The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Fever and chills again -advice

Forums General Melanoma Community Fever and chills again -advice

Participant
      So dr. Reduced dose of mek/taf after week breakdown 75mg twice daily. Husband just started lower dose Monday evening, now as I write we are at er. Fever 103.2 , chills and head pounding. Called ctca , since they are so far from us they said to go to er. Question , seems immediate side effects . Has anyone experience this. Thanks in advance
    Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        [email protected]
        Participant

My husband started on mek/taf a couple of weeks ago.  Spiked fevers, shaking chills, onco. took him off Mek and started on taf only, planning to add the Mek again in a month or so if he can tolerate the taf alone.   

taking 150 mg Taf /twice daily and still spiking fevers, shaking chills and now nausea and vomiting.  After starting taf only, called on-call onco. at Roanoke hospital and she said, very firmly I might add, fever and shaking chills are a side effect of the medication, it may not be comfortable but it is going to happen so deal with it.  I said, "okay."  It is what I needed to hear and now my husband and I are of the opinion that in order to get the meds., and we want him to get the meds. he/we are going to have to deal with the fevers/chills – and now the vomiting (sorry).  So now i monitor his temp. and as soon as it gets over 101 degrees I give him three ibuprofen and start physically trying to keep him cool and encouraging him to drink ice water.  If temp is not coming down in 30 min. I add two 325mg. tylenol.  Most of the time the ibu. does the trick.  two nights ago he had a 103.8 and i packed him in ice under the arms, behind the knees, and the back of his neck, but after the tylenol it came down.  We are learning not to panic and just deal. 

Please, I am not giving you advice or telling you to do as we are doing.  This is just something that is working for us right now as treatment is the only hope and there is a lot that we can do to treat the symptoms.  I have read some on line posts recently that said that some doctors are giving low dose corticosteroids to control the fever.  That is something we will ask our onco. when we see him in a couple of weeks.  I hope things get better for you soon and know that you are not in this alone.  I am sorry I do not post often, I am just very busy but this message board is very helpful to me. 

Linda Raugh

[email protected]
          Participant

My husband started on mek/taf a couple of weeks ago.  Spiked fevers, shaking chills, onco. took him off Mek and started on taf only, planning to add the Mek again in a month or so if he can tolerate the taf alone.   

taking 150 mg Taf /twice daily and still spiking fevers, shaking chills and now nausea and vomiting.  After starting taf only, called on-call onco. at Roanoke hospital and she said, very firmly I might add, fever and shaking chills are a side effect of the medication, it may not be comfortable but it is going to happen so deal with it.  I said, "okay."  It is what I needed to hear and now my husband and I are of the opinion that in order to get the meds., and we want him to get the meds. he/we are going to have to deal with the fevers/chills – and now the vomiting (sorry).  So now i monitor his temp. and as soon as it gets over 101 degrees I give him three ibuprofen and start physically trying to keep him cool and encouraging him to drink ice water.  If temp is not coming down in 30 min. I add two 325mg. tylenol.  Most of the time the ibu. does the trick.  two nights ago he had a 103.8 and i packed him in ice under the arms, behind the knees, and the back of his neck, but after the tylenol it came down.  We are learning not to panic and just deal. 

Please, I am not giving you advice or telling you to do as we are doing.  This is just something that is working for us right now as treatment is the only hope and there is a lot that we can do to treat the symptoms.  I have read some on line posts recently that said that some doctors are giving low dose corticosteroids to control the fever.  That is something we will ask our onco. when we see him in a couple of weeks.  I hope things get better for you soon and know that you are not in this alone.  I am sorry I do not post often, I am just very busy but this message board is very helpful to me. 

Linda Raugh

[email protected]
            Participant

Linda Raugh

stevecathy
                Participant
                  Thanks for the reply , I appreciate it.
                  stevecathy
                  Participant
                    stevecathy
                    Participant
                      stevecathy
                      Participant
                        stevecathy
                        Participant
                          stevecathy
                          Participant
                          [email protected]
                          Participant

Linda Raugh

[email protected]
                            Participant

Linda Raugh

[email protected]
                              Participant

Linda Raugh

sister of patient
                                Participant

Hi Cathy and Linda – Not sure if this will work for your husbands but for my sister, we eventually found that using Tylenol and anti-nausea meds worked best when taken about an hour BEFORE taf/mek meds. She had the same side effects – fever, chills, nausea, vomiting and exploding headaches – but heading off the side effects before they started was how we managed to get it under control.

My best thoughts and wishes to you both.

sister of patient
                                  Participant

Hi Cathy and Linda – Not sure if this will work for your husbands but for my sister, we eventually found that using Tylenol and anti-nausea meds worked best when taken about an hour BEFORE taf/mek meds. She had the same side effects – fever, chills, nausea, vomiting and exploding headaches – but heading off the side effects before they started was how we managed to get it under control.

stevecathy
                                      Participant
                                        Thank you for the advice. Still at er , but all labs and test came back ok . Just side effects , ughhhhh. Hopefully this will get under control. Thanks again
                                        stevecathy
                                        Participant
                                          Thank you for the advice. Still at er , but all labs and test came back ok . Just side effects , ughhhhh. Hopefully this will get under control. Thanks again
                                          Ingerhaus
                                          Participant

After days of mostly low fever, Dr. Prescribed steroids, worked.

Ingerhaus
                                            Participant

Ingerhaus
                                              Participant

stevecathy
                                                Participant
                                                sister of patient
                                                Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics