The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Electrotherapy for melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Electrotherapy for melanoma

Participant
      Hi Folks,
      Does anybody experienced electrotherapy before for melanoma? Do you have any information about this treatment?
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

This process is not very commonly used in the United States.  The premise, however, is that an electrical charge is used to drive the drug (often bleomycin) into the cells in order to attack the cancer.  It is most often used as a topical therapy.  

Don't know if this helps you much.  Yours, celeste

obtu.bt
            Participant

thanks for feedback Bubbles, I am looking on it those days to have more information. But could not find a clinical trial yet on it.

Polymath
            Participant

I participated in a clinical trial using the technique, called "electroporation".  When cells are exposed to electrical charge, they open up, becoming more porous, making an injected drug more effective, or so the theory goes.

Although it was unsuccessful in my case, apparently some other participants were responding. I would think that the drug used, would make a big difference.  The charge was applied directly to subcutaneous tumors.  It was painful during the shock, but no lingering pain afterwards.

Although unsuccessful for me, and painful during the procedure, it may be worth a try for those candidates who qualify for treatment.

Gary

obtu.bt
                Participant

Hi Gary,

Thank you for feedback. I have take a look at your profile so how are you doing now? I think you were on Oncosec -IL12 trial with electroporation don't you? I am following new steps of Oncesec as well. do you use any immunotherapy drugs currently?

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics