The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Finally, good news!

Forums General Melanoma Community Finally, good news!

Participant

I saw Dr. Wolchuk today, and he said that nothing lit up on the PET scan.  So we looked at the report, and things are looking  better.

To the naked eye, I feel that it looks like it's at least 50% gone, and he agrees.  He already emailed Dr. Sznol (at Yale/New Haven) recommending more IL-2, and Dr. S. is in complete agreement!  Hurray!!!  I honestly cannot believe it.  So now I'm waiting to hear from Yale about timing.

I saw Dr. Wolchuk today, and he said that nothing lit up on the PET scan.  So we looked at the report, and things are looking  better.

To the naked eye, I feel that it looks like it's at least 50% gone, and he agrees.  He already emailed Dr. Sznol (at Yale/New Haven) recommending more IL-2, and Dr. S. is in complete agreement!  Hurray!!!  I honestly cannot believe it.  So now I'm waiting to hear from Yale about timing.

To be completely honest, this will wreak havock with my job,and I MUST keep reminding myself that MY HEALTH COMES FIRST, AND IT'S BETTER TO BE HEALTHY AND JOBLESS THAN DYING WITH A JOB!  I'm the sole bread-winner (my husband has liver disease) so it is somewhat scary, but as I type this, I know that I'd better follow the very same advice I give others.  Run, don't walk, to a treatment that's already making me better.  

So, Charlie, don't kick my ass, I'm just bein' honest here!  

I believe strongly that the IL-2 activated the Aldera, and that combo accounts for the dramatic response on my face.  Dr. Wolchuk and Dr. Halpern (dermatologist  @ Sloan) seem to agree.  I really like those two a lot, both as doctors and as people.

Here's hoping for more good news around here.

karen

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Whahoo!!!  I'm so glad you got good news!  

For right now get yourself healthy. Your boss has to realize that you don't have a choice.  For tonight just be so happy and then continue with IL2 !  

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

For right now get yourself healthy. Your boss has to realize that you don't have a choice.  For tonight just be so happy and then continue with IL2 !  

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Linda

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

You know how to make a guy feel better.  Love hearing such news.  keep on rolling.  Pulling for you both!

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

You know how to make a guy feel better.  Love hearing such news.  keep on rolling.  Pulling for you both!

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

triciad
                    Participant

Karen –

Great news…go celebrate and then get that IL-2!  You are right about taking care of your health first.  I'm sure your boss will understand.  Best of luck!!!!

Tricia

triciad
                      Participant

Karen –

Great news…go celebrate and then get that IL-2!  You are right about taking care of your health first.  I'm sure your boss will understand.  Best of luck!!!!

Tricia

triciad
                        Participant

Karen –

Tricia

MariaH
                          Participant

So very, very happy for you!  You go girl!

Maria

MariaH
                            Participant

Maria

NYKaren
                                Participant

Thanks, friends. 

I'm buying a bottle of wine to celebrate at dinner tonight.  (I'll only drink one glass)  It's my hubby's birthday tomorrow, so we have a lot to celebrate.

Funny, I said to him last night…I finally stopped (for the most part) itching, now here I go again.  Small price to pay.

love you all,

karen

NYKaren
                                  Participant

Thanks, friends. 

I'm buying a bottle of wine to celebrate at dinner tonight.  (I'll only drink one glass)  It's my hubby's birthday tomorrow, so we have a lot to celebrate.

Funny, I said to him last night…I finally stopped (for the most part) itching, now here I go again.  Small price to pay.

love you all,

karen

NYKaren
                                    Participant

Thanks, friends. 

love you all,

karen

MariaH
                                    Participant

Maria

jim Breitfeller
                                      Participant

Karen,

The  Aldera (Imiquimod) induced the "Danger Signal" Inflammation need to activate the Macrophages.

With the addition of IL-2, The macrophages are able to directly attack the tumor cells.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-38X1TcxYhmI/TrPvw4bgw_I/AAAAAAAAAmI/gZuKmwEniSg/s1600/Imiquimod-induced-inflamtion.jpg

As you can see, you are seeing regression due to the fact that you were able to altered the Tumor's microenviroment.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IOtWuQOM1BA/TpYGhf3GliI/AAAAAAAAAjA/nR0-UldsI-o/s1600/inflammation.bmp

Congrats Karen!!!!!!!

Best regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                                        Participant

Karen,

The  Aldera (Imiquimod) induced the "Danger Signal" Inflammation need to activate the Macrophages.

With the addition of IL-2, The macrophages are able to directly attack the tumor cells.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-38X1TcxYhmI/TrPvw4bgw_I/AAAAAAAAAmI/gZuKmwEniSg/s1600/Imiquimod-induced-inflamtion.jpg

As you can see, you are seeing regression due to the fact that you were able to altered the Tumor's microenviroment.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IOtWuQOM1BA/TpYGhf3GliI/AAAAAAAAAjA/nR0-UldsI-o/s1600/inflammation.bmp

Congrats Karen!!!!!!!

Best regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                                          Participant

Karen,

Congrats Karen!!!!!!!

Best regards,

Jimmy B

NYKaren
                                              Participant

Sorry, Jimmy, I called you Jerry below–you're both great!  Like I said below, it's the IL-2 + the Aldera that's kicking ass!

best to you,

karen

NYKaren
                                                Participant

Sorry, Jimmy, I called you Jerry below–you're both great!  Like I said below, it's the IL-2 + the Aldera that's kicking ass!

best to you,

karen

NYKaren
                                                  Participant

best to you,

karen

o2bcheri
                                                  Participant

so happy for you…

great attitude… 

May God be with you…

You will be provided for…

happy news..

M

NYKaren
                                                      Participant

Thank you both…o2bcheri, I keep repeating those words to myself.

Jerry, at first I couldn't believe they gave me creme for melanoma–what a difference it has made!  I forgot to mention something very interesting, and I think, positive…last time I was receiving IL-2, they did a punch biopsy on the mel close to my ear (the "old" section) and now the skin showing is completely white, and the white space seems to be growing with combo of IL-2 and Aldera.  And who knows, maybe Ipi too. 

I'd be foolish not to be partially dreading those side effects, even though everyone says I was a "champ" and had fewer than many (no rigor, was confused by the end, but no halucinations, etc.) but I just can't wait to see Dr. Sznol at Yale and show him the improvement!

karen

JerryfromFauq
                                                        Participant

White spots?  Gee, we won't talk about all the places I got white spots from the IL-2.  Two years after I started the Gleevec I was still getting larger white spots.  I accused my Onc of trying to make a white man out of me (in spite of my mostly English background – my complexion tends to the Native American side.)  My hands have mostly returned to brown, but a lighter shade, but my face definitely has expanded in the light areas.  I had not heard of this being a side effect of the Gleevec as well, but sure cannot look at it as a bad sign.  (Now what to do about the one white eyebrow?  Still have mostly black hair on my head, but one white eyebrow?  My wife says to just accept it!)  I suspect that residue action from the IL-2 may well be assisting the Gleevec.

So far what I have heard on the creme has been good for the topical melanoma.  Glad you are having such great results. 

P.S. Aren't you glad that the recovery from each weeks IL-2 is so quick?.  Want to borrow my wire brush for the itching? (HaHa – not with the thin skin for a while ?)

NYKaren
                                                          Participant

Hi again, Jerry.  I'm happy to tell you that I worded my post incorrectly–they're not white spots…It's my white skin!  Real, white (I'm fairly lite-skinned, so I guess I said white instead of flesh-colored) baby-soft SKIN

And you reminded me, MUST get a back-scratcher before this next round.

Actually, the first week was an easy recovery, the second took much longer. I am going to use whey protein to supplement my diet and be more scrupulous about my iron supplements this time and see if it speeds things up a bit.

As for the itching, it literally just stopped last week…ha ha.

Best regards,

karen

NYKaren
                                                            Participant

Hi again, Jerry.  I'm happy to tell you that I worded my post incorrectly–they're not white spots…It's my white skin!  Real, white (I'm fairly lite-skinned, so I guess I said white instead of flesh-colored) baby-soft SKIN

Actually, the first week was an easy recovery, the second took much longer. I am going to use whey protein to supplement my diet and be more scrupulous about my iron supplements this time and see if it speeds things up a bit.

Best regards,

karen

NYKaren
                                                              Participant

Best regards,

karen

JerryfromFauq
                                                                Participant

White spots?  Gee, we won't talk about all the places I got white spots from the IL-2.  Two years after I started the Gleevec I was still getting larger white spots.  I accused my Onc of trying to make a white man out of me (in spite of my mostly English background – my complexion tends to the Native American side.)  My hands have mostly returned to brown, but a lighter shade, but my face definitely has expanded in the light areas.  I had not heard of this being a side effect of the Gleevec as well, but sure cannot look at it as a bad sign.  (Now what to do about the one white eyebrow?  Still have mostly black hair on my head, but one white eyebrow?  My wife says to just accept it!)  I suspect that residue action from the IL-2 may well be assisting the Gleevec.

So far what I have heard on the creme has been good for the topical melanoma.  Glad you are having such great results. 

P.S. Aren't you glad that the recovery from each weeks IL-2 is so quick?.  Want to borrow my wire brush for the itching? (HaHa – not with the thin skin for a while ?)

JerryfromFauq
                                                                  Participant

NYKaren
                                                                    Participant

Jerry, at first I couldn't believe they gave me creme for melanoma–what a difference it has made!  I forgot to mention something very interesting, and I think, positive…last time I was receiving IL-2, they did a punch biopsy on the mel close to my ear (the "old" section) and now the skin showing is completely white, and the white space seems to be growing with combo of IL-2 and Aldera.  And who knows, maybe Ipi too. 

I'd be foolish not to be partially dreading those side effects, even though everyone says I was a "champ" and had fewer than many (no rigor, was confused by the end, but no halucinations, etc.) but I just can't wait to see Dr. Sznol at Yale and show him the improvement!

karen

NYKaren
                                                                      Participant

karen

o2bcheri
                                                                      Participant

so happy for you…

great attitude… 

May God be with you…

happy news..

M

o2bcheri
                                                                        Participant

so happy for you…

great attitude… 

May God be with you…

happy news..

M

AllanK
                                                                          Participant

Resume red flags that can ruin your chances. Unemployment is an agonizing experience for any person. When you are hunting for a job, you need all of your tools in place in order to be effective. Hence, it is vital that you avoid these popular resume warning flags, as companies will tend to forget about you if any of them appear in the last copy of your CV. How many times have you needed addiitional information on where can i get a payday loan, and resorted to a web site search on "reputable payday loans?" Your search is over, all the facts you need is at Match Financial.

AllanK
                                                                            Participant

Resume red flags that can ruin your chances. Unemployment is an agonizing experience for any person. When you are hunting for a job, you need all of your tools in place in order to be effective. Hence, it is vital that you avoid these popular resume warning flags, as companies will tend to forget about you if any of them appear in the last copy of your CV. How many times have you needed addiitional information on where can i get a payday loan, and resorted to a web site search on "reputable payday loans?" Your search is over, all the facts you need is at Match Financial.

AllanK
                                                                              Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics