The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

fits of rage

Forums General Melanoma Community fits of rage

Participant

oh  god forgive me for complaining,my husband has stage 3 melanoma,diagnosed a year and a half ago,interferon,then mets in lung and one tumor in brain,startted ippi a few months ago ,3 treatments,newly discovered 2 tumors in brain,month of steriods,have 3 weeks to go,had cyber knife thursday and friday,  i have noticed in the past month,prior to diagnosis of new tumors,he gets in spastic fits,very mean,it can be scary,he would get a lil mad,but not like this!!!!!   i have been down this road 16 to 17 years ago with my father who had lungcancer that spread to his liver an

oh  god forgive me for complaining,my husband has stage 3 melanoma,diagnosed a year and a half ago,interferon,then mets in lung and one tumor in brain,startted ippi a few months ago ,3 treatments,newly discovered 2 tumors in brain,month of steriods,have 3 weeks to go,had cyber knife thursday and friday,  i have noticed in the past month,prior to diagnosis of new tumors,he gets in spastic fits,very mean,it can be scary,he would get a lil mad,but not like this!!!!!   i have been down this road 16 to 17 years ago with my father who had lungcancer that spread to his liver and passed away,my dad was mean anyway,but it was 10X as worse when he had cancer, i am not a mean or unsympathetic person, i cannot imagine how my husband feels or what is going thru his mind, and yes , he has every reason th be mad.   He has recently started being very,very mean in the past month,it is very hard to take,and at times i am scared,does anyone kno or any ideas if its the brain tumors causing this behavior or the ippi?  just wondering if anyone has experienced this themselves or with their spouse?  any advice would be greatful!!!!

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        lunchlady
        Participant

So sorry that you are going through this.  I don't have any answers for you, however I would like to tell you about the Melanoma Care-Givers Support Group on facebook.  It is a closed page.  I have received so much support and good advice there. 

lunchlady
          Participant

So sorry that you are going through this.  I don't have any answers for you, however I would like to tell you about the Melanoma Care-Givers Support Group on facebook.  It is a closed page.  I have received so much support and good advice there. 

lunchlady
            Participant

tasjacques
              Participant
                Hi, sorry that on top of melanoma stress you have to deal with anger issues. Is there any close friend that could help you approach the topic with him? Maybe he is just so scare that he only knows this way to expressed but you need help and support seek for it!
                I will be praying for both of you, to bring peace to your hearts.
                Elenise
                tasjacques
                Participant
                  Hi, sorry that on top of melanoma stress you have to deal with anger issues. Is there any close friend that could help you approach the topic with him? Maybe he is just so scare that he only knows this way to expressed but you need help and support seek for it!
                  Elenise
                  tasjacques
                  Participant
                    Elenise
                    Mickey n Jo
                    Participant

Haven't posted in quite awhile, still reeling from my husbands passing, but I regularly follow all on this board since you all mean a lot to me.  This question was one I just had to answer.  You said your husband has been on steroids for a month now, and the meaness has become worse during that time. My husband had that same reaction while taking steroids, and his drs. said that some people have that side effect. Unfortunately, steroids are necessary when there are brain mets.  Don't know if this is your husbands problem, but I would bring it to the attention of his drs.

Mickey n Jo
                      Participant

Haven't posted in quite awhile, still reeling from my husbands passing, but I regularly follow all on this board since you all mean a lot to me.  This question was one I just had to answer.  You said your husband has been on steroids for a month now, and the meaness has become worse during that time. My husband had that same reaction while taking steroids, and his drs. said that some people have that side effect. Unfortunately, steroids are necessary when there are brain mets.  Don't know if this is your husbands problem, but I would bring it to the attention of his drs.

Mickey n Jo
                        Participant

POW
                          Participant

I have heard of other patients going into fits of rage. It does't seem to happen often, but it does happen. It could be caused by brain damage (from the tumors or the radiation), it can be a side effect of certain drugs (especially steroids), and it could be emotional issues. But regardless of the cause, you should not tolerate his rage. If you are frightened for your physical safety, leave the house and go to a friend, family member, or to a hotel. Let him know that you will not tolerate such behavior. Does he go into rage attacks and physically threaten store clerks, doctors, friends or clergy?  If he doesnt' pull rage attacks on other people, then he can control himself with you, too. 

Meanwhile, definitely discuss this with his oncologist immediately. If the rage (or shall we say, lack of impulse control) is a side effect of medication, his doctor should be able to fix it. If the rage is emotionally-based, taking an anti-depressant will help. And if your husband is Stage IV with brain mets, he might qualify for at-home hospice care. They have a lot of experience dealing with all aspects of Stage IV disease and can be very helpful to both you and your husband. Ask the social worker at your husband's melanoma clinic for a list of local hospice organizations. 

Basically, I suggest that you: 1) understand that these rage attacks are most likely due to the disease and/or its treatments, 2) be sympathetic but do not tolerate such behavior, 3) get help from his doctor, and 4) get help from hospice or other cancer support groups. I am glad you had the courage to post about this. It probably happens more often than we realize. Let us know how things progress.

POW
                            Participant

I have heard of other patients going into fits of rage. It does't seem to happen often, but it does happen. It could be caused by brain damage (from the tumors or the radiation), it can be a side effect of certain drugs (especially steroids), and it could be emotional issues. But regardless of the cause, you should not tolerate his rage. If you are frightened for your physical safety, leave the house and go to a friend, family member, or to a hotel. Let him know that you will not tolerate such behavior. Does he go into rage attacks and physically threaten store clerks, doctors, friends or clergy?  If he doesnt' pull rage attacks on other people, then he can control himself with you, too. 

Meanwhile, definitely discuss this with his oncologist immediately. If the rage (or shall we say, lack of impulse control) is a side effect of medication, his doctor should be able to fix it. If the rage is emotionally-based, taking an anti-depressant will help. And if your husband is Stage IV with brain mets, he might qualify for at-home hospice care. They have a lot of experience dealing with all aspects of Stage IV disease and can be very helpful to both you and your husband. Ask the social worker at your husband's melanoma clinic for a list of local hospice organizations. 

Basically, I suggest that you: 1) understand that these rage attacks are most likely due to the disease and/or its treatments, 2) be sympathetic but do not tolerate such behavior, 3) get help from his doctor, and 4) get help from hospice or other cancer support groups. I am glad you had the courage to post about this. It probably happens more often than we realize. Let us know how things progress.

POW
                              Participant

jaketheflake
                                Participant

thank you soo much much for the advice,i noticed  the behavior about a month a go prior to being diagnosed with 2 new tumors on his brain,he has been on the steriods for about a week and a half,thats when these "fits" started,no patience,extremely agitated,etc., it is very hurtful,embarassing and scary,he seems to be like this with me,but, his sister did notice it awhile ago,too.   i have not talked to him since the car parking episode at lowes this afternoon,he realized wat he did,but never apologized.  i pray this is not the start of a very long road,it is hard enuff to deal with this disease with a loved one,but i don't think i can go thru this again.   thank you and i will definitely call his oncologist and neurosurgeon and support on facebook!!!!  thank you soo much for responding,this can be a touchy subject…

jaketheflake
                                  Participant

thank you soo much much for the advice,i noticed  the behavior about a month a go prior to being diagnosed with 2 new tumors on his brain,he has been on the steriods for about a week and a half,thats when these "fits" started,no patience,extremely agitated,etc., it is very hurtful,embarassing and scary,he seems to be like this with me,but, his sister did notice it awhile ago,too.   i have not talked to him since the car parking episode at lowes this afternoon,he realized wat he did,but never apologized.  i pray this is not the start of a very long road,it is hard enuff to deal with this disease with a loved one,but i don't think i can go thru this again.   thank you and i will definitely call his oncologist and neurosurgeon and support on facebook!!!!  thank you soo much for responding,this can be a touchy subject…

jaketheflake
                                    Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics