The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Found an irregular mole and a lympth node on the same side!

Forums General Melanoma Community Found an irregular mole and a lympth node on the same side!

Participant
      I’m really panicking I’ve had a painless enlarged node on my neck for about 2 weeks and today I shaved my head for summer and noticed this large brown irregular mole I literally can breathe from worry judging by the looks can you please tell me if it’s a suspicious lesion? I have no idea if it’s changed or been there for a long time.

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        Patrisa
        Participant

Not every mole that looks weird is melanoma, so try and keep calm but definitely go and check it out…

even if it turns out to be mel, there are great chances that you just have to remove it and you re done….

all best to you!

UriahPH
            Participant

I'm going to go to the doctors on Monday. Do you think it looks like something to be worried about?

UriahPH
              Participant

I'm going to go to the doctors on Monday. Do you think it looks like something to be worried about?

UriahPH
                Participant

Patrisa
                Participant

Not every mole that looks weird is melanoma, so try and keep calm but definitely go and check it out…

even if it turns out to be mel, there are great chances that you just have to remove it and you re done….

all best to you!

Patrisa
                  Participant

all best to you!

UriahPH
                    Participant

Also do moles that look like this turn out to be benigh often?

UriahPH
                      Participant

UriahPH
                        Participant

Patrisa
                          Participant

Well, to me, honestly, it looks like something that needs attention, but it can turn out to be nothing serious… Of course there is a chance of malignancy, but then again, it can be 'just' melanoma in situ, basal cell karcinoma, nothing or something… Either way, once it's removed or biopsied, you will know more, until then breathe and stay positive… And don't read this forum too much, because you will read stuff that probably isn't related to your situation and will freak out unnesseceraly…

good thing is that you found it, so you can do something about it…

malignant melanoma is rare compared to other 'skin issues' so the chances are huge that you will fall into some different kind of diagnosis (if any!)

keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Patrisa
                            Participant

Well, to me, honestly, it looks like something that needs attention, but it can turn out to be nothing serious… Of course there is a chance of malignancy, but then again, it can be 'just' melanoma in situ, basal cell karcinoma, nothing or something… Either way, once it's removed or biopsied, you will know more, until then breathe and stay positive… And don't read this forum too much, because you will read stuff that probably isn't related to your situation and will freak out unnesseceraly…

malignant melanoma is rare compared to other 'skin issues' so the chances are huge that you will fall into some different kind of diagnosis (if any!)

Patrisa
                              Participant

UriahPH
                                Participant
                                  If it ends up looking ok under a Dermascope should I still push for a biopsy or just watch it?
                                  UriahPH
                                  Participant
                                    If it ends up looking ok under a Dermascope should I still push for a biopsy or just watch it?
                                      Patrisa
                                      Participant

please dont jump the gun and make decisidions ahead, listen to your derm and go from there… He/she will know exactly what to do after they will look at it…

if i was in your shoes, i would get to the bottom of it, cause i can t relax unless i know for sure…

missdiagnosis happen, when my father had sub mel, derm thought it was adenoma (benign mass) and if we didnt do biopsy he wouldn t be here today…

So, bottom line, do everything you can to be 100% sure you have a right diagnosis, otherwise you will never stop to worry…

Patrisa
                                        Participant

please dont jump the gun and make decisidions ahead, listen to your derm and go from there… He/she will know exactly what to do after they will look at it…

if i was in your shoes, i would get to the bottom of it, cause i can t relax unless i know for sure…

missdiagnosis happen, when my father had sub mel, derm thought it was adenoma (benign mass) and if we didnt do biopsy he wouldn t be here today…

So, bottom line, do everything you can to be 100% sure you have a right diagnosis, otherwise you will never stop to worry…

Patrisa
                                          Participant

UriahPH
                                          Participant
                                            UriahPH
                                            Participant
                                              I couldn’t help it and looked at Melanoma images and I’m going to have a panic attack here, I’m almost certain it’s Melanoma.
                                                Patrisa
                                                Participant

Dear friend, dont panic, nothing is as bad as it seems at first!! You might have mel, yes, but you also might have something else (or nothing!)

so, panic without info is pointless! I know its hard but you are not doing yourself a favor by stressing out so much…

Know that no matter what it is, it can be treated (successfully!) and i'm sure you shaving your head happened for a reason!

there are great chances you caught it early (if its mel) and will be absolutely fine!!!

worst case scenarios (stage IV) are faaar from where you are right now so please stay positive, there are MUCH greater chances you are dealing with nothing serious than with mel, but even if you are, there are so many great options to get this under control…

Patrisa
                                                  Participant

Dear friend, dont panic, nothing is as bad as it seems at first!! You might have mel, yes, but you also might have something else (or nothing!)

so, panic without info is pointless! I know its hard but you are not doing yourself a favor by stressing out so much…

Know that no matter what it is, it can be treated (successfully!) and i'm sure you shaving your head happened for a reason!

there are great chances you caught it early (if its mel) and will be absolutely fine!!!

worst case scenarios (stage IV) are faaar from where you are right now so please stay positive, there are MUCH greater chances you are dealing with nothing serious than with mel, but even if you are, there are so many great options to get this under control…

Patrisa
                                                    Participant

UriahPH
                                                      Participant
                                                        So you think chances are it’s benigh?
                                                        UriahPH
                                                        Participant
                                                          Patrisa
                                                          Participant

Of course that is a possibility! No one can really tell by just looking at it, unfortunately…

just keep calm and know that whatever it is, it can be treated…

all best to you!

Patrisa
                                                            Participant

Of course that is a possibility! No one can really tell by just looking at it, unfortunately…

all best to you!

Patrisa
                                                              Participant

all best to you!

UriahPH
                                                                Participant
                                                                UriahPH
                                                                Participant
                                                                  I couldn’t help it and looked at Melanoma images and I’m going to have a panic attack here, I’m almost certain it’s Melanoma.
                                                                  UriahPH
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Bdk2727
                                                                    Participant

Hey man, I'm in the exact same boat as you. A little over a month ago I shaved down the sides and back of my head.  Where a small pinkish tan colored mole/mark used to be, now has morphed into a very sinister looking growth.  The possibilities have really been eating at me so yesterday I finally went to my doctor. …and they were CLOSED for the Memorial Day weekend!!!  Just my luck!  I'll go back early next week and update when I can. Im really worried as about 5 years ago, I had a growth removed from my back that turned out to be a dysplastic Spitz nevus.  And from what I understand, if you have the one, you're more likely to develop the other.        …on another note,  I admit that I have been spending WAY too much time on this website, definitely freaking myself out, hopefully unnecessarily.  But just wanted to say I admire you all and wish everyone the best of luck.  Hope I don't have to join the "club", but if I do, it's good to know there is a place to go for support! Take care all!

Bdk2727
                                                                      Participant

Hey man, I'm in the exact same boat as you. A little over a month ago I shaved down the sides and back of my head.  Where a small pinkish tan colored mole/mark used to be, now has morphed into a very sinister looking growth.  The possibilities have really been eating at me so yesterday I finally went to my doctor. …and they were CLOSED for the Memorial Day weekend!!!  Just my luck!  I'll go back early next week and update when I can. Im really worried as about 5 years ago, I had a growth removed from my back that turned out to be a dysplastic Spitz nevus.  And from what I understand, if you have the one, you're more likely to develop the other.        …on another note,  I admit that I have been spending WAY too much time on this website, definitely freaking myself out, hopefully unnecessarily.  But just wanted to say I admire you all and wish everyone the best of luck.  Hope I don't have to join the "club", but if I do, it's good to know there is a place to go for support! Take care all!

Patrisa
                                                                          Participant

sometimes mel can look pretty harmless, other times a spot looks like a melanoma beast and turns out to be something totally different… So again, breathe and keep calm, cause you really cant self diagnose, its pointless and probably wrong…

I trully hope both of you get some great news and get the heck out of this place :-))))))

Patrisa
                                                                            Participant

sometimes mel can look pretty harmless, other times a spot looks like a melanoma beast and turns out to be something totally different… So again, breathe and keep calm, cause you really cant self diagnose, its pointless and probably wrong…

I trully hope both of you get some great news and get the heck out of this place :-))))))

Patrisa
                                                                              Participant

Patrisa
                                                                                Participant

Patrisa
                                                                                  Participant

Patrisa
                                                                                    Participant

Bdk2727
                                                                                    Participant

UriahPH
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        Heya

Yeah I have too. I seem to have quite a lot of moles and since last November have been almost obsessed with checking my moles for Melanoma. I had two removed so far and both came back ok. I’ve found some quite large ones on my head that are about 4-6mm so I’d like to get them checked out too.

If I’m honest part of the reason I shaved my head was because I wanted to see the moles. It really been eating at me and I can’t focus on my daily life even to the point I’m getting into arguments withy wife because I’m so convinced I’ve got Melanoma. In my mind at least one of the moles on my head is Melanoma and I literally can’t reason with that. The fact one of my lympth nodes is up sort of confirms it in my mind.

stars
                                                                                          Participant

You don't have melanoma, you have health anxiety. Do your annual skin checks (or whatever is recommended) then get some help for the anxiety. Seriously. Don't let the anxiety ruin your life.

UriahPH
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              Heya I’m jist wondering if you see the picture? It looks like like Melanoma
                                                                                              jennunicorn
                                                                                              Participant

A lot of benign lesions "look" like melanoma and a lot of regular moles have turned out to be melanoma. One thing to remember is melanoma doesn't always "follow the rules". You cannot judge whether a mole is melanoma just by looking at it. Only a biopsy can tell you. 

jennunicorn
                                                                                                Participant

A lot of benign lesions "look" like melanoma and a lot of regular moles have turned out to be melanoma. One thing to remember is melanoma doesn't always "follow the rules". You cannot judge whether a mole is melanoma just by looking at it. Only a biopsy can tell you. 

jennunicorn
                                                                                                  Participant

stars
                                                                                                    Participant

I looked at it and had my usual 'meh' response to people who DON'T yet have any indication of a melanoma diagnosis yet post to melanoma boards designed for people who DO have melanoma. Why would you waste your time here? I'm going to be as clear as I can:

No-one – not you, not me, not anyone on this board, and not your doctor – can tell if this is melanoma with the naked eye

There is only one person in the world who can

That person is the pathologist who biopsies the mole e.g., slices and dices it under a microscope

So regardless of what you think, or anyone here says, no-one – not me, not you, not anyone on this board, and not your doctor – can tell you if your mole is, or is even likely to be, melanoma. Even taking a guess would be somewhat foolish.

A smart doctor would look at it WITH A DERMATOSCOPE (make sure they use a dermatoscope), say that it has some worrying features (or not) and might need a biopsy (or note). That would be the extent of what a doctor can tell you, or any other patient who need a biopsy (or not).

You are doing the right thing getting it checked out, there's a more than likely chance that it's nothing, so please stop worrying until the moment you actually get a diagnosis (which probably won't happen).

stars
                                                                                                      Participant

I looked at it and had my usual 'meh' response to people who DON'T yet have any indication of a melanoma diagnosis yet post to melanoma boards designed for people who DO have melanoma. Why would you waste your time here? I'm going to be as clear as I can:

No-one – not you, not me, not anyone on this board, and not your doctor – can tell if this is melanoma with the naked eye

That person is the pathologist who biopsies the mole e.g., slices and dices it under a microscope

So regardless of what you think, or anyone here says, no-one – not me, not you, not anyone on this board, and not your doctor – can tell you if your mole is, or is even likely to be, melanoma. Even taking a guess would be somewhat foolish.

A smart doctor would look at it WITH A DERMATOSCOPE (make sure they use a dermatoscope), say that it has some worrying features (or not) and might need a biopsy (or note). That would be the extent of what a doctor can tell you, or any other patient who need a biopsy (or not).

You are doing the right thing getting it checked out, there's a more than likely chance that it's nothing, so please stop worrying until the moment you actually get a diagnosis (which probably won't happen).

stars
                                                                                                        Participant

UriahPH
                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                            UriahPH
                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                              stars
                                                                                                              Participant

You don't have melanoma, you have health anxiety. Do your annual skin checks (or whatever is recommended) then get some help for the anxiety. Seriously. Don't let the anxiety ruin your life.

stars
                                                                                                                Participant

UriahPH
                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                  Heya

Yeah I have too. I seem to have quite a lot of moles and since last November have been almost obsessed with checking my moles for Melanoma. I had two removed so far and both came back ok. I’ve found some quite large ones on my head that are about 4-6mm so I’d like to get them checked out too.

If I’m honest part of the reason I shaved my head was because I wanted to see the moles. It really been eating at me and I can’t focus on my daily life even to the point I’m getting into arguments withy wife because I’m so convinced I’ve got Melanoma. In my mind at least one of the moles on my head is Melanoma and I literally can’t reason with that. The fact one of my lympth nodes is up sort of confirms it in my mind.

UriahPH
                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                    Heya

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics