The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Eye Lid

Forums General Melanoma Community Eye Lid

Participant

Is it possible for melanoma to spread from one part of the body to the eyelid?

Is it possible for melanoma to spread from one part of the body to the eyelid?

My husband is Stage IIIB and had recurrance to one lymphnode in axilla area two years ago, a 5 cm. node with extranodal extension.  No problems since but also has a condition called LyP which comes and goes.  About 3 weeks ago he got a nodule on his eyelid  which he assumed was a stye but it did not hurt but has not gone away.  He now has another in the other eye on the eyelid.  He went to his local eye Dr., only a Dr. for glasses. and he said it could be a Chalazia which is a fancy word for eyelid infection.  He put him on an antiobiotic and he will go back in two weeks.  The nodules are hard and do not hurt.  Just wondering if he is o.k. to wait until his regularly scheduled appt. with oncologist at the end of March to check this out if it does not resolve with the antiobiotic.  From reading about the LyP condition it sounds also like you can get lymphoma of the eyelid too.  We are not really too worried about this at this point but was just wondering if melanoma can spread to the eyelids or if anyone has had any experience with this.  Thanks for your help.   

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jenjen
        Participant

Hi ,

I am pretty sure it is possible for melanoma to spread to the eyelid but it could be a chalazian. I am stage 3 a and last month i devloped a painless nodule in my right eyelid. I was scared it was melanoma , was referred to an eye doctor who speicalized in chalazians. He looked at my eye and said he was 90 percent sure it was this. He said antibiotics do not help. Chalazions go away by themselves but can take up to a year. He gave me steroid eye drops that he said to only use for 2 weeks or so adn this could make it go away. He also scheduled a mini surgery for a month from now to cut it out if it doesnt go away. He schedules it a month out because usually they go away on their own. I've been using the drops now for a week and it is getting smaller. I still freak out that it coudl be melanoma but he said chalazions are pretty common and melanoma wouldnt get smaller. I am about 2.5 years out from my original stage 3 melanoma diagnosis. Keep us posted!

Jenjen

Ann from Iowa
            Participant

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the eyelid problem.  Sounds like exactly the same thing.

I am sure this is an extremely common condition but strange you can go your whole life with never a problem such as this but once you have a serious disease like melanoma it pops up.  Nothing to do with it but both of you have it.  Just a coincidence for sure. Strange that the Dr.  put him on an antiobiotic along with the steroid drops.  Oh well, guess it won't hurt a thing.    Dennis had leukine treatments for a year and radiation to the underarm area and other than lymphedema has just gotten along great.   Will be glad when this eyelid situation clears up.  As I said, we were not too worried about it but it is always in the back of your mind.  Human nature I guess.    Again, thanks. 

Ann from Iowa
              Participant

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the eyelid problem.  Sounds like exactly the same thing.

I am sure this is an extremely common condition but strange you can go your whole life with never a problem such as this but once you have a serious disease like melanoma it pops up.  Nothing to do with it but both of you have it.  Just a coincidence for sure. Strange that the Dr.  put him on an antiobiotic along with the steroid drops.  Oh well, guess it won't hurt a thing.    Dennis had leukine treatments for a year and radiation to the underarm area and other than lymphedema has just gotten along great.   Will be glad when this eyelid situation clears up.  As I said, we were not too worried about it but it is always in the back of your mind.  Human nature I guess.    Again, thanks. 

Ann from Iowa
                Participant

Jenjen
                Participant

Hi ,

I am pretty sure it is possible for melanoma to spread to the eyelid but it could be a chalazian. I am stage 3 a and last month i devloped a painless nodule in my right eyelid. I was scared it was melanoma , was referred to an eye doctor who speicalized in chalazians. He looked at my eye and said he was 90 percent sure it was this. He said antibiotics do not help. Chalazions go away by themselves but can take up to a year. He gave me steroid eye drops that he said to only use for 2 weeks or so adn this could make it go away. He also scheduled a mini surgery for a month from now to cut it out if it doesnt go away. He schedules it a month out because usually they go away on their own. I've been using the drops now for a week and it is getting smaller. I still freak out that it coudl be melanoma but he said chalazions are pretty common and melanoma wouldnt get smaller. I am about 2.5 years out from my original stage 3 melanoma diagnosis. Keep us posted!

Jenjen

Jenjen
                  Participant

Hi ,

Jenjen

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

Great to see JenJen posting.  (Hello Beautiful).

My middle dau had a Chalazion (meibomian cysts) that did ot respond to any treatment so they operated to remove i t.   (This was before she won the Jr. Miss title for our county.)  She has had no more problems in  that area sinc then.

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant

My middle dau had a Chalazion (meibomian cysts) that did ot respond to any treatment so they operated to remove i t.   (This was before she won the Jr. Miss title for our county.)  She has had no more problems in  that area sinc then.

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics