The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Foot bone met…. radiation??

Forums General Melanoma Community Foot bone met…. radiation??

Participant

We got the confirmation today that one of the bones in my husbands foot has been taken over by melanoma (supposedly rare). Our options are 1- continue to deal with pain or 2- try radiation. We are wondering has anyone had radiation to foot? This is his first bone met so not even sure what bone radiation is like? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

Oh my,that is just terrible news. Iam sorry to hear that.

Do they consider a new met in the bone "progression? Will your husband still be able to stay trial? I am a newbie and trying to understand clinial trial rules. Thank you in advance for answering my question.

I wish you the best with his treatment.

killmel
          Participant

Do they consider a new met in the bone "progression? Will your husband still be able to stay trial? I am a newbie and trying to understand clinial trial rules. Thank you in advance for answering my question.

killmel
            Participant

Tamils
              Participant

My father had radiation to the spine to treat a bone met there that was causing him a lot of pain and starting to encroach on the spinal column.  They warned that he could only have a single course of radiation to a single site (maybe this is the same for all types of radiation? not sure), so if it came back, there would be no other targeted (nonsystemic) option.  He had two weeks of daily radiation to the site and less than a week in, his pain had gone away and did not return.  The tumor was shown to have greatly decreased.  He had no side effects other than mild sunburn-like skin irritation at the radiation site, treatable with OTC cream, and fatigue.  My best wishes to you.  

shanemcdonald99
                  Participant

I had the same experience as stated above ^

I did get nausea from the radiation though. It was on my lower back / spine.

Best regards

Shane

shanemcdonald99
                    Participant

Best regards

Shane

shanemcdonald99
                      Participant

Best regards

Shane

Tamils
                      Participant

My father had radiation to the spine to treat a bone met there that was causing him a lot of pain and starting to encroach on the spinal column.  They warned that he could only have a single course of radiation to a single site (maybe this is the same for all types of radiation? not sure), so if it came back, there would be no other targeted (nonsystemic) option.  He had two weeks of daily radiation to the site and less than a week in, his pain had gone away and did not return.  The tumor was shown to have greatly decreased.  He had no side effects other than mild sunburn-like skin irritation at the radiation site, treatable with OTC cream, and fatigue.  My best wishes to you.  

Tamils
                        Participant

arthurjedi007
                          Participant

Radiation to the bone depends on the amount. I had 30 gray in 10 fractions last summer to t8,t9,t10,t11 vertebrae. Just finished 30 gray in 5 fractions to t10 vertebrae.

Most likely the radiation will shrink it but most likely will not get rid of it but it depends on the amount of radiation.

My side affects were very minor. Little upset stomach and fatigue but really not worth mentioning they were so minor.

arthurjedi007
                            Participant

Radiation to the bone depends on the amount. I had 30 gray in 10 fractions last summer to t8,t9,t10,t11 vertebrae. Just finished 30 gray in 5 fractions to t10 vertebrae.

Most likely the radiation will shrink it but most likely will not get rid of it but it depends on the amount of radiation.

My side affects were very minor. Little upset stomach and fatigue but really not worth mentioning they were so minor.

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics