The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Eric’s Scans – Some Good Some Bad?

Forums General Melanoma Community Eric’s Scans – Some Good Some Bad?

Participant

Eric has been on the GSK BRAF/MEK Combo Trial.  The changes in his leg have been outstanding!  His tumors are shrinking rapidly.  One external tumor on his leg went from being 4 1/4 inches to less than 2 inches and his leg is actually normal size for the internal tumors shrinking.

Eric has been on the GSK BRAF/MEK Combo Trial.  The changes in his leg have been outstanding!  His tumors are shrinking rapidly.  One external tumor on his leg went from being 4 1/4 inches to less than 2 inches and his leg is actually normal size for the internal tumors shrinking.

What is confusing for me is that he has new enlarged tumors around his heart and new non-calcified nodules in his lungs.  Why would the treatment work in his leg and not the heart and lungs?  His Oncologist said that if he hadn't obviously had response in his leg they probably would have stopped the treatment.

Thanks for any help.  JillNEric in OH

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

Jill n Eric,

It is possible that differnt locations may have different mutations. Where was he tested for BRAF?  Can they Biopsy the heart and lung nodules? It may help the path foward.

Best regards,

Jimmy B

EricNJill
            Participant

Hi Jim,

I didn't realize that you could have different mutations in different areas…wow.  He was tested on the leg, which would explain why the treatment is working in his leg.  They have not biopsied the lungs and heart.  They just recently showed up on the January, 2011 scan and then again on this most recent scan March 18th.

Jill

EricNJill
              Participant

Hi Jim,

I didn't realize that you could have different mutations in different areas…wow.  He was tested on the leg, which would explain why the treatment is working in his leg.  They have not biopsied the lungs and heart.  They just recently showed up on the January, 2011 scan and then again on this most recent scan March 18th.

Jill

jim Breitfeller
              Participant

Jill n Eric,

It is possible that differnt locations may have different mutations. Where was he tested for BRAF?  Can they Biopsy the heart and lung nodules? It may help the path foward.

Best regards,

Jimmy B

Lori C
                Participant

Jill, Will's subcutaneous tumors responded very quickly to biochemotherapy and the taxol/carboplatin regimen, while his liver and spleen tumors did not.  I am not sure if it is just a matter of the internal tumors being more difficult in terms of a response or slower or what the issue is. 

I can't offer much in the way of explanation – only can tell you that this was our experience on a different treatment regimen as well. 

Are the tumors by his heart operable?

Lori C
                  Participant

Jill, Will's subcutaneous tumors responded very quickly to biochemotherapy and the taxol/carboplatin regimen, while his liver and spleen tumors did not.  I am not sure if it is just a matter of the internal tumors being more difficult in terms of a response or slower or what the issue is. 

I can't offer much in the way of explanation – only can tell you that this was our experience on a different treatment regimen as well. 

Are the tumors by his heart operable?

premedy
                    Participant

I can't be of any help but just wanted to say I read your previous posts and I'm pulling for you guys.

pat

killmel
                        Participant

Hi Jill,

How is Eric's infection? Have the antibiotic helped…are they working??

Hang tough, we are all ulling for you!.

Wendy

killmel
                          Participant

Hi Jill,

How is Eric's infection? Have the antibiotic helped…are they working??

Hang tough, we are all ulling for you!.

Wendy

premedy
                          Participant

I can't be of any help but just wanted to say I read your previous posts and I'm pulling for you guys.

pat

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics