The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Family avoidance

Forums General Melanoma Community Family avoidance

Participant

Hi all! Just wondering…has anyone else experienced family running for the hills upon hearing of a diagnosis? When my son was first diagnosed about a year ago, the in laws stopped over once right around the time of his first surgery and proceeded to cry as if he were dying – so not exactly helpful, but at least it seemed they cared. Since then, nothing.  We’ve recently tried to improve the situation and outright suggested that a call once in a while would be so helpful. That request was met by outraged excuses that they are too busy,they don’t like making phone calls, and that “why call for bad news?”. I understand that everyone has different coping skills in tough situations, but it’s harder to be understanding about that when it’s not me being hurt – it’s my son. While I hope no one else has experienced  this kind of abandonment , a little advice on how to improve things would be appreciated. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

I am sorry for what you and your son are dealing with…both melanoma and folks reaction to it.  Personally, I have lost those who I thought would be there for me the most, found amazing people who stepped up when they were under no "obligation" to do so, and solidified bonds I never would have imagined could become stronger!  So, for most it is a mixed bag.  I don't really have any solutions for you…but here's a link to many of my posts on the subject:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/searchq=cancer+friends  

Finally, as many of the things I write about suggest….many folks literally have no idea what to do or say to their cancer friend.  If you thought it would help…perhaps sending your peeps some of the words shared on these links (and I don't just mean mine…I have links included from The American Cancer Society, Cancer net, Sloan Kettering, etc) might help them….help you.

I wish you well.  Celeste

Dhva
            Participant

Thank you!

Dhva
              Participant

I read through your posts- they were a gift…I suspect you are, too, to everyone lucky enough to know you.

adrianc
              Participant

I am sorry that you and your son are in this situation.But when it comes to dealing with cancer,both patients,their caregivers and families have different coping skills and attitude towards cancer patients.It also can be the other way around when a cancer patient chooses to keep his own condition  private.I am a melanoma patient and I keep away family and friends with the exception of my husband who is my caregiver.Besides him I am only close and talking  about cancer with his brother,who is also cancer patient,not melanome but bone cancer.I also have a niece who is much younger with three kids that has breast cancer and underwent chemotherapy.Both me and my husband have no information about her current condition neither that of my brother-in-law..They both chose not to discuss their condition.Just accept it that everyone's coping skills with a cancer diagnosis, relatives or not are different . Let your immediate family members  come to you if they are ready to.It is easier said than done but this is the reality of it.Best wishes to you and your son,

Dhva
                  Participant

Yes , you can’t force someone to care or to express that they do. Thanks!

Christinad
                  Participant

I'm sorry you're feeling abandoned by your family and friends. During my first visit with the Oncologist, I remember him telling me don't be surprised if you lose friends/family during treatment and recovery, but you'll also gain new friends.  I didn't believe those words to be true.  My husband and best friend were both at that appointment. My best friend said, "that won't be me".  We'd been best friends since high school. I saw her once more after one of my surgeries and that was it.  My oncologist hit the nail on the head. Several of my family members and friends, who I was certain would not leave my side, disappeared. There were a few who didn't let my diagnosis make our relationship awkward and our relationship remained the same. I also formed stronger relationships with people I would least expect. In the end I realized everyone deals with things differently and sometimes people just don't know what to do or say in tough situations. Hang in there! 

Dhva
                      Participant

Thank you and sorry for your experience.

Dhva
                        Participant

Thank you and sorry for your experience.

Viewing 2 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics