The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

FDA Approves Ipilimumab for Stage III Melanoma Patients

Forums General Melanoma Community FDA Approves Ipilimumab for Stage III Melanoma Patients

• Replies
      geriakt
      Participant

Wow, I was not expecting that.  I wonder if BMS will cancel my Clinical trial for IPI/NIVO now as there really is no need? Quite honestly it would be cheaper to me to quit my trial and just get the Yervoy as my yearly out of pocket has been met. 

Tom

geriakt
        Participant

Wow, I was not expecting that.  I wonder if BMS will cancel my Clinical trial for IPI/NIVO now as there really is no need? Quite honestly it would be cheaper to me to quit my trial and just get the Yervoy as my yearly out of pocket has been met. 

Tom

geriakt
          Participant

Tom

jenny22
            Participant

It is great news, but i can't help but wonder now…..

Had instranist recurrrence last NOV, complete resection…..never was able to have SNB …..DOCS all  "assuming" negative node status…..now making me stage IIIB….had vaccine trial at NYU Feb- May……

Now wonder if IPI would have been better……Being treated at NYU, with ANNA Pavlick…love her….

Just wondering if something to ask about.

Thoughts anyone????

TKs,

jenny22
              Participant

Had instranist recurrrence last NOV, complete resection…..never was able to have SNB …..DOCS all  "assuming" negative node status…..now making me stage IIIB….had vaccine trial at NYU Feb- May……

Now wonder if IPI would have been better……Being treated at NYU, with ANNA Pavlick…love her….

Thoughts anyone????

TKs,

jenny22
                Participant

Thoughts anyone????

TKs,

jamieth29
                  Participant
                    Here is something to think about that my oncologist Dr Jason Luke had about ipi as adjuvant. Ipi has shown a 25% success rate as an adjuvant and a 22% success rate in stage 4. He sees no statistical advantage to taking it as adjuvant because the side effects can be severe. His opinion is why put yourself through the chance of immune related events when there is a chance the cancer may not return. If it does you statistically have the same chance of responding. I hope the pd-1 drugs show a much better efficacy as adjuvant therapy which remains to be seen.
                      jenny22
                      Participant

Hi Janieth29-

Intereresting point made by your oncologist……I am hearing similar things…..just met with Dr. Coit, surgical oncologist at MSKCC…..i asked him his opintion and he said he thinks IPI will be a "tough sell" in the adjuvant setting due to the extremely high toxity profile……he is hopeful that PD1 treatments will soon be an option without the IPI side effects……my MEd. ONC also seems hesitant on IPI for me in this setting….

In spite of all this, I feel the need to do SOMETHING to ZAP any cells that may be flaoting aorund somewhere…..after 2 recurrences it is scary to wonder where they are going next….Radiation is a good alternative for local "Stuff', but the goal is to keep it from going anywhere else!

Lets hope we soon have some other options for adjuvant treatments.

Best,

jenny

jenny22
                        Participant

Hi Janieth29-

Intereresting point made by your oncologist……I am hearing similar things…..just met with Dr. Coit, surgical oncologist at MSKCC…..i asked him his opintion and he said he thinks IPI will be a "tough sell" in the adjuvant setting due to the extremely high toxity profile……he is hopeful that PD1 treatments will soon be an option without the IPI side effects……my MEd. ONC also seems hesitant on IPI for me in this setting….

In spite of all this, I feel the need to do SOMETHING to ZAP any cells that may be flaoting aorund somewhere…..after 2 recurrences it is scary to wonder where they are going next….Radiation is a good alternative for local "Stuff', but the goal is to keep it from going anywhere else!

Best,

jenny

jenny22
                          Participant

Hi Janieth29-

Best,

jenny

jamieth29
                          Participant
                            Here is something to think about that my oncologist Dr Jason Luke had about ipi as adjuvant. Ipi has shown a 25% success rate as an adjuvant and a 22% success rate in stage 4. He sees no statistical advantage to taking it as adjuvant because the side effects can be severe. His opinion is why put yourself through the chance of immune related events when there is a chance the cancer may not return. If it does you statistically have the same chance of responding. I hope the pd-1 drugs show a much better efficacy as adjuvant therapy which remains to be seen.
                            jamieth29
                            Participant
                          Viewing 8 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics