The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

First treatment yesterday

Forums General Melanoma Community First treatment yesterday

Participant

I had my first treatment yesterday – yervoy and opdivo. Twelve hours later I feel like I've been 15 rounds with someone half my age. And a fever. It's not high enough to call back on. Hopefully it won't get there either.  All I can say at this point: ouch, I ache.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        DocPain
        Participant

Update. I am staying vertical, active (walking), and pushing LOTS of water. Temperature has come down to almost normal and some of the aches are better.

Nicklindner
          Participant

Hang in there – If you havn't already heard this yet you will Everybody responds differently to this treatment.  Some good advice I was given when I started back in December was when you start to feel the side effects just remember that it is your body responding to the treatment. 

The next day after I got the combo I could barely get out of bed – the fatigue was crazy but it always got better.  I experienced new side effects at each subsequent treatment and only made it through 3.  Your experience could be very different from mine though.

Best of luck with your treatment – if you have any future questions this is a great forum to bounce them off of. 

DocPain
              Participant

Thanks for the encouraging words, I appreciate that.

Hukill
              Participant

I have been on the drugs going on 10 months. The first 4 weeks or so were lots of fatigue, rash (mine never itched) and loss of appetite. Still worked 3 or 4 days a week. After that things got better but always side effects which I took as a good thing because my immune system was reacting to the drugs. I work full time and still go do the things I did before the cancer. I did run fever for 6 weeks which after many tests was determined to be just a side effect. Motrin every 2 hours kept it under control, yes I know that was self medicating but any sane person in my shoes would have done the same thing. The chills were so bad I would spend my lunch hour sitting in my truck with a jacket on running the heater in August in south Texas.

DocPain
                  Participant

Austin in August?  I know a little something about what that's like. Before I moved to Southern New Mexico I lived in the DFW area and was wearing long sleeves all the time.

Beyond the chills did you have intense body ache?

ToddG
                  Participant

My first treatment was one week ago. I've had fever, chills and fatigue most of the week.  I have to stay on top of my ibu (600-800mg) every 6-8 hours and tylenol (200mg) every 4-6 or the side effects show themself.  If not, fever will spike to the 102.5 area and chills as described above.  Also, I had several nights of sweats so bad I would be soaked, along with the pillow, sheets, dog, whatever was near!  I just got back from having an echocardiogram as the oncologist wants to make sure the irregular heartbeat he heard yesterday is not the beginning of cardiomyopathy.  Keep your spirits up and stay on top of your meds.  My side effects did not start until the day after.

Todd

DocPain
                      Participant

Have you had trouble getting comfortable enough to sleep?

ToddG
                        Participant

With joint and muscle pain and the lymph under my arm protruding, it has been difficult to get comfortable. I do fall asleep but wake up frequently, especially with the night sweats. Since passing the sweats hurdle, been sleeping better.  The joint and muscle pain has subsided with the ibu/tylenol regimine.  Doing better one week out.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics