The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Five month roller coaster ride and still rolling.

Forums General Melanoma Community Five month roller coaster ride and still rolling.

Participant

This is all happening very quickly for me.  I felt a lump on the left side of my face May 6th.  June 6th, I had a total left parotidectomy and radical disection of the the lymph nodes/glands of the left side of my neck.  The primary melanoma was never located nor identified.  After testing and randomization, my first infusion was July 30th.  I had 2 infusions of ipilimumab and had diarreah for a few days before I was to have my 3rd infusion.  It [diarreah] stopped after 2 days of Budesonide and Imodium.  It [diarreah] resumed three days later, the weekend before my rescheduled [3rd] infusion.  I also had a temperarure of 101.7 F.  I was hospitalized.   A colonoscopy confirmed ipilimummab induced colotis.  I'm on a steroid regemin [Prednisone starting 120 mg and tapering].  The oncology team told me I will remain in the clinical trial but will not be resuming the infusions. I had just 2 infusions of 3 mg/ Kg body weight.   I am now dealing with colotis.   It's been a five month roller coater ride.  The half full glass theory is that my immune system has been activated.  Now it needs direction.

My father died of metastic melanoma January 1989.  I turned 71 this past March.  I joined the clinical trial [E 1609] for my dad, my daughters, and my grandchildren.]

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Momrn5
        Participant
          I am also new to the diagnosis. Stage 3. I too was offered a trial. The MLST 2, randomization into a wait and watch arm versus a completion groin dissection. This trial was offered because apparently I am low risk for reoccurrence even with a small amount of cancerous cells in the sentinel node. After much research, I chose not to participate and to go ahead with the dissection. While researching, I came across the trial that you are participating in and thought, well that is what I would do if I need to. There can be bad side effects with these drugs but they do offer some benefit for a sub set of people with Melanoma. So sorry that you have to deal with this illness as well as the diagnosis. Hang in there. You very well may get some benefit from the drug even though you aren’t completing the full dose. I have read that people respond without having the full course of treatment with ipi. I read your profile and found that you also had a family member with Melanoma. I have a first cousin with pancreatic cancer. There is some indication that the 2 dx. are connected. I am going to volunteer for a research study that is going on in relation to the familial tendency between these 2 cancers. Research is so important for people, I applaud you for going into the trial. Best wishes to you.
            jogo
            Participant

Thank you.  My older daughter told me to get into a gentic testing program for pancreatc and breast cancer.  My both my father's sisters had breast cancer as well and the daughter of one of my aunts.  (The other had sons.)  My 2 daughters comprise the only non single female per generation in my mother's family for  six generatios that we know of.  The colitis is easing up.  I've learned to spell it [colitis] ]correctly.   The Prednisone is making me a little hyper but I'm dealing.  My sense of humor helps.  The irony is  I have always been the care giver.  My husband had a heart attack at age 36  [1976]; quadripple by-pass at forty[1981].  He had stents and a pacemaker/defibrilater/cardio-ventrical syncronization device implanted this century.  I've been the care giver for my parents, our diabled [younger] daughter and him. They [husbandand daughters] are holding up, but I'm worried about them.  I'm very aware  that there are families younger than mine dealing with this [cancer].  I'm 71.  When I was recieving my first infustion there was a young woman being treated, as part of a clinical trial, for inopperable brain cancer. She was young enough to be my granddaughter.   As much a I may regret things done and not done, I did have the time to mess up my own life. Older daughter tells me I have to stay around to be a crabby old lady. She says I'm entitled.

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

Agree with your daughter!

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

jogo
                    Participant

Thank you.  My older daughter told me to get into a gentic testing program for pancreatc and breast cancer.  My both my father's sisters had breast cancer as well and the daughter of one of my aunts.  (The other had sons.)  My 2 daughters comprise the only non single female per generation in my mother's family for  six generatios that we know of.  The colitis is easing up.  I've learned to spell it [colitis] ]correctly.   The Prednisone is making me a little hyper but I'm dealing.  My sense of humor helps.  The irony is  I have always been the care giver.  My husband had a heart attack at age 36  [1976]; quadripple by-pass at forty[1981].  He had stents and a pacemaker/defibrilater/cardio-ventrical syncronization device implanted this century.  I've been the care giver for my parents, our diabled [younger] daughter and him. They [husbandand daughters] are holding up, but I'm worried about them.  I'm very aware  that there are families younger than mine dealing with this [cancer].  I'm 71.  When I was recieving my first infustion there was a young woman being treated, as part of a clinical trial, for inopperable brain cancer. She was young enough to be my granddaughter.   As much a I may regret things done and not done, I did have the time to mess up my own life. Older daughter tells me I have to stay around to be a crabby old lady. She says I'm entitled.

jogo
                      Participant

Momrn5
                      Participant
                        I am also new to the diagnosis. Stage 3. I too was offered a trial. The MLST 2, randomization into a wait and watch arm versus a completion groin dissection. This trial was offered because apparently I am low risk for reoccurrence even with a small amount of cancerous cells in the sentinel node. After much research, I chose not to participate and to go ahead with the dissection. While researching, I came across the trial that you are participating in and thought, well that is what I would do if I need to. There can be bad side effects with these drugs but they do offer some benefit for a sub set of people with Melanoma. So sorry that you have to deal with this illness as well as the diagnosis. Hang in there. You very well may get some benefit from the drug even though you aren’t completing the full dose. I have read that people respond without having the full course of treatment with ipi. I read your profile and found that you also had a family member with Melanoma. I have a first cousin with pancreatic cancer. There is some indication that the 2 dx. are connected. I am going to volunteer for a research study that is going on in relation to the familial tendency between these 2 cancers. Research is so important for people, I applaud you for going into the trial. Best wishes to you.
                        Momrn5
                        Participant
                      Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics