The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Follow up dermatologist visits

Forums General Melanoma Community Follow up dermatologist visits

Participant

I am on my second quarterly dermatologist visit since being diagnosed with stage 2a melanoma.  The first visit the doctor found 3 spots he wanted checked out, a shave biopsy, a punch biopsy, and a excision with .5 cm margins(no biopsy).  I had to get them all done on separate days.   Now I just got my second check up and he wants to do three more biopsies; two punch, one shave.  All on seperate visits.  They say that they can't do more than one biopsy on the same day.  Is this customary? 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        SoCalDave
        Participant

I'd ask why.

My record is 9 spots removed in 1 sitting.

Last month it was 3 removed in 1 appointment.

I've stopped counting on how many I've had removed – maybe 40 in all.

With my history (3b, CLND, etc.) they are pretty agressive which I like. My motto is ""when in doubt; cut it out"!

David

SoCalDave
          Participant

I'd ask why.

With my history (3b, CLND, etc.) they are pretty agressive which I like. My motto is ""when in doubt; cut it out"!

David

Fsudom959
              Participant

I asked why the first time and the office woman said it would be "too much for one visit."  I told her I think I can handle it and she replied with "the insurance doesn't allow multiple biopsies per visit."  I called my insurance today and they said there is no limit to how many biopsies can be performed in a day.

SoCalDave
                Participant

Not sure where you live, but I'd be looking around for another derm.

Sounds to me like they're just scheduling multiple visits in order to bill the insurance company for more money.

Ask the doc directly why they can't do all 3. Lots of times there is a big disconnect between the doc and the front office and/or nurse.

Although I don't recommend it, I don't even go back to get the stitches out. Just do it myself. I started a new job and there is no way I can keep taking time off. 

What area are you in?

David

SoCalDave
                  Participant

Sounds to me like they're just scheduling multiple visits in order to bill the insurance company for more money.

Ask the doc directly why they can't do all 3. Lots of times there is a big disconnect between the doc and the front office and/or nurse.

Although I don't recommend it, I don't even go back to get the stitches out. Just do it myself. I started a new job and there is no way I can keep taking time off. 

What area are you in?

David

SoCalDave
                    Participant

What area are you in?

David

Fsudom959
                      Participant

Thanks for both of your replies.  I called my doctor and he straight up told me that he doesn't make as much money when he does them all in the same day.  He said I could either stick with him and get them on seperate days or go to a doctor that is willing to do them in the same day.  I said I preferred him to do the biopsies in one day, to which he replied "well that's not going to happen."  Looks like I'm looking for a new dermatologist.  By the way I live in Florida.

SoCalDave
                        Participant

Wow, I guess he's taken a different Hippocratic Oath – the one that says I'm in it for the money.

I'd be out of there in a heartbeat.

Isn't Moffitt Cancer Center out your way? I'm on the opposite coast, but I think they are a "Cancer Center of Excellence".

If I was in FL that's where I'd start.

David

SoCalDave
                          Participant

Wow, I guess he's taken a different Hippocratic Oath – the one that says I'm in it for the money.

Isn't Moffitt Cancer Center out your way? I'm on the opposite coast, but I think they are a "Cancer Center of Excellence".

David

SoCalDave
                            Participant

David

Fsudom959
                              Participant

I actually went to Moffitt to take care of my Melanoma, but they said to get my quarterly checkups locally.  I've  already found a new Dermatologist that comes highly recommended.  Thanks to you and Polymath for your replies.  

Fsudom959
                                Participant

I actually went to Moffitt to take care of my Melanoma, but they said to get my quarterly checkups locally.  I've  already found a new Dermatologist that comes highly recommended.  Thanks to you and Polymath for your replies.  

vlmd1986
                                  Participant

Sorry I'm late to this post, but I'm horrified by your experience with your previous dermatologist. As a pathologist-in-training and a fellow melanoma survivor (stage 3a), I cannot believe your dermatologist would make you schedule separate appointments for each biopsy. As soon as I read your initial post, I knew that it was absolutely all about the money. The dermatologist could biopsy all three spots in one $250 visit, or have you come 3 times for $150 each (I made those numbers up, but you get the point!). Obviously the latter situation nets him more money but is WAAAYYYY more inconvenient (and EXPENSIVE) for you. I'm embarrassed that this completely unprofessional physician is a member of my profession. If I were you, I'd report him to the medical board for his lack of professionalism/humanity. And I sincerely hope you never encounter another physician like him! Best of luck with your new derm ๐Ÿ™‚

vlmd1986
                                    Participant

Sorry I'm late to this post, but I'm horrified by your experience with your previous dermatologist. As a pathologist-in-training and a fellow melanoma survivor (stage 3a), I cannot believe your dermatologist would make you schedule separate appointments for each biopsy. As soon as I read your initial post, I knew that it was absolutely all about the money. The dermatologist could biopsy all three spots in one $250 visit, or have you come 3 times for $150 each (I made those numbers up, but you get the point!). Obviously the latter situation nets him more money but is WAAAYYYY more inconvenient (and EXPENSIVE) for you. I'm embarrassed that this completely unprofessional physician is a member of my profession. If I were you, I'd report him to the medical board for his lack of professionalism/humanity. And I sincerely hope you never encounter another physician like him! Best of luck with your new derm ๐Ÿ™‚

vlmd1986
                                      Participant

Fsudom959
                                        Participant

Fsudom959
                                          Participant

Thanks for both of your replies.  I called my doctor and he straight up told me that he doesn't make as much money when he does them all in the same day.  He said I could either stick with him and get them on seperate days or go to a doctor that is willing to do them in the same day.  I said I preferred him to do the biopsies in one day, to which he replied "well that's not going to happen."  Looks like I'm looking for a new dermatologist.  By the way I live in Florida.

Fsudom959
                                            Participant

Fsudom959
                                              Participant

I asked why the first time and the office woman said it would be "too much for one visit."  I told her I think I can handle it and she replied with "the insurance doesn't allow multiple biopsies per visit."  I called my insurance today and they said there is no limit to how many biopsies can be performed in a day.

Fsudom959
                                                Participant

SoCalDave
                                                Participant

I'd ask why.

David

Polymath
                                                  Participant

Hello,

I'm in agreement with SoCalDave.  The idea they can only handle one biopsy is ridiculous.  I too had 9 lesions removed at one visit although my derm said that was his personal record.  Good thing too as 7 of them came back positive as squamous cell carcinoma.  As an aside, I had never had a squamous cell before and it was a direct side-effect of the drug Zelboraf, treating the melanoma.  Go figure…an anti-cancer drug gives you a new type of cancer.  Find a new derm or treatment facility.

Polymath
                                                    Participant

Hello,

I'm in agreement with SoCalDave.  The idea they can only handle one biopsy is ridiculous.  I too had 9 lesions removed at one visit although my derm said that was his personal record.  Good thing too as 7 of them came back positive as squamous cell carcinoma.  As an aside, I had never had a squamous cell before and it was a direct side-effect of the drug Zelboraf, treating the melanoma.  Go figure…an anti-cancer drug gives you a new type of cancer.  Find a new derm or treatment facility.

Polymath
                                                      Participant

Hello,

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics