The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Fertility after Ipilimumab/Yervoy

Forums General Melanoma Community Fertility after Ipilimumab/Yervoy

Participant

Hi, I'm a 32 year old woman with Stage 4 melanoma, based in the UK. I'm about to start on Ipilimumab, following a surgey to remove a met where the surgeons didn't manage to get clear margins.

I just wanted to do a quick survey to see if anyone knew of any female patients still able to become pregnant after their Ipi treatment.

There doesn't seem to be any official info, and  I'm trying to weigh up the likelihood of having any future fertility problems. My oncologist is generally great, but he's a bit unhelpful on this point, saying that if I were male then he'd recommend freezing sperm as it's easy and relatively cheap, but that for me it will be expensive, delay my treatment and is more likely to be unsuccessful anyway as the whole process has more problems. The lack of clear data also means that, in the UK, any pre-emptive egg-harvesting/freezing isn't funded. I understand that by pushing for it I would potentially put my health at risk but at the same time I'm nervous about making a decision now that I will regret later – I guess we're all just trying to make the best decision at the time, and hopefully a bit of extra info from you guys will help in that.

Thanks is advance for any help, info and advice you can offer!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        amelanomajourney
        Participant

Very difficult to find any information like this online.  Dr. Jedd Wolchok has a video I found that discusses one of his patients anecdotally.  https://amelanomajourney.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/the-immune-system-vs-cancer/

amelanomajourney
          Participant

Very difficult to find any information like this online.  Dr. Jedd Wolchok has a video I found that discusses one of his patients anecdotally.  https://amelanomajourney.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/the-immune-system-vs-cancer/

amelanomajourney
            Participant

EkinIstanbul
              Participant

Hello, Hope all is well with you. I came accross your post and I am questioning the same issue- I will start Yervoy but trying to figure out if it has side effects on fertility. Have you found any other info around it in the meantime.?

Many thanks

Ekin

EkinIstanbul
                Participant

Hello, Hope all is well with you. I came accross your post and I am questioning the same issue- I will start Yervoy but trying to figure out if it has side effects on fertility. Have you found any other info around it in the meantime.?

Many thanks

Ekin

EkinIstanbul
                  Participant

Many thanks

Ekin

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics