The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Finished WBRT today

Forums General Melanoma Community Finished WBRT today

Participant
      Well,
      I made it through my WBRT. They even gave me the mask!
      I am just beginning to lose my hair, not looking forward to this part.
      Now I just am in the wait and see mode. No more medication available. I know God can work miracles, but
      I have some issues I don’t know who to talk to, not sure where to turn.
      How do you reconcile who you are now, compared to who you were before.?
      My whole persona has changed. I don’t know this person yet. I don’t know how to do this. It has become so very real and scary and I feel lost.
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Good for you for keeping it real and getting through WBR, Tyais!! I don’t know what to tell you other than you are not alone. I once told a friend that I’d like to think that all I’ve been through has not changed me. That I am still the same person I was before. She just looked at me for a minute and said, “Of course you’re changed. You don’t go through all the things you did and face all the crap you’ve had to face without being changed.” She was right of course. In this post in 2012 – https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2012/07/i-am-not-me-anymore.html – I wrote:

SUNDAY, JULY 29, 2012

I am not me anymore –
          – or at least I am not the same me that I was.
          Che Guevara

I am sure that this is true for every thinking and reflective person. Time passes, hopefully giving us wisdom, or at least perspective, as we look back on things. Melanoma (or any other life threatening, traumatic event) affects the individual, as well as family and friends. Watching children grow, thrive, suffer, die in the course of 28 years in pediatrics…changes a person. I have found support and love where I never expected it. I have experienced loss in ways I never dreamed. I have learned and traveled and loved more than I thought would ever be possible. I have had Christmas in July, more than once. And, it is good. – c

You will rediscover you. The you you were. The you you will become. Yes, melanoma and its horrific treatments bend us, change us, leave us feeling lost, without rudder or control in an ocean filled with fears and doubts. Still, I am here. So are you. Melanoma certainly has the power to take many things from us. But – not today. Hang in there. Yell and scream here. Seek help from counselors or dear ones if you have the need. Yours, celeste

Happygal
            Participant
              Wow, thank you Celeste.
              I do always take stock in your words.
              This is a very scary road, and it is good to have others who have traveled it. I really appreciate your advice and knowledge.
              Tyais
            Edwin
            Participant
              Tyais,

I hope the radiation helps you. I was offered my radiation head mask, but I disliked it so much that I did not want to see it again. A serious disease changes people. My life would have been different, if I had not had stage 4 melanoma.

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics