The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Father just diagnosed stage IV brain metastasis – Advice needed – Southern California

Forums General Melanoma Community Father just diagnosed stage IV brain metastasis – Advice needed – Southern California

Participant

My father was just diagnosed with stage IV on 3/5/18. His PET scan on 3/2 revealed at least 20 lesions in his brain, and metastasis all over his body including brain and bones. My family has been through a roller coaster the past 2 weeks and we’re looking for any encouragement or advice as we navigate through this new world of cancer.

He was hospitalized on 3/4 due to swelling in his brain, they began full brain radiation on 3/5. Dr. Panares is his oncologist at St. Jude, however we have not been thrilled with his treatment plans or aggressiveness.  We have a family consult with Dr. Hamid at Angeles Clinic on Monday and hopefully will see if there is anything more they can do to treat this.

His team at St. Jude does not seem to work together in a timely matter, when every second counts this becomes very frustrating. We have an oncologist, radiation oncologist, neurologist, and ICU doctor all working on this yet it seems they all have different ideas on what is happening.

My dad is unable to walk much, speak or swallow, although he does still understand what is said to him. We realize that at this point he is probably not eligible for clinical trials but are wondering if anyone else has been in this situation before and what you recommend? Or any advice on Hoag hospital, USC, UCI, or UCLA?

Any advice is appreciated- thank you all and thankful that this forum exists!

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hi Emily,

Your dad's condition certainly sounds as though he is in a very tough spot.  Dr. Omid Hamid is an internationally recogized melanoma expert as is Dr. Antoni Ribas:  https://www.uclahealth.org/antoni-ribas  

This primer that I put together may help you gear up on melanoma treatments so you can understand the jargon and treatment options when you have additional meetings with your dad's docs:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/08/melanoma-intel-primer-for-current.html  

Hang in there.  I wish you and your dad my best.  Celeste

teamjerrymackey
            Participant

Hi Celeste,

Thank you so much for your advice and support. Your blog post definitely helps us navigate this new world.

Thank you again,

Emily

CancerSpouse
            Participant

Emily, I have heard nothing but good things about Dr. Hamid and Dr. Ribas, my husband's oncologist, is fantastic. Best of luck with the appointment at Angeles Clinic. In the meantime, you may find additional hopefulness in reading up on Jimmy Carter's experience with brain mets. ~ Carol

teamjerrymackey
                Participant

Hi carol,

thank you for your words. We had a wonderful meeting with Dr. Hamid and he was very helpful. 

Thank you!

Emily

keepthefaith11
                Participant
                  So sorry to hear about your father’s situation. Have they checked his BRAF status? My dad had 13 brain mets and after 6 weeks on braf therapy half of them were gone and have had shrunk significantly.

He had done whole brain radiation and immunotherapy before he got on the braf therapy. He had to stop the immunotherapy after 5 infusions due to colitis.

Keep us updated on what Dr Hamid said.

Annie

teamjerrymackey
                    Participant

Hi Annie,

Wow, thank you so much for sharing your story. It is definitely encouraging to hear that the treatment helped your dad. It is a very difficult situation so to hear positive stories is very encouraging. 

We found out my dad is braf positive so he’s been in therapy for that for about a week. Radiation is over and now we’re just monitoring the swelling in his brain. We can’t get him on immunotherapy yet because he is on steroids for the swelling. Hopefully when he gets off them we can get him going with immunotherapy ASAP.

Will keep you posted on his journey. Thank you again for your words and support.

best,

Emily

TomW
                    Participant

I was diagnosed with stage 4 last June and had brain swelling, spots on lungs, ribs, etc. I lost my balance and couldn’t walk, had blurry vision, and in general was a mess.  First thing they did was give me steroids to reduce swelling, then brain radiation, and then started immune therapy (keytruda).  After two months I started to feel better and began physical therapy to learn how to walk again.  I received the results of my 1st pet scan after immune therapy and I was responding positively.  I guess my point is that it was two months of hell not knowing if I was going to live or die and really the doctors didn’t know anything until those pet scan results after immune therapy showed what was happening to the cancer cell throughout my body.  Hang in there!

cancersnewnormal
                      Participant

Your family is certainly in the "oh my God what the hell is going on?" suck stages. My only experience in the so cal area is at USC. My entire treatment team is there. Neurosurgeon, gamma team, radiation oncologist, medical oncologist, dermatologist…. and a few additional scattered docs. I would strongly recommend an appointment with Dr Eric Chang at USC. He is chair of the radiation oncology department and co-chair of the hospital's gamma unit. His credentials are as high as you will find in this country, and definitely stand above anyone else in California. His communication skills are also above par. His specialty is with cancer in the central nervous system (brain, spinal), including metastasis. He has plenty of experience with melanoma metastasis, treatment, and response. For the best in "brain care", Dr Chang is the guy. Dr James Hu is my medical oncologist. His specialties are sarcoma and melanoma. Again… a very intelligent go getter with lots of experience in handling melanoma cases. I know some of USC's patients also see Dr Naveed Wagle, who is a neuro-oncologist. All three of these gentleman are in close communication with one another, for a great "team care" concept. I also know other patients who see Dr Chang at USC for "brain care and maintenance" but who see Dr Steven O'day for medical oncology and overall treatment. Best wishes for your family and your dad during this most terrifying of times. Even if you opt for doctors outside of USC for general treatment… I can't recommend Dr Chang highly enough for management of your dad's brain.

Viewing 4 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics