The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Exercising with melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Exercising with melanoma

Participant

I am diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma. since last feb. Have been on Zelboraf since sept.12, 2011. Drug is working remarkably. no noticeable tumors on neck.Have had side effects but can live with them.Have a weight loss from 212 down to 196 and steady. Body was firm at start but is now a little flabby.Would love to weight lift to firm up stomach and legs especially.has anyone done this before.Any down side if done with caution and moderation. Would like your input from those who have been thru this.Thanks

I am diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma. since last feb. Have been on Zelboraf since sept.12, 2011. Drug is working remarkably. no noticeable tumors on neck.Have had side effects but can live with them.Have a weight loss from 212 down to 196 and steady. Body was firm at start but is now a little flabby.Would love to weight lift to firm up stomach and legs especially.has anyone done this before.Any down side if done with caution and moderation. Would like your input from those who have been thru this.Thanks

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        justlittleoleme
        Participant

I would ask the oncologist.  My husband is on ipi and he is back exercising.  Just can't do any contact sports.  I feel its important to your body to continue exercising.

just my 2 cents!

keep on keeping on….

justlittleoleme
          Participant

I would ask the oncologist.  My husband is on ipi and he is back exercising.  Just can't do any contact sports.  I feel its important to your body to continue exercising.

just my 2 cents!

keep on keeping on….

justlittleoleme
            Participant

just my 2 cents!

keep on keeping on….

jcraigdawson
              Participant

I'm currently doing a Phase 2 trial, and all my onc's want me exercising. Run it by your doc first.

jcraigdawson
                Participant

I'm currently doing a Phase 2 trial, and all my onc's want me exercising. Run it by your doc first.

jcraigdawson
                  Participant

yoopergirl
                    Participant

I would ask your doctor what limitations you would have but I am taking the ipi treatment and work out at a fitness center 3 times a week. I have found that when I lift the weights it bothers my arm where all my surgery was done so just don't lift now, more cardio.

yoopergirl
                      Participant

I would ask your doctor what limitations you would have but I am taking the ipi treatment and work out at a fitness center 3 times a week. I have found that when I lift the weights it bothers my arm where all my surgery was done so just don't lift now, more cardio.

yoopergirl
                        Participant

MaryD
                          Participant

I would run it by your oncologist but I exercised, and was encouraged to by my oncs, through most all of my treatments.  It really helps with maintaining energy level and overall fitness.   Some days can be harder than others but even just taking a walk can be helpful.    I've also used weights throughout many of my treatments.

Glad to hear you are responding well and wishing you continued successful results!

Mary

MaryD
                            Participant

I would run it by your oncologist but I exercised, and was encouraged to by my oncs, through most all of my treatments.  It really helps with maintaining energy level and overall fitness.   Some days can be harder than others but even just taking a walk can be helpful.    I've also used weights throughout many of my treatments.

Glad to hear you are responding well and wishing you continued successful results!

Mary

MaryD
                              Participant

Mary

jag
                                Participant

Just think of it this way, the better shape you are in, the easier it is to get out of a hospital bed.  

jag
                                  Participant

Just think of it this way, the better shape you are in, the easier it is to get out of a hospital bed.  

jag
                                    Participant

kthekhal
                                      Participant

I am a stage 3b survivor (had my complete lymph nodes removel from left arm in Oct 2008)  and NED ever since – and I attribute my NED'ness to Yoga (breathing & phycical exercises).

Please join a Yoga class and practice the exercises every day – and not only you will be fit, you will be healthy for life. Yoga asanas & Pranayama cleans the body internally and gets rid of all toxins from the body – recently I helped a friend who had his 4th recurrence of sarcoma and the doctors gave up on him , but today he is relatively healthy by practising Yoga everyday.

Yoga cures cancer  – but there is lot of effort needed  – unfortunately majority of cancer patients want a pill or a vaccine to help them and not ready to put effot in doing Yoga  – or they do it half heartedly for a few minutes and then claim that Yoga did not help them and criticize it.

If you are a cancer patient and willing to spend 2 hours every day  doing Yopa (one hour in the morning and one in the evening)  – you will be completely cured of all ailments – I guarantee you this.

Good luck.

kthekhal
                                        Participant

I am a stage 3b survivor (had my complete lymph nodes removel from left arm in Oct 2008)  and NED ever since – and I attribute my NED'ness to Yoga (breathing & phycical exercises).

Please join a Yoga class and practice the exercises every day – and not only you will be fit, you will be healthy for life. Yoga asanas & Pranayama cleans the body internally and gets rid of all toxins from the body – recently I helped a friend who had his 4th recurrence of sarcoma and the doctors gave up on him , but today he is relatively healthy by practising Yoga everyday.

Yoga cures cancer  – but there is lot of effort needed  – unfortunately majority of cancer patients want a pill or a vaccine to help them and not ready to put effot in doing Yoga  – or they do it half heartedly for a few minutes and then claim that Yoga did not help them and criticize it.

If you are a cancer patient and willing to spend 2 hours every day  doing Yopa (one hour in the morning and one in the evening)  – you will be completely cured of all ailments – I guarantee you this.

Good luck.

zaccarin
                                            Participant

I do yoga every day. It really helps me build the core strength that I need as a care giver. Today I suggested that my husband do the "cat pose" to help with back pain and help build arm muscle. It was effective. I just saw your post, and I agree. Pranayana  breathing can be very effective, and the poses can help in myriad ways. Thanks for posting this good advice.

zaccarin
                                              Participant

I do yoga every day. It really helps me build the core strength that I need as a care giver. Today I suggested that my husband do the "cat pose" to help with back pain and help build arm muscle. It was effective. I just saw your post, and I agree. Pranayana  breathing can be very effective, and the poses can help in myriad ways. Thanks for posting this good advice.

zaccarin
                                                Participant

kthekhal
                                                Participant

Good luck.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics