The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Eligibility for NIH Trials

Forums General Melanoma Community Eligibility for NIH Trials

Participant

I just got off the phone with the NIH recruitment center.  I'd identified a trial I thought would be a good approach for me.  Some of the NIH trials stipulate that patients with 3 or fewer brain mets are allowed.  Some say nothing at all about brain qualifications.  Apparently, the lack of mention doesn't mean there are no restrictions –  the nurse was insistent that all their trials required three or fewer brain mets.  I am devastated – but I also don't fully believe her.  Does anybody know 100% if this is true? 

I just got off the phone with the NIH recruitment center.  I'd identified a trial I thought would be a good approach for me.  Some of the NIH trials stipulate that patients with 3 or fewer brain mets are allowed.  Some say nothing at all about brain qualifications.  Apparently, the lack of mention doesn't mean there are no restrictions –  the nurse was insistent that all their trials required three or fewer brain mets.  I am devastated – but I also don't fully believe her.  Does anybody know 100% if this is true? 

Katy

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Charlie S
        Participant

Can't speak for NIH, but in general, three brain mets can be a go-no-go for not only many trials, but many mainstream treatments and SRS as well.

The point is that those mets must be addressed in a medically appropriate way FIRST, because that is the most active threat to a patent above all else.

As a side note, from personal experience, the trial nurses at NIH WANT to qualify people for trials, they really do; and I can see no reason they would apply random or arbitary rules; rather, they are bound by the trial protocols handed to them for trial recruitment screening.

Many trials have timelines of previous treatments, trials and surgeries and measureable disease that are not widely advertised in the trial recruitment abstract guidelines; so please do not feel you are being singled out, rather, though I can only begin to understand how deflating this news was to you…..try and use it to lay out a plan forward..

For instance, what are the trial recruitment guidelines/waiting times  for previously treated brain mets?  What exclusionary prior treatments are there? Are any particular treatments exclusionary or inclusionary? 

This news to you is an obstacle but it also another reason to keep working the problem; piece by piece.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
          Participant

Can't speak for NIH, but in general, three brain mets can be a go-no-go for not only many trials, but many mainstream treatments and SRS as well.

The point is that those mets must be addressed in a medically appropriate way FIRST, because that is the most active threat to a patent above all else.

As a side note, from personal experience, the trial nurses at NIH WANT to qualify people for trials, they really do; and I can see no reason they would apply random or arbitary rules; rather, they are bound by the trial protocols handed to them for trial recruitment screening.

Many trials have timelines of previous treatments, trials and surgeries and measureable disease that are not widely advertised in the trial recruitment abstract guidelines; so please do not feel you are being singled out, rather, though I can only begin to understand how deflating this news was to you…..try and use it to lay out a plan forward..

For instance, what are the trial recruitment guidelines/waiting times  for previously treated brain mets?  What exclusionary prior treatments are there? Are any particular treatments exclusionary or inclusionary? 

This news to you is an obstacle but it also another reason to keep working the problem; piece by piece.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
            Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

jag
              Participant

I bet if we had a penny for all of the long term melanoma survivors that went to the NIH, well, we would have a haypenny.

Here are a bunch more options.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=melanoma+brain+mets

jag
                Participant

I bet if we had a penny for all of the long term melanoma survivors that went to the NIH, well, we would have a haypenny.

jag
                  Participant

Phil S
                    Participant
                      Katy, Glad to see your post, have been wondering how you were doing! My husband has brain mets, and also recently completed WBR, we are in Texas right now at MD Anderson. I remember Phil’s local doctor reminding us that NIH is a research center while MD Anderson is a cancer hospital, so for now we have put our energy into finding treatment here! I couldn’t find anything that Phil qualified for at NIH.
                      Hope you are feeling well, running, and fighting on! God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                      Phil S
                      Participant
                        Katy, Glad to see your post, have been wondering how you were doing! My husband has brain mets, and also recently completed WBR, we are in Texas right now at MD Anderson. I remember Phil’s local doctor reminding us that NIH is a research center while MD Anderson is a cancer hospital, so for now we have put our energy into finding treatment here! I couldn’t find anything that Phil qualified for at NIH.
                        Hope you are feeling well, running, and fighting on! God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                        Phil S
                        Participant
                      Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics