The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Excision Clinical Trial

Forums General Melanoma Community Excision Clinical Trial

Participant

So my surgery for lymphoscintigraphy and excision is set for June 2nd. My doctor has requested that I join a clinical trial whereby instead of 2cm margins on the incision, I may be chosen to have only 1cm margins taken.

Apparently, this is a world-wide trial and they're trying to see if smaller margins result ONLY in a smaller scar as opposed to missed cancer cells.

I'm a bit nervous about being part of this trial and would like some opinions please.I've been clinically staged at 2b with more than 1 mitosis/mm2

Ann

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Once upon a time, they did this trial before.  Maybe not the exact thing, but margins USED to be much larger.  They studied larger versus smaller margins and opted to go smaller.   I'd say that you see more people on here who have mets to their sentinel node than have local recurrences.  If your sentinel node is clear, then you could watch for anything going on locally.  You could always attempt the trial and if you still feel anxious later, drop and have larger margins.  One thing to consider is you might get more/better followup in a trial than you would otherwise get with a local onc.  

I've had 3 primaries – stage 1b – and no local or distant recurrence.  (24 years now).  My father was stage II at diagnosis and also had lymph node involvement but no local involvement.  It's a tough call and you have to go with what you could live with.  Honestly, the extra followup given in a trial might sway me to try it.  Let us know what you decide!

Janner
          Participant

Once upon a time, they did this trial before.  Maybe not the exact thing, but margins USED to be much larger.  They studied larger versus smaller margins and opted to go smaller.   I'd say that you see more people on here who have mets to their sentinel node than have local recurrences.  If your sentinel node is clear, then you could watch for anything going on locally.  You could always attempt the trial and if you still feel anxious later, drop and have larger margins.  One thing to consider is you might get more/better followup in a trial than you would otherwise get with a local onc.  

I've had 3 primaries – stage 1b – and no local or distant recurrence.  (24 years now).  My father was stage II at diagnosis and also had lymph node involvement but no local involvement.  It's a tough call and you have to go with what you could live with.  Honestly, the extra followup given in a trial might sway me to try it.  Let us know what you decide!

youngann
              Participant

Thank you! I actually feel a little better knowing that this type of trial has been done before and they opted to go with the smaller margins.

I'm not sure that I'd get more/better followup with the trial as melanoma is one of my oncologist's specialties.

Janner
                Participant

Melanoma might be a specialty of your doc, but a clinical trial may demand scans or followups that are more rigorous than your doc might do otherwise.  Clinical trials have a pretty strict protocol defined for each trial and it often provides more surveillance or higher frequency for longer periods of time than you might get normally.   It is worth asking the question on followups.  Even people who do a trial that have a placebo option might have closer scrutiny because clinical trials demand it.  That's one perk of clinical trials that I think should be considered by everyone.

Janner
                  Participant

Melanoma might be a specialty of your doc, but a clinical trial may demand scans or followups that are more rigorous than your doc might do otherwise.  Clinical trials have a pretty strict protocol defined for each trial and it often provides more surveillance or higher frequency for longer periods of time than you might get normally.   It is worth asking the question on followups.  Even people who do a trial that have a placebo option might have closer scrutiny because clinical trials demand it.  That's one perk of clinical trials that I think should be considered by everyone.

Janner
                    Participant

youngann
                      Participant

I hadn't thought of that. Thank you!

youngann
                        Participant

youngann
                          Participant

youngann
                            Participant

Thank you! I actually feel a little better knowing that this type of trial has been done before and they opted to go with the smaller margins.

I'm not sure that I'd get more/better followup with the trial as melanoma is one of my oncologist's specialties.

youngann
                              Participant

Janner
                              Participant

LaurieGayle
                                Participant

That's a tough call. I don't know what I would do. I think I would ask what the follow-up would be and what the data is so far. Maybe take the time to write down all your questions and make sure you get answers.

Good luck!

LaurieGayle
                                  Participant

That's a tough call. I don't know what I would do. I think I would ask what the follow-up would be and what the data is so far. Maybe take the time to write down all your questions and make sure you get answers.

Good luck!

LaurieGayle
                                    Participant

Good luck!

LaurieGayle
                                      Participant

Good luck!

LaurieGayle
                                        Participant

Good luck!

youngann
                                            Participant

Thank you. I'll definitely check up on that.

youngann
                                              Participant

youngann
                                                Participant

youngann
                                                  Participant

Very relieved to find out that I've been randomly selected to get the 2cm margins instead of 1 cm. This means that I still get all the extra follow-up without the risk of a small incision.

youngann
                                                    Participant

Very relieved to find out that I've been randomly selected to get the 2cm margins instead of 1 cm. This means that I still get all the extra follow-up without the risk of a small incision.

karimg
                                                      Participant

Congrats! Is there any other CTs you know of ?

karimg
                                                        Participant

karimg
                                                          Participant

youngann
                                                            Participant

LaurieGayle
                                                            Participant

Good luck!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics