The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Feeling anxious

Forums General Melanoma Community Feeling anxious

Participant

This morning my family attended the AIM walk in Dallas, my husband received the bad news of stage 4 on Tuesday. We have never gone to a walk before and thought now was a good time to start. I don't think I was ready and I am not sure it was great for my husband or my daughter, we heard some heartbreaking stories. I feel terrified that this is it, this is the beginning of treatments and illness and then saying goodbye to the love of my life. How do I do this? How do I support everyone? I am seeing a therapist next week and making sure the kids will too. I think I just need to hear some positive stories would anyone be willing to share some good news? I am aware i sound desperate, because I am. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        King
        Participant

Hi Amie,

I have been Stage IV since 2005 and have had no evidence of disease since 2008…just celebrated the 10 year anniversary.  There are many more options to treat melanoma in 2018 than there were 13 years ago.  Actually, I was diagnosed in 2004 as Stage III and advanced to Stage IV about 2 months after completing 12 months of Interferon.  Yes, it was terrifying and discouraging.  I attended a MPIP Bash (there used to be an annual get together in various locations in the country so we could meet in person these wonderful people we met on this melanoma board).  We would hear some heartbreaking stories but also some very positive stories.  It's a roller coaster ride but there are many long term survivors around…we don't frequent the board very often because we are living our life to the fullest.

Wishing your family the very best!  One step at a time.  You've got this.  The people on this board gave me the support and advice for the battle. I am still friends with several of them.  I am finally on "routine" scans every 9 months.  They are due this month.  I will check back and post my results.

Stay Strong

King/Kathie

Coragirl
            Participant

Thank you, your story is so encouraging. I don't know what I would have done these last few days without the amazing people on this forum.I will be praying for great results on your next scans. 

I was diagnosed Stage IV in September of 2016.  At first I felt like I didn't belong.  The thought that "I'm not like the other patients" would run around and around in my head.  It was scary and unknown.  I didn't know what to expect or what to do.  I was terrified I wasn't going to make it.

Fast forward to May 2018.  I'm still here and I'm strong and relatively healthy.  I had 27 tumors at the start.  Now they are hard pressed to find any.  I'm not the same but I'm alive and living my life.

Everyone's journey is different.  Try not to get caught up in other people's stories.  Every time I go in for treatment I see other patients who are going through much tougher times than I am.  Even at my worst I wasn't the sickest one in the waiting room.

My advice is to wait and see what comes your husband's way.  His journey might not be that bad.  Mine certainly wasn't.  The emotional piece is sometimes the worst.  I wanted to be prepared and I started to prep my husband for when I was gone.  I taught him to cook, and to do the laundry and pay the bills.  We went to a lawyer and finalized our will.  I explained the plan with the life insurance and how he should have enough to pay off the mortgage and then live comfortably for a while on the remainder and his income.

None of it was necessary – except that I'm the kind of person who needs a plan.  I needed to do it to feel comfortable.  I also went to a couple of therapy sessions offered at my treatment center.  They also have some for care givers and spouses.  It can be very helpful to talk to someone who isn't your spouse.

I wish you both well.  

Jennifer

Coragirl
              Participant

Thank you for sharing this with me. I appreciate your honesty about your feelings and your advice on the practical things in life. I have just been trying to get ready for the road ahead and I am so grateful for your post. 

Johnjk04
              Participant

Okay Coragirl, take a deep breath, let it out and relax X5. You will be getting a lot of responses to your message. There are plenty of stage IV patients that are now NED. There has been fabulous improvement on the treatment of melanoma patients. Make sure your husband is in a melanoma treatment center. MD Anderson is one of the best.

My story : stage IV during 2012. Cancer in brain, lungs, liver, kidney, gall bladder and adrenal gland. Three Gamma Knifes, two brain surgeries and dual treatment of Yervoy and Opdivo were my treatment. 5.5 years of  NED and I only see my oncologist once a year. So it's a lot of appointments, worry, prayers said,  but I feel you'll end up all right. Ignore the statistics on the internet, really old school. 

Enjoy your lives, have a great summer.

Coragirl
                  Participant

Thank you John, and how wonderful 5.5 years! I am in tears reading all of the responses. We are headed to MD Anderson Wednesday and he will receive his first treatment Thursday. I feel like I have all of you with me in this even though we are strangers. I have so much gratitude. 

Johnjk04
                  Participant

Hopefully and most likely, with the immunotherapy treatments, your husband will not have the melanoma as extensive as me. Amie your family shall stay in my thoughts and prayers to God for a good time. Your husband is in a good time period for melanoma, ten years ago it was hard to find hope.

Ginsy
                      Participant
                        Hi Amie, I know how you are feeling. I was diagnosed as stage IV in September 2017. I had one treatment of Yervoy/Opdivo. That caused me all of my problems. Rash and Thyroid. They cleared up the rash with 3 days worth of steroids and I have been on two different meds for Thyroid. The Thyroid after about 6 months is soooo much better. I am not so worn out now. Also I guess the Opdivo has caused the aches and pains, but big deal. The Opdivo is working great. My multiple tumors are responding. I am considered stable. I have had about 10 Opdivo treatments. I function quite well. At the beginning things can be rough but the doctors I have at Kaiser!!!!! (Amazingly) have been great! I will keep you and your family in prayer. Trust in the Lord and lean not on your own understanding. Be at peace. You have a whole bunch of us on this board you can pour your heart out to and vent. Cry, scream whatever you have to do and then give it over to God. Those of us who have been diagnosed in the past few years are so blessed to have been diagnosed at such a time as this as these new treatments are working. Time will tell the whole story but be grateful for today. I know I am. God bless you and yours.
                        Coragirl
                        Participant

Thank you, so good to hear you are having good results with your treatment. I will be praying for you as well, seems like I am going to be spending a lot of time in prayer. I greatly appreciate all the comfort these posts have given me.I hope one day I will be able to provide hope and comfort to someone too.

marta010
                        Participant

Hi Amie – my husband was diagnosed in 2012 at Stage IV with mets to his brain and lymph nodes.  He's had some very rough patches with 3 brain surgeries and other treament side effects but is still here 6 years later. We've had long periods of relative calm between the rough patches to catch our breath but the battle continues.  We try to take it one day at a time – his inner fortitude and upbeat attitude is amazing.  I've learned that you can only worry about the trouble of the day – worrying about what might happen tomorrow, next week or next month only takes away from the time you have.  Researchers have made leaps and bounds in the options available to Melanoma patients over the past 6 years and your husband is in good hands.  The feeling of desperation still comes to me at times  and I totally remember the panic and heartache throughout the early days (ok….years) but you will get through this.  Take care.

Ann

Coragirl
                            Participant

Thank you Ann, your husband sounds like mine  Positive and amazing.  Thank you for the advice O will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

TexMelanomex
                            Participant

Hi Amie, 

You already know my story. I'm glad to hear that you'll be going to MDA, as you know from my previous posts I'm a huge fan of them and their providers. I think once you are down there and getting started you'll both feel better mentally. I know that was a huge turning point for me, I don't do well with sit and wait approaches and like to be proactice in life. Once treatment began I truly felt like I was "in the fight" instead of sitting on the sidelines waiting. As another poster mentioned, in the waiting room you will likely see people who are having a very rough go of it and you will see others who seem healthy as a horse. Perspective. Ultimately I encourage you both to stay positive, there can be a lot of doom and gloom in this fight if you entertain it. You are in great hands and your mental state (both yours and his) will play a big role in this battle. Take the fight to the enemy even in mundane ways, enjoying simple things, taking stock of the "good stuff", being present in the moment (rather than the what ifs) all contribute to winning this war.

Warrior On!!

Coragirl
                                Participant

Hello! We are in Houston and my husband just went for a jog in Memorial Park! We are due at MDA tomorrow morning to start this fight. My husband is in a great place and I am getting there with the help of you and all of the other amazing people on this board. Thank you for everything. I am so happy you are NED and feeling well. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics