The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Extremely elevated b12-have questions

Forums General Melanoma Community Extremely elevated b12-have questions

Participant

Anyone with liver mets have elevated b12? Normal levels are 200-900. Mine came back at 7500. My Dr. says it must be a lab error. I sure hope so, because everything I read says cirrhosis, hepatitis, liver mets, and leukemia are associated with these extremely high and rare levels. Anyone with liver mets have elevated b12? Any other thoughts on this? Thanks for your comments.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        JerryfromFauq
        Participant

Mine are high, but nothing in that range!  1.325 where 850 iw my labs top of "normal".  The first thing will be to get new blood test for the B-12.

Use cautiously in people with low serum levels of potassium, as the correction of megaloblastic anemia with vitamin B12 may result in fatally low potassium levels.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/high-vitamin-b12-serum-levels-6037.html

High B12 Levels

If your blood test reveals a high vitamin B12 level, it could indicate an underlying medical condition. In “Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests with Nursing Implications,” author Joyce LeFever Kee explains that elevated vitamin B12 is often seen with acute hepatitis, polycythemia vera and myelocytic leukemia. Elevated levels might also be seen with other medical conditions, such as chronic liver disease and cirrhosis. Certain oral contraceptive medications might also cause elevated vitamin B12 levels. It’s important to note that the elevated vitamin B12 level is not the cause of these diseases — it's simply a symptom associated with the diseases.

Toxicity Concerns

Since vitamin B12 is dissolved in water, the body simply excretes excess amounts through the urine. In fact, the Office of Dietary Supplements explains that it has a low potential for toxicity. The website goes on to explain that no adverse effects have been associated with high serum levels of vitamin B12.

JerryfromFauq
          Participant

Mine are high, but nothing in that range!  1.325 where 850 iw my labs top of "normal".  The first thing will be to get new blood test for the B-12.

Use cautiously in people with low serum levels of potassium, as the correction of megaloblastic anemia with vitamin B12 may result in fatally low potassium levels.

High B12 Levels

If your blood test reveals a high vitamin B12 level, it could indicate an underlying medical condition. In “Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests with Nursing Implications,” author Joyce LeFever Kee explains that elevated vitamin B12 is often seen with acute hepatitis, polycythemia vera and myelocytic leukemia. Elevated levels might also be seen with other medical conditions, such as chronic liver disease and cirrhosis. Certain oral contraceptive medications might also cause elevated vitamin B12 levels. It’s important to note that the elevated vitamin B12 level is not the cause of these diseases — it's simply a symptom associated with the diseases.

Toxicity Concerns

Since vitamin B12 is dissolved in water, the body simply excretes excess amounts through the urine. In fact, the Office of Dietary Supplements explains that it has a low potential for toxicity. The website goes on to explain that no adverse effects have been associated with high serum levels of vitamin B12.

JerryfromFauq
            Participant

High B12 Levels

Toxicity Concerns

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics