The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

First Ipi Infusion

Forums General Melanoma Community First Ipi Infusion

Participant

Hello Everyone,

I had my first infusion of ipi yesterday on the 4th of July.  I'm thinking that's a sign.  Freedom from Melanoma!

So I have a few questions that if you could share your stories with me.

My main goal in taking ipi is to help me become stable for Anti PD 1 trial.  It didn't cross my mind that Ipi could work on me.  Now I might just be wishful thinking but I swear the sub q on my arm is smaller.  Since it's only been 1 day I"m wondering if anyone has ever seen immediate response?  

Hello Everyone,

I had my first infusion of ipi yesterday on the 4th of July.  I'm thinking that's a sign.  Freedom from Melanoma!

So I have a few questions that if you could share your stories with me.

My main goal in taking ipi is to help me become stable for Anti PD 1 trial.  It didn't cross my mind that Ipi could work on me.  Now I might just be wishful thinking but I swear the sub q on my arm is smaller.  Since it's only been 1 day I"m wondering if anyone has ever seen immediate response?  

If I'm a responder, how long does it last?  If I'm reading things right it could be years.  Does it have a tendency to stop like Z?

Thanks for your help

Denise

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        AllyNTAus
        Participant
          Denise I can’t answer your questions but I hope with all my might that you do get a great if not complete response, and that may leave Anti PD1 up your sleeve for some other time. I am desperately looking forward to my first dose of Ipi, it is a few weeks away at least yet, have my cardiac met resection to go thru next week first.
          All the best and hoping to hear good news from you,
          Ally
          AllyNTAus
          Participant
            Denise I can’t answer your questions but I hope with all my might that you do get a great if not complete response, and that may leave Anti PD1 up your sleeve for some other time. I am desperately looking forward to my first dose of Ipi, it is a few weeks away at least yet, have my cardiac met resection to go thru next week first.
            Ally
            AllyNTAus
            Participant
              Ally
              Gene_S
              Participant

Hi Denise,

I am not sure you would see signs that fast from Ipi but here is hoping it is.  It sure helps with the positive mental attitude at least.

Ipi can work for years.  My husband is still in the Ipi trial he started over 2 years ago.  You can read more in his profile but just a short synopsis he was Stage IV with unresectable lesion on his head at the cervical spine C1-2, 4 small sub q's in the same area, 3 in lung and 3 in liver.  He has been NED for 9 months.  His clinical trial was the 4 doses in 12 weeks of Ipi and then every 12 weeks after at 10mg/kg and GM-CSF 14 days of self injections and 7 days off.  He is still doing both.

We took pictures of the sub q's and compared them to a nickel coin and watched them shrink with each 3 weeks pictures.  Wishing you success and maybe you won't even need the Anti PD1 but at least you have a back up waiting if needed.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

Gene_S
                Participant

Hi Denise,

I am not sure you would see signs that fast from Ipi but here is hoping it is.  It sure helps with the positive mental attitude at least.

Ipi can work for years.  My husband is still in the Ipi trial he started over 2 years ago.  You can read more in his profile but just a short synopsis he was Stage IV with unresectable lesion on his head at the cervical spine C1-2, 4 small sub q's in the same area, 3 in lung and 3 in liver.  He has been NED for 9 months.  His clinical trial was the 4 doses in 12 weeks of Ipi and then every 12 weeks after at 10mg/kg and GM-CSF 14 days of self injections and 7 days off.  He is still doing both.

We took pictures of the sub q's and compared them to a nickel coin and watched them shrink with each 3 weeks pictures.  Wishing you success and maybe you won't even need the Anti PD1 but at least you have a back up waiting if needed.

Gene_S
                  Participant

Hi Denise,

ecc26
                    Participant

Hi Denise,

I just got my second dose of Ipi yesterday. Like you I have at least 7 brain mets (and actually just finished WBR on Monday) and was placed on Ipi in the hopes of stablizing things long enough to get into a PD-1 trial. As far as the speed of response, I'm not sure about 24 hrs, but I've certainly read about and been told by doctors that some people see a response within the frist week, though most people don't see a response until much later (after the 2nd, 3rd or 4th dose). I can tell you that I was averaging 3 new subQ mets a week for about a month before starting the Ipi (and who knows exactly what was happening in the rest of my body). After the first infusion I found a new subQ 2 days later, but none since. All of my other subQ mets that had been growing seem to have stabilized and some have started to shrink some, which everyone seems quite happy about. Some changes were starting to happen before the Ipi started, so there's no clear way to determine if it's really the Ipi or if the changes would have happened anyway, but quite frankly, I don't care as long as things stabilize or shrink. I really wasn't crazy about Ipi at the start because I didn't think I'd get a response either and the side effects worried me, but so far I'm doing OK with it and studies have shown it to be effective for brain mets if you get a response in the rest of your body. 

As far as how long it lasts if you get a response, my understanding is that it's a bit variable. It, like so many other therapies, has complete and partial responders. As with other therapies, the complete responders do better than many of the partial responders. I believe the average for a complete responder is somewhere around 3-5 years, with variable times for the partial responders. There is also some evidence (though it's very early yet) that the PD1 may work better and for more people when it follows a course of Ipi, so there's some hope there as well. 

Like one of the other responders, I have been placed on GM-CSF self injections for 14 days afte each infusion. That decision was based on the preliminary data released from the study that poster's husband is on right now. I'm still only getting the labled (3 mg/kg) dose of Ipi not the trials 10 mg/kg dose, but they did decide to add on the GM-CSF. There hasn't been any talk of a maintanance dose for me after the initial 4 infusions, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. 

I sincerely hope you tolerate the Ipi well and get a good response that lasts for years!

-Eva

PS: I didn't really notice anything for side effects for about a week after the infusion, and then I wasn't sure if it was from the Ipi or the GM-CSF, but mainly I had some tiredness (which could have also been from the radiation), I get nausous if I dont' eat at very regular intervals (I now carry granola bars and fruit rollups with me for quick boosts), and some diarrhea, which responds well to occasional Immodium. Wishing you the best

ecc26
                      Participant

Hi Denise,

I just got my second dose of Ipi yesterday. Like you I have at least 7 brain mets (and actually just finished WBR on Monday) and was placed on Ipi in the hopes of stablizing things long enough to get into a PD-1 trial. As far as the speed of response, I'm not sure about 24 hrs, but I've certainly read about and been told by doctors that some people see a response within the frist week, though most people don't see a response until much later (after the 2nd, 3rd or 4th dose). I can tell you that I was averaging 3 new subQ mets a week for about a month before starting the Ipi (and who knows exactly what was happening in the rest of my body). After the first infusion I found a new subQ 2 days later, but none since. All of my other subQ mets that had been growing seem to have stabilized and some have started to shrink some, which everyone seems quite happy about. Some changes were starting to happen before the Ipi started, so there's no clear way to determine if it's really the Ipi or if the changes would have happened anyway, but quite frankly, I don't care as long as things stabilize or shrink. I really wasn't crazy about Ipi at the start because I didn't think I'd get a response either and the side effects worried me, but so far I'm doing OK with it and studies have shown it to be effective for brain mets if you get a response in the rest of your body. 

As far as how long it lasts if you get a response, my understanding is that it's a bit variable. It, like so many other therapies, has complete and partial responders. As with other therapies, the complete responders do better than many of the partial responders. I believe the average for a complete responder is somewhere around 3-5 years, with variable times for the partial responders. There is also some evidence (though it's very early yet) that the PD1 may work better and for more people when it follows a course of Ipi, so there's some hope there as well. 

Like one of the other responders, I have been placed on GM-CSF self injections for 14 days afte each infusion. That decision was based on the preliminary data released from the study that poster's husband is on right now. I'm still only getting the labled (3 mg/kg) dose of Ipi not the trials 10 mg/kg dose, but they did decide to add on the GM-CSF. There hasn't been any talk of a maintanance dose for me after the initial 4 infusions, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. 

I sincerely hope you tolerate the Ipi well and get a good response that lasts for years!

-Eva

PS: I didn't really notice anything for side effects for about a week after the infusion, and then I wasn't sure if it was from the Ipi or the GM-CSF, but mainly I had some tiredness (which could have also been from the radiation), I get nausous if I dont' eat at very regular intervals (I now carry granola bars and fruit rollups with me for quick boosts), and some diarrhea, which responds well to occasional Immodium. Wishing you the best

ecc26
                        Participant

Hi Denise,

-Eva

Tina D
                          Participant

Denise,

I have also read that some people respond quickly. Kind of strikes me funny that it never occured to you that the ipi may work,lol! YES…it just might be the thing for you!! My Dr in St Louis has patients that started back in the first clinical trials 5-6 yrs ago who are still disease free! 

Tina

Tina D
                            Participant

Denise,

I have also read that some people respond quickly. Kind of strikes me funny that it never occured to you that the ipi may work,lol! YES…it just might be the thing for you!! My Dr in St Louis has patients that started back in the first clinical trials 5-6 yrs ago who are still disease free! 

Tina

Tina D
                              Participant

Denise,

Tina

Amanda
                                Participant

My boyfriend did yervoy and things stopped growing  almost right away, but nothing got smaller.  About 5 or so months later  he progressed.  He started Pd-1 trial February 1st and all tumors are shrinking or gone.   As ecc26 mentioned there is some studies showing a good response to pd-1 after yervoy.  

-Amanda-

Amanda
                                  Participant

My boyfriend did yervoy and things stopped growing  almost right away, but nothing got smaller.  About 5 or so months later  he progressed.  He started Pd-1 trial February 1st and all tumors are shrinking or gone.   As ecc26 mentioned there is some studies showing a good response to pd-1 after yervoy.  

-Amanda-

Amanda
                                    Participant

-Amanda-

mama1960
                                      Participant
                                        Your post was a blessing. Come the next Tuesday I will be in the hospital 3 weeks. Mel has moved to my bones and we has caused several passive fractures. As soon as I am back on my feet I will be starting IPI. Zelboraf did not work and I was pretty disappointed. Any thing positive regarding IPI helps. Good luck and feel better!
                                        mama1960
                                        Participant
                                          Your post was a blessing. Come the next Tuesday I will be in the hospital 3 weeks. Mel has moved to my bones and we has caused several passive fractures. As soon as I am back on my feet I will be starting IPI. Zelboraf did not work and I was pretty disappointed. Any thing positive regarding IPI helps. Good luck and feel better!
                                          mama1960
                                          Participant
                                            Jim M.
                                            Participant

Hi Denise,

I was on Ipi from 3/08 -11/08. I had no tumor burden as the melanoma was resected. I had a total of 4 infusions and started feeling minor side effects weeks after the 1st infusion. On the trial I was on they ran some of my blood through a cell separator and took some of the white blood cells for analysis. My onc said I had a huge response due to the proliferation of T cells. He said these cells will stay active for years (didn't put a number on how many years, probably no one knows). Later, after the 4th infusion I had a huge side effect; hypothysitis or swelling of the pituitary. This was discovered from an MRI after I complained of severe headaches for 2 weeks. I'm on a hormone replacement, probably for life. Anyway I'm over 4.5 years NED since Ipi and over 5.5 years NED since my surgery. Hoping and praying for the best outcome for you!

God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                              Participant

Hi Denise,

I was on Ipi from 3/08 -11/08. I had no tumor burden as the melanoma was resected. I had a total of 4 infusions and started feeling minor side effects weeks after the 1st infusion. On the trial I was on they ran some of my blood through a cell separator and took some of the white blood cells for analysis. My onc said I had a huge response due to the proliferation of T cells. He said these cells will stay active for years (didn't put a number on how many years, probably no one knows). Later, after the 4th infusion I had a huge side effect; hypothysitis or swelling of the pituitary. This was discovered from an MRI after I complained of severe headaches for 2 weeks. I'm on a hormone replacement, probably for life. Anyway I'm over 4.5 years NED since Ipi and over 5.5 years NED since my surgery. Hoping and praying for the best outcome for you!

God Bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                                Participant

Hi Denise,

God Bless,

Jim M.

NYKaren
                                                  Participant
                                                    Denise, I truly hope you are getting a response! I too have read of people getting quick responses. As we are learning, you just never know.
                                                    Karen
                                                    NYKaren
                                                    Participant
                                                      Denise, I truly hope you are getting a response! I too have read of people getting quick responses. As we are learning, you just never know.
                                                      Karen
                                                      NYKaren
                                                      Participant
                                                        Karen
                                                        DeniseK
                                                        Participant

I'm pretty sure it's just wishful thinking.  My arm tumor feels about the same as before.  I guess I didn't consider Ipi other than a tool to get me into a trial but I have done research and there are many long term responders,  Maybe this will be the ticket.  I'm feeling pretty good today 2 days after infusion.  A little itchy and tired but overall I feel good.

Denise

DeniseK
                                                          Participant

I'm pretty sure it's just wishful thinking.  My arm tumor feels about the same as before.  I guess I didn't consider Ipi other than a tool to get me into a trial but I have done research and there are many long term responders,  Maybe this will be the ticket.  I'm feeling pretty good today 2 days after infusion.  A little itchy and tired but overall I feel good.

Denise

DeniseK
                                                            Participant

Denise

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics