The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

False Hot Spot on PET CT Scan I hope!!!!!

Forums General Melanoma Community False Hot Spot on PET CT Scan I hope!!!!!

Participant

I had a 1.3mm melanoma removed from my thigh and microscopic cells were found in one lymph node.  They did a MRI and PETCT Scan and the results were clean except there is a gumball sized hotspot on the PET Scan on the opposite side of my pelvis where the melanoma was found.  My dr thinks it is probably metabolic activity in my small intestine but to make sure they are going to do a CT Scan to see if its solid – Has anyone had anything like this???  This waiting and worrying is hard to handle.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

PET scans are notorious for false positives, that's why they are often combined with CTs so you can rule out phantoms.  Inflammation, arthritis, trauma areas can all show up on PET scans and aren't cancer (among other things).  Fingers crossed your doc is right.

Renate
            Participant

Thank you!!!  Im getting the scan today and will follow up with results for anyone else that might look at this later.

God Bless!!!!!!

R

Renate
              Participant

Thank you!!!  Im getting the scan today and will follow up with results for anyone else that might look at this later.

God Bless!!!!!!

R

Renate
                Participant

God Bless!!!!!!

R

Renate
                  Participant

God Bless!!!!!!

R

Renate
                    Participant

God Bless!!!!!!

R

Renate
                      Participant

God Bless!!!!!!

R

Janner
                      Participant

PET scans are notorious for false positives, that's why they are often combined with CTs so you can rule out phantoms.  Inflammation, arthritis, trauma areas can all show up on PET scans and aren't cancer (among other things).  Fingers crossed your doc is right.

Janner
                        Participant

AllysonRuth
                          Participant

Hi,

I also had a hotspot from my PET scan in my small intestines.  They did a detailed CT with contrast and didn't find any type of mass.   The intestines usually have hotspots so my oncologist wasn't concerned because he said intestines are always lighting up on PET scans from normal activity.  However, my blood work continued to show that I was probably bleeding internally.   I had a colonoscopy.  Clean.  Upper endoscopy.  Clean.

My oncologist at the Mayo is amazing and wouldn't let it go.  So he ordered the PillCam.  It showed that there might be something in the small intestine, jejunum, even though there was not a mass on the CT scan.  So then I had a double balloon antegrade and they took biopsy's from 9 ulcers in my jejunum.  Sadly, they are melanoma.  However, this is very, very rare.  My GI doctor told me that in his 20 plus years of being a doctor at Mayo he has never seen melanoma specifically in the jejunum.    I should have bought a lottery ticket last week with this luck!

I am not sure this is helpful for you, but it is my experience.  I also have mets in the brain and lung.  In my initial PET scan I had hotspots all over the place, many of which did not turn out to be cancer but rather metabolic activity.  

I completely understand the difficulty of waiting and worrying.  It is SO hard.  I am so sorry.  Melanoma is terrible!  With your history, it is most likely metabolic activity.  

Good luck!!

Allyson

Renate
                              Participant

I am so sorry to hear of your experience – thank God for your doctor!!!!!!  I am so inspired by your journey so far – keep strong and thank you so much for your reply!

XO

Renate

Renate
                                Participant

I am so sorry to hear of your experience – thank God for your doctor!!!!!!  I am so inspired by your journey so far – keep strong and thank you so much for your reply!

XO

Renate

Renate
                                  Participant

XO

Renate

AllysonRuth
                                  Participant

Hi,

I also had a hotspot from my PET scan in my small intestines.  They did a detailed CT with contrast and didn't find any type of mass.   The intestines usually have hotspots so my oncologist wasn't concerned because he said intestines are always lighting up on PET scans from normal activity.  However, my blood work continued to show that I was probably bleeding internally.   I had a colonoscopy.  Clean.  Upper endoscopy.  Clean.

My oncologist at the Mayo is amazing and wouldn't let it go.  So he ordered the PillCam.  It showed that there might be something in the small intestine, jejunum, even though there was not a mass on the CT scan.  So then I had a double balloon antegrade and they took biopsy's from 9 ulcers in my jejunum.  Sadly, they are melanoma.  However, this is very, very rare.  My GI doctor told me that in his 20 plus years of being a doctor at Mayo he has never seen melanoma specifically in the jejunum.    I should have bought a lottery ticket last week with this luck!

I am not sure this is helpful for you, but it is my experience.  I also have mets in the brain and lung.  In my initial PET scan I had hotspots all over the place, many of which did not turn out to be cancer but rather metabolic activity.  

I completely understand the difficulty of waiting and worrying.  It is SO hard.  I am so sorry.  Melanoma is terrible!  With your history, it is most likely metabolic activity.  

Good luck!!

Allyson

AllysonRuth
                                    Participant

Hi,

Good luck!!

Allyson

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics