The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Freaking Out! Please Help!!

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Freaking Out! Please Help!!

Participant

I don’t  know if I’m being paranoid or if I have a reason to worry, but right on the scar from my WLE, pretty close to my original site, I found what looks to be a bad mole. I can’t see it myself because it’s on my back so I only have a picture to look at. I’m trying to figure out how to post a picture here but I don’t know how. If I figure it out I would appreciate any input I can get. I’m calling the doctor first thing in the morning but in the meantime I’m going to be scared all night! Can this even happen only 4 months after surgery?  Wouldn’t being on Opdivo help?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        kcmtnbiker
        Participant

From my personal experance, I did have some initial tumor growth, some new and some just got bigger, when I started on Opdivo. My Oncologist said that this was not abnormal. As I understood it, when your immuin system starts fighting the cancer it will surround the cancer cells and cause some apparant growth. This is a good thing as the additional cells that are causing the growth are attacking the cancer. I was several months into the Opdio treatments before I started noticing the various melanoma spots start to melt away. I was NED for a year as a result.

aldrichdesigner
          Participant
            I don’t want to worry you more but my doc always told me the original site has a high likelihood of repeat primaries, so I have always watched my skin graft closely. Again, it can just as easily be benign, you won’t know until your Dermatologist looks and/or does a biopsy. Thats the only way to know for sure. No one is going to be a able to tell you from a picture and if they say they can then they are lying to you.

As for growing moles while on opdivo, opdivo does not necessarily work for everyone. Again, not trying to scare you, I’m just being honest with you. Just stay calm and talk to your Dermatologist. If it is back, just look at it this way, you caught it quickly because of everything else.

Susanlee528
              Participant

Thanks so much for the responses! I saw my dermatologist today. She felt that the spot I saw was a freckle or mole that got stretched out by the scar tissue. She wasn’t overly concerned, but she took a biopsy to be safe. I was very happy to have that done! I told her, feel free to take a chunk out of every mole on my body if you want! LOL.  So, I feel a little bit better but I won’t be able to relax until I get the results back. 

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics