The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

failure

Forums General Melanoma Community failure

Participant
      Been on vem 17 weeks and told that body mets are stable but new mets in brain and that I need wbr due to their number. I now just feel like a failure clearly I can’t respond to my first treatment so things like ipi and Pd1 will be a waste of time. Would also like the wbr to destroy all the small mets I have I’m the brain but bet I will be the one to not respond. Sorry feeling throughly fed up
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Hstevens0072
        Participant

Don't give up!  I felt the same way when I didn't respond to Ipi.  I'm very happy to say that I am responding to PD1 – three weeks away from one year on MK3475 and I couldn't feel better.

Keep the faith!

Hstevens0072
          Participant

Don't give up!  I felt the same way when I didn't respond to Ipi.  I'm very happy to say that I am responding to PD1 – three weeks away from one year on MK3475 and I couldn't feel better.

Keep the faith!

Hstevens0072
            Participant

Keep the faith!

ecc26
              Participant

I know how you feel. Unfortunately I'm not a shining beacon of hope at the moment as I am likely failing the BRAF/MEK combo- also with brain mets, though a couple of my body mets are growing as well. Trying to figure out what comes next is always frightening and having to do so in the first place is extremely disheartening, I know. But NONE of the therapies out there have particularly great response rates, which is why we should all be greatful that there are so many to choose from. If one doesn't work, we can just move on to another. Additionally, it's pretty well accepted that failure of one therapy has no bearing on your chances of response to another therapy. In other words, there's no reason to think that because Vem isn't working anymore that something else won't work for you. You may have to try more than 1 to find the right thing for you, and perhaps may end up in a clinical trial before you find the right one, but trust that there IS a right therapy out there for you. Even if each therapy only buys a little time until you find the best one for you, it's still time, and still worth it. 

I progressed after IL-2 just about a year ago and had to have WBR- it's not so bad. There's been a few posts in recent days about WBR and what to expect. Since then I've had Gamma Knife twice (but to ease your mind, not for any of the tumors that were present when I did WBR- those haven't shown their face since). I progressed from a IIIB in 2011 to a IIIC NED in June 2012, to a stage IV in November 2012. I've done IL-2, WBR, Ipi, had 2 Gamma knife proceedures, and tried the BRAF/MEK combo, which bought me a few months, but now appears to be failing. Now I'm looking towards PD-1 (through one of the EAP's) or maybe trying to get into the NIH's ACT trial. Each time something fails I get really upset and down and scared, like you are now, and I wonder if anything will ever work. But here I am; almost a year and a half since progressing to stage IV, still plugging along waiting for the right thing to come along. That alone means I've beaten the published odds for both stage IV and brain mets. If I can do it, so can you. There's something out there that will work for you, you just have to trust that it's out there, then go find it. 

Best of luck to you

starletwoman2007
                  Participant
                    Thanks I guess you are right it is the usual of waiting and see what I respond to and just buying myself some more time
                    Can I ask did your hair grow back after wbr? X
                    arthurjedi007
                    Participant

One person on here said no matter how many treatments fail you only need one to work. Stay strong and keep fighting.

I took that to heart and I'm still here fighting. I failed zelboraf. I failed ipi. I failed the taf/mek combo although finally some tumors did respond a little to it. Now I just started the Merck EAP of PD1 hoping this is the one for me.

I know it is hard to keep positive. I'm there too. We just have to keep trying.

arthurjedi007
                      Participant

One person on here said no matter how many treatments fail you only need one to work. Stay strong and keep fighting.

I took that to heart and I'm still here fighting. I failed zelboraf. I failed ipi. I failed the taf/mek combo although finally some tumors did respond a little to it. Now I just started the Merck EAP of PD1 hoping this is the one for me.

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

ecc26
                          Participant

Yes, my hair has grown (mostly) back. I lost my hair at the end of June last year, at the beginnning of the third week of radiation (if you're only doing 2 weeks, your's may start coming out sometime in the second week or not until the whole thing is over). It all came out over a period of about 3 days, most of it in the first 2 days. I chose to shave my hair down to about 1/4 inch the day I first noticed it so I didn't have to deal with handfuls of long hair everywhere. I was mostly bald with an odd arrangement of strangly evenly distributed individual hairs (which were blond, so you couldn't see them unless you looked really close). No other hair reappeared for about 6 months. At this point (11 months from finishing WBR) my hair is mostly back. There's still a spot at the very back of my head that's a bit thin. My hair started to fall out at the very top, then down the sides- I looked very much like an old man with male pattern balding (I am a woman). It returned in the opposite direction (sides first, then the top and back). It's still filling in, but I suspect that that spot at the back will always be a little bit thin- It really doesn't bother me, but I may try to find a style/length that will disguise it so I don't have to sunscreen it when I'm outside.

ecc26
                            Participant

Yes, my hair has grown (mostly) back. I lost my hair at the end of June last year, at the beginnning of the third week of radiation (if you're only doing 2 weeks, your's may start coming out sometime in the second week or not until the whole thing is over). It all came out over a period of about 3 days, most of it in the first 2 days. I chose to shave my hair down to about 1/4 inch the day I first noticed it so I didn't have to deal with handfuls of long hair everywhere. I was mostly bald with an odd arrangement of strangly evenly distributed individual hairs (which were blond, so you couldn't see them unless you looked really close). No other hair reappeared for about 6 months. At this point (11 months from finishing WBR) my hair is mostly back. There's still a spot at the very back of my head that's a bit thin. My hair started to fall out at the very top, then down the sides- I looked very much like an old man with male pattern balding (I am a woman). It returned in the opposite direction (sides first, then the top and back). It's still filling in, but I suspect that that spot at the back will always be a little bit thin- It really doesn't bother me, but I may try to find a style/length that will disguise it so I don't have to sunscreen it when I'm outside.

ecc26
                              Participant

starletwoman2007
                                Participant
                                  Thank you for replying about your hair growing back. Can I ask was the rt successful in destroying the mets
                                  starletwoman2007
                                  Participant
                                    Thank you for replying about your hair growing back. Can I ask was the rt successful in destroying the mets
                                    ecc26
                                    Participant

It was for the mets and possible leptomenigeal disease I had at the time- a year later and nothing is visible or has regrown. However, I developed 4 new mets last December after failing Ipi miserably and spending over a month fighting with my insurance company to let me do a PD-1 trial. By the time we got things figured out and I did the pre-scans for the trial I had 4 brain mets (in completely new locations) and was disqualified from the trial, hence the BRAF/MEK combo. They treated 2 of them in January (not sure why not all 4- I think they said they were too small), and those 2 have done well (though still visible) but my last scan a couple of weeks ago showed growth from the 2 untreated and also 4 more (again, in totally new locations). I just had my second gamma knife this past Monday and with their more powerful MRI they found 3 additional, so I had 9 treated. We'll see how they respond, but all of the mets that were there when I got WBR completely dissapeared and so far have not regrown. As long as I keep having active disease in the rest of my body I'm at risk for developing new brain mets so it's an ongoing challange, but WBR was successful in killing off the brain mets I had at the time.

ecc26
                                      Participant

It was for the mets and possible leptomenigeal disease I had at the time- a year later and nothing is visible or has regrown. However, I developed 4 new mets last December after failing Ipi miserably and spending over a month fighting with my insurance company to let me do a PD-1 trial. By the time we got things figured out and I did the pre-scans for the trial I had 4 brain mets (in completely new locations) and was disqualified from the trial, hence the BRAF/MEK combo. They treated 2 of them in January (not sure why not all 4- I think they said they were too small), and those 2 have done well (though still visible) but my last scan a couple of weeks ago showed growth from the 2 untreated and also 4 more (again, in totally new locations). I just had my second gamma knife this past Monday and with their more powerful MRI they found 3 additional, so I had 9 treated. We'll see how they respond, but all of the mets that were there when I got WBR completely dissapeared and so far have not regrown. As long as I keep having active disease in the rest of my body I'm at risk for developing new brain mets so it's an ongoing challange, but WBR was successful in killing off the brain mets I had at the time.

ed williams
                                        Participant

Hi from Ottawa, Canada. I had three brain mets last sept.2013. They treated me with high does radiation on a machine called  the Cyber Knife at the Ottawa General Hospital, one hour on the table then see ya later. On my 2 follow up MRI scans all has been clear. I was able to get onto the BMS drug trial of Nivilumab and Ipilumab in Jan. of this year and my two lung tumours have been slowly shrinking. If you know the stats on Melanoma, which I tried not to look at for a long time I shouldn't be here writing to you!  There are so many exciting findings and new drugs that are working for Melanoma. I think that the drug trial that I am on and the other PD-1 ones that I have read about are going to change the game. How to feel better about the future, look at some youtube videos on Melanoma about last years ASCO conference. They have some great stuff on Immunotherapy. Best of luck with the treatments. ED   

ed williams
                                          Participant

Hi from Ottawa, Canada. I had three brain mets last sept.2013. They treated me with high does radiation on a machine called  the Cyber Knife at the Ottawa General Hospital, one hour on the table then see ya later. On my 2 follow up MRI scans all has been clear. I was able to get onto the BMS drug trial of Nivilumab and Ipilumab in Jan. of this year and my two lung tumours have been slowly shrinking. If you know the stats on Melanoma, which I tried not to look at for a long time I shouldn't be here writing to you!  There are so many exciting findings and new drugs that are working for Melanoma. I think that the drug trial that I am on and the other PD-1 ones that I have read about are going to change the game. How to feel better about the future, look at some youtube videos on Melanoma about last years ASCO conference. They have some great stuff on Immunotherapy. Best of luck with the treatments. ED   

ed williams
                                            Participant

ecc26
                                              Participant

starletwoman2007
                                                Participant
                                                  starletwoman2007
                                                  Participant
                                                    Thanks I guess you are right it is the usual of waiting and see what I respond to and just buying myself some more time
                                                    starletwoman2007
                                                    Participant
                                                    ecc26
                                                    Participant

I know how you feel. Unfortunately I'm not a shining beacon of hope at the moment as I am likely failing the BRAF/MEK combo- also with brain mets, though a couple of my body mets are growing as well. Trying to figure out what comes next is always frightening and having to do so in the first place is extremely disheartening, I know. But NONE of the therapies out there have particularly great response rates, which is why we should all be greatful that there are so many to choose from. If one doesn't work, we can just move on to another. Additionally, it's pretty well accepted that failure of one therapy has no bearing on your chances of response to another therapy. In other words, there's no reason to think that because Vem isn't working anymore that something else won't work for you. You may have to try more than 1 to find the right thing for you, and perhaps may end up in a clinical trial before you find the right one, but trust that there IS a right therapy out there for you. Even if each therapy only buys a little time until you find the best one for you, it's still time, and still worth it. 

I progressed after IL-2 just about a year ago and had to have WBR- it's not so bad. There's been a few posts in recent days about WBR and what to expect. Since then I've had Gamma Knife twice (but to ease your mind, not for any of the tumors that were present when I did WBR- those haven't shown their face since). I progressed from a IIIB in 2011 to a IIIC NED in June 2012, to a stage IV in November 2012. I've done IL-2, WBR, Ipi, had 2 Gamma knife proceedures, and tried the BRAF/MEK combo, which bought me a few months, but now appears to be failing. Now I'm looking towards PD-1 (through one of the EAP's) or maybe trying to get into the NIH's ACT trial. Each time something fails I get really upset and down and scared, like you are now, and I wonder if anything will ever work. But here I am; almost a year and a half since progressing to stage IV, still plugging along waiting for the right thing to come along. That alone means I've beaten the published odds for both stage IV and brain mets. If I can do it, so can you. There's something out there that will work for you, you just have to trust that it's out there, then go find it. 

Best of luck to you

ecc26
                                                      Participant

Best of luck to you

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics