The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

“Failed” Mek now on to BRAF

Forums General Melanoma Community “Failed” Mek now on to BRAF

Participant

Hi All,

What a journey the last few months have been. My husband has been Stage IV since June 2010 and after being randomized to chemo on the Roche PLX 4032 trial he started on the MEk & PI3K trial in Sept. 10.

Hi All,

What a journey the last few months have been. My husband has been Stage IV since June 2010 and after being randomized to chemo on the Roche PLX 4032 trial he started on the MEk & PI3K trial in Sept. 10.

Six months later and 15% reduction of the tumours he had a bad reaction to the drug ( a all over body rash) and was taken off the study for 3 weeks. Unfortunately during that 3 weeks one of the tumours in his back decided to start growing again and this time grew right towards his spinal cord. We found out it had only grown 14% which meant he could have gone back on the study but because it got so close to his spine, he needed emergency surgery. The study does not allow you back on if you have an "event". Talk about frustrating!

Now 3 weeks after surgery he is almost finished with 4 treatments of stereotactic radiation ( to take care of any remaining tumour near his spine) and he has been allowed to crossover to the PLX 4032 side of the study through the expanded access program. Our Oncologist is hoping it will work, there are some concerns because he was on the Mek drug that it might not.

His plan is keep my hubby on PLX until it fails and then start Ipi (Yervoy) if there is not anything else better at that time. In Canada Ipi is still on trials as our FDA has not approved it yet.

Anyone else go from a Mek to a Braf inhibitor?

I'm also wondering how long those of you on PLX have been taking the drug with success? And has anyone gone from Braf inhibitor to Ipi? Outcomes?

Thanks so much,

Emily

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Terra
        Participant

Emily, I hope that he responds to the BRAF – I just sent you an email then saw that you had posted.  I think you mentioned he is still at PMH, we are there on P13K MEK, Derek started last Thursday.  He is there this Thursday, the two of us will be there the following Thursday staying overnight until Friday.  Let me know if you are around.

We`ll be thinking of you on BRAF and hoping for positive results.

Terra

Terra
          Participant

Emily, I hope that he responds to the BRAF – I just sent you an email then saw that you had posted.  I think you mentioned he is still at PMH, we are there on P13K MEK, Derek started last Thursday.  He is there this Thursday, the two of us will be there the following Thursday staying overnight until Friday.  Let me know if you are around.

We`ll be thinking of you on BRAF and hoping for positive results.

Terra

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics