The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Fine Needle Aspiration and Inflammation

Forums Fine Needle Aspiration and Inflammation

Participant
      Hi all,

Quick question for anyone who understands Melanoma and responses (is there anyhow haha?). I’m now 8 months post excision and SLNB. Officially 2b. I found a bump on my SNLB scar and went in quickly for a biopsy. The oncogolist didn’t think it felt like cancer and it seemed fairly close to the surface. My spouse thought it was just a cystic acne. They did a FNA. They actually read the results right there. I was told that so far they did not find any melanoma (yet). They did find inflammation, which they said would be consistent with acne and other things. However, they wanted to do more tests and dyes because inflammation can be similar to melanoma. I’ve tried to read the scientific articles on the relationship but am confused. I’m told not to worry, but that’s not happening haha. Has anyone had experience with this? Does inflammation look like melanoma or is it different somehow? I’m reading that inflammation seems to be the path for melanoma to spread to other parts of the body, which seems pretty disheartening.

My spouse also said that the bump was getting smaller before the FNA, but has since flared a bit. We took the getting smaller as a good sign, but not I’m back to worried 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Daisy2018
        Participant
          Hey there.
          I was 1b for just about 5 months. I didn’t have any symptoms or concerns after my SLNB and WIde excision. I went to dermatologist for a skin check and he asked me if I had a scan. I said my Oncology’s didn’t think I needed one since the surgery was clear.
          Thie long story short I asked my oncologist for a scan. The scan showed I had cancer in my closest lymph nodes which was either missed on a initial surgery or cancer progressed that fast. They are not sure.
          The second surgery showed 2 out of 4 lymph nodes were positive with some satellites which put me in a stage 3c.
          I would advice to have a scan to be sure.
            Daisy2018
            Participant
              I should have finished before sending. The shoed SUV of 22. My surgeon still was hoping it is inflammation after the initial surgery. I was reading that SUV of 22 is highly suspicious of malignancy not inflammation.
              The biopsy showed melanoma.
              So I think your biopsy will show of its melanoma or just inflammation.
              boatski
              Participant
                Thanks for the reply. What’s SUV of 22 mean?

I am also getting scans every 3 months, it’s aggressive but I think appropriate. I have new scans in a few weeks.

Daisy2018
                Participant
                  An SUV reading of 1 is baseline or normal celluar activity. An SUV of 2.5 or greater can indicate metastatic cancer activity, but other factors can provoke above-normal readings. In a PET scan, the patient receives an injection of a radioactive tracer—usually a type of glucose—that cells will absorb.
                  In my case I had 22. It’s even area lights up like a Christmas tree. Inflammation or any metabolic activity lights up.
                  You will have scans that’s what you need. They will biopsy anything suspicious.
                boatski
                Participant
                  Finishing up this post. Turns out it was just inflammation. It appears to be going away, but every so slowly. Hopefully this post gives people hope that not everything they feel is melanoma (but still get it checked as soon as you can). Pretty crazy to have a sub-q bump right next to my SNLB and not have it be mel.
                    MelMel
                    Participant
                      Great news! You must be so relieved. Enjoy!
                Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics