The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Flaking/Peeling Mole?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Flaking/Peeling Mole?

Participant

Hi everyone,

I have a small black mole that about a year ago just started to occasionally flake and peel. If I look at it with a flashlight it's two different shades of brown/black. Sometimes it even grows black areas that flake off. I showed it to my GP and she said it's benign but I'm not fully convinced.

It hasn't changed in size at all but it does look different because of the flaking and peeling and regrowth of skin.

Is a mole that flakes and peels a sign of melanoma?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Nanners10
        Participant
          No one can be sure until a biopsy is performed. That being said, my mole did flake and peel and it was a melanoma. I say better safe than sorry and insist it be removed.

Nancy

ariana.bennett
            Participant

Did your mole present any symptoms other than flaking and peeling? Because those are the only symptoms I have. Can you describe exactly what happened with your mole? Sorry I'm just so worried.

Janner
            Participant

Honestly, it sounds more like a seborrheic keratosis.  Benign lesions that can look like melanoma but are typically easy to distinguish when you look closely.  (I have several I wish I could get rid of).  They often get a "top" to them.  However, none of us can diagnose so you have to work with your doctor if you want it biopsied.

ariana.bennett
                Participant

I don't think its an SK because that happens to older people and I'm only 18.

Janner
                  Participant

Then maybe you should see a dermatologist.  Take a photo of it so you have a reference point.  Then see a doctor who specializes in skin instead of a GP – they don't have the best track record diagnosing melanoma.

ariana.bennett
                    Participant

I'll book an appointment. Does it sound like a melanoma to you? It's really small and hasn't grown so I'm not sure.

Janner
                      Participant

Most likely not, but melanoma is an individual disease and we can only go by generalizations.  However, since you are concerned, it means it is worth getting it checked by an expert.

bjeans
                        Participant

I had an actinic keratosis way back in my 20s. The dermatologist who removed it was surprised because of my age, but it happens. Regardless, you want to have it checked out.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics