The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Exercise promotes cuteanous healing

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Exercise promotes cuteanous healing

Participant
      I had my WLE on January 17th and they patched me up on January 31st (scalp reconstruction and rotation, 55 staples). The wound opened up when the staples were removed and I have posted about it on here before.

About 3 weeks ago my scalp kinda hit a plateau. It just wasn’t healing anymore, or had slowed considerably. A week went by and the wound really had not changed at all and was still leaking and bleeding.

Around 9 days ago I started lifting weights again, properly with no restrictions. And since then it’s like the healing went really quickly. I went from a hole in my head to almost closed and the skin that has formed has feeling and sensation too. I expect it to be fully closed in the coming days.

I also found a paper from 2008 by the NIH that states exercise accelerates cutaneous wound healing in mice, so it may not be my imagination at all. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18003791

Hopefully this helps someone.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennifer83
        Participant
          This is great news, sj! Wishing you continued healing!
      Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics