The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Flu Vaccine while on Nivolumab?

Forums General Melanoma Community Flu Vaccine while on Nivolumab?

Participant
      I’m in my early 30s and haven’t had the flu in over 20 years. I’ve had the flu vaccine twice during that period and both times I got sick, not flu but some cold like symptoms right after the shot.

So normally I wouldn’t want the vaccine, but since I’m going to be around so many people with compromised immune systems, I’m thinking about it this year.

There’s some reports of exaggerated immune response to the vaccine while on pd1 inhibitors, but no thorough studies that I’ve seen. Does anyone have experience with that?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

I got my flu shot a couple of weeks ago, my arm got super sore for a few days after, way more than pre-nivo, so the immune response is definitely stronger but nothing major and didn't get any cold-like symptoms. 

JuTMSY4
          Participant

Got mine while on Pembro.  My doc was fine with it and I didn't have an issues other than feeling a little icky for a few days.  

Linda5
            Participant

My doc told me not to get it while on immunotherapy (Keytruda). Personally would let your doctor make the call.

mrsaxde
              Participant

Last year while being treated with Keytruda at the local cancer center my oncologist said getting the shot was fine. This year I'm in a trial at Johns Hopkins and I thought it would be a good idea to ask again. My doctor there said getting the shot was fine, just not the nasal spray version, which uses live virus.

guynamedbilly
                  Participant

Thanks everyone.  My oncologist said she thought it was fine to do if I wanted to.  I've got a pet scan coming up, so I'll get the vaccine after that.

My oncologist was all for it last year and this year.  So far I've gotten it both years with no negative effects except some slight soreness around the injection site.  Not as bad as a tetnus shot.  I should say that since I have asthma I've been getting the flu shot as many years as it's been offered.  The one year there was a shortage and I wasn't able to get it I had a very bad case of the flu.  It took almost a month to recover.  I was nearly hospitalized.

Smeeeee
                  Participant

I am also in my early 30s. Got a flu shot the same day I had my first infusion which was just this Wednesday. Shoulder is still very tender (Friday). Have been experiencing flu-like symptoms. But given how I’m already feeling I wouldn’t want the flu proper. This is endurable. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics