The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Early menopause

Forums General Melanoma Community Early menopause

Participant

So I finished my year of Interferon 9/30/2016. Since then, I've missed 3 periods (I'm not pregnant), and I'm having hot flashes and night sweats. I'm doing a "wellness beyond cancer" clinic at the hospital next week to deal with gynecological issues, so obviously I'm going to talk about this with them, just wondering if this is something other women have experienced after treatment. I'm 28, married, with no kids yet. It's weird.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        wasserd
        Participant
          Hi Sarah, I haven’t done interferon but have been on Tafinlar-Mekinist combo for 18 months now, and my once regular cycle is totally off. When I bring it up with my oncologist, I’m told that it isn’t a known side effect, even though a correspondent of mine who takes same combo and is younger than me has had similar thing happen. (I’m almost 45, so in my case it could well be perimenopause.) You’re right to be concerned and I hope you find an answer!
            Nanners10
            Participant
              Hi Sarah,

I am three quarters of the way through interferon treatment and wanted to let you know that I am currently in a post menopausal state from the interferon. I have asked my onc if it will return once the treatment is over and he said he wasn’t really sure. I am 41. He did mention the possibility of this beforehand to me to ensure that I didn’t want anymore children.

I hope you can get answers.

Congratulations on finishing your treatment!

Nancy

Nanners10
              Participant
                Hi Sarah,

I am three quarters of the way through interferon treatment and wanted to let you know that I am currently in a post menopausal state from the interferon. I have asked my onc if it will return once the treatment is over and he said he wasn’t really sure. I am 41. He did mention the possibility of this beforehand to me to ensure that I didn’t want anymore children.

Nancy

Nanners10
                Participant
                  Hi Sarah,

Nancy

wasserd
                Participant
                  Hi Sarah, I haven’t done interferon but have been on Tafinlar-Mekinist combo for 18 months now, and my once regular cycle is totally off. When I bring it up with my oncologist, I’m told that it isn’t a known side effect, even though a correspondent of mine who takes same combo and is younger than me has had similar thing happen. (I’m almost 45, so in my case it could well be perimenopause.) You’re right to be concerned and I hope you find an answer!
                  wasserd
                  Participant
                    Julie in SoCal
                    Participant

HI Sarah,

Yes, this is a thing.  I only did the high dose interferon for a month and it put me into menopause.  Now I was 46 and kids were out of the question, so I wasn't concerned. And I didn't ask about getting my period back.

Glad you'll be talking with someone about this,

Shalom,

Julie

MC1R
                        Participant

I did a year interferon in 2014.  My once regular cycle turned erratic and my hormones were all messed up. My doctor said that it can accelerate you to menopause.  Since my completion of interferon, they are just very sporadic. I did have 1 side effect that my doctor had never seen.  My naturally curly hair thinned and went completely straight!  All of it, not just new growth. The curl has come back a bit over the last year but definitely not the same. 

MC1R
                          Participant

I did a year interferon in 2014.  My once regular cycle turned erratic and my hormones were all messed up. My doctor said that it can accelerate you to menopause.  Since my completion of interferon, they are just very sporadic. I did have 1 side effect that my doctor had never seen.  My naturally curly hair thinned and went completely straight!  All of it, not just new growth. The curl has come back a bit over the last year but definitely not the same. 

MC1R
                            Participant

Julie in SoCal
                            Participant

HI Sarah,

Yes, this is a thing.  I only did the high dose interferon for a month and it put me into menopause.  Now I was 46 and kids were out of the question, so I wasn't concerned. And I didn't ask about getting my period back.

Shalom,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                              Participant

HI Sarah,

Shalom,

Julie

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics