The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dysplastic Nevi, Severely Aypical, positive margins. Anxiety, unusual story.

Forums General Melanoma Community Dysplastic Nevi, Severely Aypical, positive margins. Anxiety, unusual story.

Participant
      This is kinda long but the context is important.

On may 9, wife forced me to get a skin check up. While there, two moles were of concern and punch biopsied. Was told it’d take up to 14 days for results. Fast forward a month, and I was told it was sent for special testing. 2 weeks later (on week 6 of no results), my wife said , “you should go for a second opinion”. So, i did. The new dermatologist, only biopsied one of the moles (my abdomen, couldn’t see anything but a scar on my back). I told this new dermatologist about my delay in results and what not, and they said they’d try to get the results.

5 days later, wednesday of last week. The new dermatologist calls me and says they got my results from the first derm, and my shave and they are sending my paper work to a cancer center, and to google the number. I ask if it’s cancer, and the person on the phone says, “i am a tech not your pa or dermatologist, but we are sending your results there”. I hang up in shock, google the number and it’s 3 hours across the state. I go through the motions of setting up a new patient , and scheduling an appointment. It hits me, i need to call the first derm to see what the hell is going on.

So, i call and they said they were just getting ready to call me for my wide local excision procedure. I asked to speak to the PA, and told them this new place sent my stuff to the cancer center. They seemed shocked and got my PA on the phone, who said that it was not necessary to go there yet, or even discuss that type of treatement. The PA said, that they aren’t calling it cancer by the results but treating it as if it is melanoma.

I was told, my initital results were sent to a local pathologist, then to a special stains pathologist, who then sent it to cornell university. I went in friday of last week for my big excision, they did 1cm margins so it’s a lot. While there, i asked again and they assured me they aren’t calling it cancer, but “when in doubt cut it out”. I have never actually seen a dermatologist through this whole process, the PA said that they discussed my case and decided a sentinel node biopsy was not needed , or anything like that.

I asked for my pathology report friday but was a mental mess ,and when they said “you want the one from may 10th” i said yes. So i got my initial appt report not the pathology report. The only thing i know is that the mole on stomach (the surgery scheduled for next week) came back as Compound Dysplastic Nevus with Severe Atypia, Positive Margins. The one on my back that they did last week, was the one the PA was most concerned about. Now, i have a punch on my stomach, a shave that is all fucked up looking and feel like either this new place didn’t want to deal with my situation, or someone is bullshitting me.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Dominic
        Participant
          I got the pathology report, it’s really confusing and offers no answers.

Skin, left mid back, punch biopsy: severely atypical dermal-epidermal melanocytic proliferation with severe dermal atypia expanding for a depth of .78mm. SUSPICIOUS OF, ALTHOUGH NOT DIAGNOSTIC FOR NEVOID MELANOMA, at a depth of .78mm, superficial Clark’s level iv equivalent. possibly arising in association in a dysplastic nevus extending to peripheral side margins.

Microscopic descriptions:

Initial histologic sections from specimen labeled “left mid back” reveal a punch biopsy of skin showing a compound melanocytic proliferation with attenuation of the epidermis, nested and lentiginous confluence of melanocytes along the dermal/epidermal junction. Nests of epithelioid melanocytes are noted in the underlying dermis showing expansion of the papillary dermis. Tumor infiltrating lymphocytes are absent. There is ABSENCE of MITOSES, however, increased N/C ratios are noted at deeper portions biopsy specimen.

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics