The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Eharmony

Forums General Melanoma Community Eharmony

Participant

Apparently *I* am accepting applications  crying and Neil, 50, is one of the prospects in my virtual black book  ( he was first, I was too shaken  to note the other takers).  Of course, I am not in the market for a date, but that's another topic.

Apparently *I* am accepting applications  crying and Neil, 50, is one of the prospects in my virtual black book  ( he was first, I was too shaken  to note the other takers).  Of course, I am not in the market for a date, but that's another topic.

I was REALLY trying to view the profile of a friend…they sent it to me the other day, I opened and made my comments on content. I'm matchmaking again and was going to view it once more before I forwarded on to my female friend.

I go to the site and I have to sign in- huh? I don't  remember doing that…but thought maybe I did anyway. To make it short ( for John), nothing works, I have to register. I do. No place to plug in the friend's profile name. I search everywhere. Nada. I have to fill in some further info..ok…THEN it's page after page of questions. I fill them in ( interesting)  and wait. STILL no place to plug in my friend's profile for the last minute glance. HOW did I see it before?

Holy Moley, I'm registered on a dating site and they are sending e-mail !  Just what I need. Neil sounds nice, though & I wonder if HE needs a matchmaker other than Eharmony! enlightened  I might try Match.com and see who I will not be dating over there!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        LV
        Participant

Honestly, the dating sites that charge are no better than the ones that are free, and are way more cumbersome to use. Encourage your 'friend' to try either Plenty of Fish, or OK Cupid. 'She' just needs to be discriminating. It's ok to look, as they say in one of the ads.

I'm speaking from experience here.

I automatically ruled out any man posing with his motorcycle, or who lists it as something he can't live without, or as his favorite thing to do. Who needs someone with a middlife crisis? I'm surprised that I don't see even more motorcycles on the road, as apparently 85 percent of single men are riding their Harleys every chance they get.

Some of the pictures men post are hysterical (I'm sure there are some funny women's pics, too, but I haven't been perusing them). Some of them are so clueless about how they present themselves. My favorite so far is one of a man, probably in his mid 60s – although he says he younger – who thought it would be fine to pose in front of his open closet door!  It's pathetic. Maybe that's his way of making a statement, but I don't wanna know. He couldn't find a slightly more appealing backdrop?

And while stretching the truth about their ages is common, let me say that there are a lot of short men out there who haven't come to terms with their height. Maybe not too surprising, considering how many of them don't know the difference between 6 inches and a foot. Or so I've heard.

TinaR
            Participant

No, really.  It WAS for my friend -ha! People here can confirm!!!    It's one of the "boys next door" I grew up with…he lost his wife to kidney disease when his youngest was 1 and the next was 5 ( both adopted from Russia). So now he is a single father…nine years.  He rarely gets a moment to date and NEEDS my help- desperately.

He had his his outer mileage at 50 and his preferred build at SLENDER!!!  I told him if he needs to change the mileage to the tri-state area…but really needs to change the the build to Slender to Average. There isn't a woman I know – 40-55- who really thinks they are  slender and they all want to lose at least 5 pounds. He doesn't get why he wasn't having any luck— Slender to him is Average. Slender to a 45-50 year old woman is size 0. Men, pffftttt….no wonder God created women. Yeah, advise them early on in your online profile that you're a jerk with unrealistic expectations…

I will pass on the info about the free sites. Makes sense as I would no sooner pay to meet a man than I would pay to sleep with one!  If there are men out there for free…why pay? But IF I were looking…my reject list would look similar to yours …I'd also have to include any car that wasn't safe..pickup trucks, barco-lounger shots, pictures  with dogs, cats…assorted odd pets, pictures that included beer, nachos or pitchforks, farm animals, NASCAR, golf clubs, sports paraphernalia or clothing, baseball caps, guns, t-shirts or foam fingers.  I'm sure there are others…but that's what comes to mind.

A friend of the family, a very nice looking 47 year old man recently separated from his long time girlfriend (20+ years) . He is…um …an underachiever. Graduated from American, nice family… had good prospects back in the early days…he is a painter in a retirement home. He prefers zero pressure. (?). His girlfriend was an Architect and nice enough,  but about as animated as a brick. So he decides to join Match.com and sends me the pictures his friend took . Aiy Aiy aiy…one is the most unattractive view of his nostrils and the other…his friend's gigantic dog with his nose planted in the guy's crotch ?  WHA?  The photographer friend is also on the prowl …so it kinda explains the pictures…although, that snake is an attorney and the income disparity ruled out having to sabotage his our friend's picture!!!

Needless to say, he chose the nostril picture …and he didn't get many dates. Fixed him up with the woman who works at our local bank.  She is adorable and they are very happy together and she is seven years older!!! A  long distance relationship but that may change as they have banks everywhere and old age homes, too!

LV
              Participant

Yes, there's a huge disparity between men's and women's views of their body types. Men that I would tag as 'a few extra pounds' declare themselves to be average, or even athletic! And they want women who are 'slender and toned', and 10  to 20 years younger than they are.

I agree with most of your reasons to reject an applicant, except for the animals. I don't mind them. And I would add those who are wearing sleeveless shirts, or worse yet, no shirt! Ugh! I cannot imagine what in the world they're thinking. Most likely, they just aren't. Par for the course.

LV
                Participant

Yes, there's a huge disparity between men's and women's views of their body types. Men that I would tag as 'a few extra pounds' declare themselves to be average, or even athletic! And they want women who are 'slender and toned', and 10  to 20 years younger than they are.

I agree with most of your reasons to reject an applicant, except for the animals. I don't mind them. And I would add those who are wearing sleeveless shirts, or worse yet, no shirt! Ugh! I cannot imagine what in the world they're thinking. Most likely, they just aren't. Par for the course.

TinaR
                  Participant

No, really.  It WAS for my friend -ha! People here can confirm!!!    It's one of the "boys next door" I grew up with…he lost his wife to kidney disease when his youngest was 1 and the next was 5 ( both adopted from Russia). So now he is a single father…nine years.  He rarely gets a moment to date and NEEDS my help- desperately.

He had his his outer mileage at 50 and his preferred build at SLENDER!!!  I told him if he needs to change the mileage to the tri-state area…but really needs to change the the build to Slender to Average. There isn't a woman I know – 40-55- who really thinks they are  slender and they all want to lose at least 5 pounds. He doesn't get why he wasn't having any luck— Slender to him is Average. Slender to a 45-50 year old woman is size 0. Men, pffftttt….no wonder God created women. Yeah, advise them early on in your online profile that you're a jerk with unrealistic expectations…

I will pass on the info about the free sites. Makes sense as I would no sooner pay to meet a man than I would pay to sleep with one!  If there are men out there for free…why pay? But IF I were looking…my reject list would look similar to yours …I'd also have to include any car that wasn't safe..pickup trucks, barco-lounger shots, pictures  with dogs, cats…assorted odd pets, pictures that included beer, nachos or pitchforks, farm animals, NASCAR, golf clubs, sports paraphernalia or clothing, baseball caps, guns, t-shirts or foam fingers.  I'm sure there are others…but that's what comes to mind.

A friend of the family, a very nice looking 47 year old man recently separated from his long time girlfriend (20+ years) . He is…um …an underachiever. Graduated from American, nice family… had good prospects back in the early days…he is a painter in a retirement home. He prefers zero pressure. (?). His girlfriend was an Architect and nice enough,  but about as animated as a brick. So he decides to join Match.com and sends me the pictures his friend took . Aiy Aiy aiy…one is the most unattractive view of his nostrils and the other…his friend's gigantic dog with his nose planted in the guy's crotch ?  WHA?  The photographer friend is also on the prowl …so it kinda explains the pictures…although, that snake is an attorney and the income disparity ruled out having to sabotage his our friend's picture!!!

Needless to say, he chose the nostril picture …and he didn't get many dates. Fixed him up with the woman who works at our local bank.  She is adorable and they are very happy together and she is seven years older!!! A  long distance relationship but that may change as they have banks everywhere and old age homes, too!

LV
                  Participant

Honestly, the dating sites that charge are no better than the ones that are free, and are way more cumbersome to use. Encourage your 'friend' to try either Plenty of Fish, or OK Cupid. 'She' just needs to be discriminating. It's ok to look, as they say in one of the ads.

I'm speaking from experience here.

I automatically ruled out any man posing with his motorcycle, or who lists it as something he can't live without, or as his favorite thing to do. Who needs someone with a middlife crisis? I'm surprised that I don't see even more motorcycles on the road, as apparently 85 percent of single men are riding their Harleys every chance they get.

Some of the pictures men post are hysterical (I'm sure there are some funny women's pics, too, but I haven't been perusing them). Some of them are so clueless about how they present themselves. My favorite so far is one of a man, probably in his mid 60s – although he says he younger – who thought it would be fine to pose in front of his open closet door!  It's pathetic. Maybe that's his way of making a statement, but I don't wanna know. He couldn't find a slightly more appealing backdrop?

And while stretching the truth about their ages is common, let me say that there are a lot of short men out there who haven't come to terms with their height. Maybe not too surprising, considering how many of them don't know the difference between 6 inches and a foot. Or so I've heard.

Bonnie Lea
                    Participant

Oh I am so sorry Rox…but it is funny.   Mother of the Groom seeks sanity clause  that is your story and you must stick to it.

TinaR
                        Participant

Bonnie, trust me, if I were really online looking for a mate…I would be impersonating my son and looking for a gal posed in front of her closet with pictures of her LOVELY shoes!!!!

TinaR
                          Participant

Bonnie, trust me, if I were really online looking for a mate…I would be impersonating my son and looking for a gal posed in front of her closet with pictures of her LOVELY shoes!!!!

Bonnie Lea
                          Participant

Oh I am so sorry Rox…but it is funny.   Mother of the Groom seeks sanity clause  that is your story and you must stick to it.

raysa
                            Participant

Do you know you make me smile so many times!  Some day it would be fun to meet.

I am doing well (did you ask?).

I get pretty tired from teaching and raising my last child, but nothing that a good "yawn" won't take care of!

Bonnie Lea
                                Participant

seriously….  I thought all the good yawns were taken!  Yawns are contageous one yawn spawns another yawn, and so on and so on and so on….

angel

Bonnie Lea
                                  Participant

seriously….  I thought all the good yawns were taken!  Yawns are contageous one yawn spawns another yawn, and so on and so on and so on….

angel

TinaR
                                    Participant

Oh, Raysa. I'm glad that I can brighten your day once in awhile…but must you rub your good fortune in at every opportunity? I'm still having a difficult time recovering from the triple date to the inauguration!  It was just too too much for my envious heart to bear.

I'm glad you're doing well…I didn't ask 😉 but consider my concern for everyone's well-being implied…this by my continued participation and efforts to share my daily life and shame to move the board along!

Oh — you might want to brace yourself… didn't you read the news? You've been canoodling with …. BW…not that there's anything wrong with that and it would probably work out better for all the gals on the board…multiple wives for everyone!!!

TinaR
                                      Participant

Oh, Raysa. I'm glad that I can brighten your day once in awhile…but must you rub your good fortune in at every opportunity? I'm still having a difficult time recovering from the triple date to the inauguration!  It was just too too much for my envious heart to bear.

I'm glad you're doing well…I didn't ask 😉 but consider my concern for everyone's well-being implied…this by my continued participation and efforts to share my daily life and shame to move the board along!

Oh — you might want to brace yourself… didn't you read the news? You've been canoodling with …. BW…not that there's anything wrong with that and it would probably work out better for all the gals on the board…multiple wives for everyone!!!

raysa
                                      Participant

Do you know you make me smile so many times!  Some day it would be fun to meet.

I am doing well (did you ask?).

I get pretty tired from teaching and raising my last child, but nothing that a good "yawn" won't take care of!

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics