The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

DVT after WBR and Gamma Knife

Forums General Melanoma Community DVT after WBR and Gamma Knife

Participant

My husband and I just returned home from an ultrasound that diagnosed "extensive DVT through left lower extremity" and extends to the abdomen (iliac). The plan is to do sub-q injections 2x daily for 2 weeks to take care of it. The risk is that he had Gamma Knife done on three lesions in July (and WBR in February '18), so they assume that the risk of another brain bleed is not too big. (It is still a risk, however, so IF he goes forward with the injections of the anti-coagulant we will have to very watchful of any neurologic issues). 

The alternative is to use compression socks (and an ace bandage on the thigh) and take Tylenol / IB to manage pain. 

Has anyone else had a situation similar to this? Any thoughts on what I need to be asking or what I / we need to consider?

A bit of background – Stage 4, dx 8/17 becuase of a brain bleed/craniotomy; WBR 2/18; ipi/nivo; bladder tumor surgery 5/18; another brain bleed 7/18 (found DVT and inserted an IVC Filter); Gamma Knife 2 weeks later (7/18); brain swelling / edema caused aphasia 8/18 (could be brain radiation necrosis – no biopsy done to dx for sure) – now has some speech and cognition deficits. (He just turned 50). 

Thank you. Diane

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        WithinMySkin
        Participant

Hi Diane – oh my that doesn't sound like fun! I wear a thigh-high compression sleeve for my lymphedema, and it's really not bad – it's like a thick, tight panty hose. The hardest part is learning HOW to put it on because it's so tight, but once it's on, my leg feels great. I believe that compression stockings are more for prevention and treating the pain, but they don't actually treat the DVT that's there now…is this how the doc explained it? They can also place something called an IVC filter if the risk of the blood thinner is too great.

Prayers to you and your husband!

Lauren

dmarie
            Participant

Thank you for the reply. He ended up opting to not do the blood thinners because of the risk of (another) brain bleed. He does have an IVC filter in place (July 2018).

Now he seems to have developed another DVT in his right leg, and this has caused significant swelling in the whole right leg, more so than the left ever had. I don't know if we could get a compression stocking on that leg at all. Hmmm…

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics