The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

FDA Approves Opdivo and Yervoy Combination

Forums General Melanoma Community FDA Approves Opdivo and Yervoy Combination

• Replies
      rosa1
      Participant

This is great news but is this only for patients with untreated advanced melanoma? What about the rest of us who may want to try this combination drugs if the current monotherapy we are using is no longer effective?

Hayden30
          Participant

I agree! I've been anxiously awaiting this combo approval while on my BRAF drugs, is there anyway insurance might cover this for people that have done Yervoy or nivo alone previously? 

Hayden30
            Participant

I agree! I've been anxiously awaiting this combo approval while on my BRAF drugs, is there anyway insurance might cover this for people that have done Yervoy or nivo alone previously? 

Hayden30
              Participant

Tim–MRF

I think insurance will be open to covering the combination even after monotherapy, but it may depend on the monotherapy.

If you are currently on ipi, or close to the last infusion, then I suspect most doctors would recommend going with anti-PD1 as monotherapy. If it is targeted therapy you should have no trouble at all. If you have been on anti-PD1 the picture is less clear. 

This approval is based on a study of the combination in comparison to ipi, and only in patients who are BRAF wild-type. Another study is underway comparing ipi vs. nivo vs. the combination, and patients in the study regardless of BRAF status. The FDA hearing for that study is not until January, but the early data is already published. Based on that data, I don't believe the insurance companies will balk at paying for the combination regardless of BRAF status.

If you and your treatment team feel that the combination is the best next step and are getting pushback from the insurance company the company has programs that can help you navigate those waters.

Tim–MRF

JoshF
                  Participant

Tim-

what if you responded to ipi, been clear for awhile and then recur. I think it would be advantageous to receive combo. Is insurance the barrier to receiving combo?

Josh

JoshF
                    Participant

Tim-

what if you responded to ipi, been clear for awhile and then recur. I think it would be advantageous to receive combo. Is insurance the barrier to receiving combo?

Josh

JoshF
                      Participant

Tim-

Josh

Tim–MRF

I think insurance will be open to covering the combination even after monotherapy, but it may depend on the monotherapy.

If you are currently on ipi, or close to the last infusion, then I suspect most doctors would recommend going with anti-PD1 as monotherapy. If it is targeted therapy you should have no trouble at all. If you have been on anti-PD1 the picture is less clear. 

This approval is based on a study of the combination in comparison to ipi, and only in patients who are BRAF wild-type. Another study is underway comparing ipi vs. nivo vs. the combination, and patients in the study regardless of BRAF status. The FDA hearing for that study is not until January, but the early data is already published. Based on that data, I don't believe the insurance companies will balk at paying for the combination regardless of BRAF status.

If you and your treatment team feel that the combination is the best next step and are getting pushback from the insurance company the company has programs that can help you navigate those waters.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

rosa1
                          Participant

This is great news but is this only for patients with untreated advanced melanoma? What about the rest of us who may want to try this combination drugs if the current monotherapy we are using is no longer effective?

rosa1
                            Participant

Andrew1725
                              Participant

What about previous Inteferon treatment?

Andrew1725
                                Participant

Andrew1725
                                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics