The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Firing a Doctor When You Are Out of Bubblegum

Forums General Melanoma Community Firing a Doctor When You Are Out of Bubblegum

Participant

Kicked out of the hospital (well, really just discharged, but kicked out sounds beter.) Saturday.  

Big , swollen neckache ended up being  a Deep Vein Thrombosis in my neck, so have to self inject lovenox once daily straight into my belly to address that.  Get an ultrasound in four days to see how that is working.

Returning to town I went to see my Mom.  

She is on the high side of 88 years old, lives independently, walks on average of two miles daily, is a retired computer programmer and rocks her laptop and crossoword.

Well, she was confused and wanted me to take her daily medication for her. …………….huh??????

Got her to the hospital and admitted with a wrritten and digital copy of her medical records, especially her daily heart and thyroid meds.

At the hospital this morning , after looking at her chart I saw she had received no medications of any kind.

I asked the nurses to page the attending physician

Just as I was explaining the importance of Mom receiving her medication and ESPECIALLY Toporol, which has a black box warning about not stopping suddenly …………………..of which she takes twice daily and had not received once since being in the hospital.

At the snap of a finger, the monitors went off……………..her heart rate went from 75 to 195 and BP from 147/90 to 80/50.

It took two hours for the nurses to get her stable.

After she was stable, I went to her attending doctor and simply said, "I do have confidence you are the best choice to attend to her medical needs. since you failed to see the importance of her current medical regiment" and think it best that Mom have a doctor that is bit more sensitive to her medical history.

This doctor and I had been standing face to face.  She sat down in a chair, reclined back, dropped the medical record on the floor, bowed her chest out, dangled both arms down, kicked her feet out and said "Boy, I am your mothers doctor and I know what is best for her".  Her facial expression was cold as stone.

Okay, I.m gonna shorten this up, I told her she was fired and has no medical authority over my mother ( with my mothers power of attorney in hand)

Doc calls security, two burly fellows show up right behind each of my shoulders, she tells them I can't fire her, they look at one another, some nurse calls and gets some suit, short conversation with me, then tells the doctor………………..you are releived of your duties regarding this patient.

Took about 15 minutes and presto:  new Doc, new orders (and there were a bunch of smirking nurses)

Honestly, I don't get why it always has to be this hard for me.

Does tenacity always come with this price?

Sorry, weak moment,; and no I do not need any cheese to go with my whine thankyou.

It is so important to always be on guard while deep in the throes of medical care and remember that doctors are not all omnipotent………………….they are jjust like the rest of us…………human; warts and all.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Good for you, Charlie!  I hope you can follow up with a formal complaint – doesn't sound like this physician should be in charge of anyone's care until she pulls her …. well, you know what i'm thinking.

Fen
          Participant

Good for you, Charlie!  I hope you can follow up with a formal complaint – doesn't sound like this physician should be in charge of anyone's care until she pulls her …. well, you know what i'm thinking.

Fen
            Participant

WithinMySkin
              Participant
                YESSSS! Good for you, Charlie! High five on having the guts to speak up. Many people (my family included) never ask questions, let alone question the care they receive. You quite possibly saved your mother’s life. And as you said, doctors are human too. Mistakes and egos and all.
                WithinMySkin
                Participant
                  YESSSS! Good for you, Charlie! High five on having the guts to speak up. Many people (my family included) never ask questions, let alone question the care they receive. You quite possibly saved your mother’s life. And as you said, doctors are human too. Mistakes and egos and all.
                  WithinMySkin
                  Participant
                    DZnDef
                    Participant

Congratulations on really taking charge of your mother's care.  I wish I had fired my brother's doctor.

DZnDef
                      Participant

Congratulations on really taking charge of your mother's care.  I wish I had fired my brother's doctor.

DZnDef
                        Participant

jennunicorn
                          Participant

I know first hand just how "human" doctors are. Great job firing her from your mother's care! 

jennunicorn
                            Participant

I know first hand just how "human" doctors are. Great job firing her from your mother's care! 

jennunicorn
                              Participant

Patina
                                Participant

You Rock!

I wish I had looked the doctors in the eyes who had misdiagnosed my Mom. We simply walked away. I envy you!

Patina
                                  Participant

You Rock!

I wish I had looked the doctors in the eyes who had misdiagnosed my Mom. We simply walked away. I envy you!

Patina
                                    Participant

You Rock!

Cathy M
                                      Participant
                                        Good job Charlie !! I have learned (and even work) in the medical field, you have to have someone watching your back !! Keep up the demand for higher standards of medical care !!
                                        Cathy M
                                        Participant
                                          Good job Charlie !! I have learned (and even work) in the medical field, you have to have someone watching your back !! Keep up the demand for higher standards of medical care !!
                                          Cathy M
                                          Participant
                                        Viewing 17 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics