The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Durable Complete Responses with Metastatic Melanoma Using T Cell Transfer Immunotherapy

Forums General Melanoma Community Durable Complete Responses with Metastatic Melanoma Using T Cell Transfer Immunotherapy

• Replies
      dawn dion
      Participant

Thanks for the update – this is looking more and more promising.

dawn dion
        Participant

Thanks for the update – this is looking more and more promising.

Cooper
          Participant

I wish these studies really meant something hopeful for us but they are studies that really cost a huge amount so can't be repeated without our tax dollars, only done on those who are very healthy otherwise and these results came out in March without much fanfare cause they were on such a small group of patients.  This is still based on the very old logic of taking folks near death and killing the cancer on the way..

tiberius7947
              Participant

I'm sorry but I find your statement that the treatment was only done on otherwise healthy people. Many of those people were stage 4. I'm sure there are many stage 3 and 4 on this forum that are otherwise healthy. All these studies cost large amounts of money, which big pharma hopes to get back if the treatment really does extend life. Here we have a treatment that has been shown not only to extend life, but also cure stage 4  melanoma. Your last sentence about taking people near death seems to contradict the sentence where you say treatment was done on otherwise healthy individuals.

Cooper
                Participant

You don't understand that NCI/NIH only takes certain people into their trials.  This trial has only been done on 93 people, it is a very small number to figuire any results from and the process of how this treatment is done nearly kills people.  As a matter of fact,  I had a friend who did this and when he didn't respond they didn't offer anything else to him and he died. He was just 34 and the dad of a newborn.  Just don't want people to read this and get false hope.  Be sure to read into these studies carefully and what they involve before you think they cure folks.

nickmac56
                  Participant

I have to agree with part of what you say  – this type of trial at NIH is what my wife was scheduled to do but the presence of brain mets excluded her. They should be more clear about what their research subjects charaterstics are so as to not raise false hopes. For those whose metastases are limited to the body though, this appoach, which is being replicated elsewhere like at the Cancer Care Alliance in Seattle, IS PROMSIING.

nickmac56
                    Participant

I have to agree with part of what you say  – this type of trial at NIH is what my wife was scheduled to do but the presence of brain mets excluded her. They should be more clear about what their research subjects charaterstics are so as to not raise false hopes. For those whose metastases are limited to the body though, this appoach, which is being replicated elsewhere like at the Cancer Care Alliance in Seattle, IS PROMSIING.

Cooper
                      Participant

You don't understand that NCI/NIH only takes certain people into their trials.  This trial has only been done on 93 people, it is a very small number to figuire any results from and the process of how this treatment is done nearly kills people.  As a matter of fact,  I had a friend who did this and when he didn't respond they didn't offer anything else to him and he died. He was just 34 and the dad of a newborn.  Just don't want people to read this and get false hope.  Be sure to read into these studies carefully and what they involve before you think they cure folks.

tiberius7947
                        Participant

I'm sorry but I find your statement that the treatment was only done on otherwise healthy people. Many of those people were stage 4. I'm sure there are many stage 3 and 4 on this forum that are otherwise healthy. All these studies cost large amounts of money, which big pharma hopes to get back if the treatment really does extend life. Here we have a treatment that has been shown not only to extend life, but also cure stage 4  melanoma. Your last sentence about taking people near death seems to contradict the sentence where you say treatment was done on otherwise healthy individuals.

Cooper
                        Participant

I wish these studies really meant something hopeful for us but they are studies that really cost a huge amount so can't be repeated without our tax dollars, only done on those who are very healthy otherwise and these results came out in March without much fanfare cause they were on such a small group of patients.  This is still based on the very old logic of taking folks near death and killing the cancer on the way..

rbruce
                          Participant

Gene, I noticed on your profile that you started IPI in March.  How did that go for you, results, toxicity, etc?  I have been looking into TIL Therapy at NIH for a while, but they need at least a 2cm tumor they can easily get to.  My primary was on my back, removed, but it metastasized to my lung, a rib and 1 lymph node since my last pet scan.  I have "numerous tiny tumors in my lungs, the largest being about 1.1cm.  I haven't started treatment of any kind since my diagnosis in late March and am spending my days researching treatments and trials.  Although I believe that TIL Therapy is the eventual answer, I need to decide on a treatment right now.  I am not BRAF+, but actually NRAS so a lot of the fancy new inhibitors don't work for me.  It's really tood bad that TIL is so labor and cost intensive as it is done one patient at a time while the big pharmas want to create a pill that can be duplicated quickly at enormous profits.  The latest hospital, St Lukes in Wisconsin, started a TIL therapy program via a $5 million dollar gift.  Look forwrd to hearing from you.  Robert

rbruce
                            Participant

Gene, I noticed on your profile that you started IPI in March.  How did that go for you, results, toxicity, etc?  I have been looking into TIL Therapy at NIH for a while, but they need at least a 2cm tumor they can easily get to.  My primary was on my back, removed, but it metastasized to my lung, a rib and 1 lymph node since my last pet scan.  I have "numerous tiny tumors in my lungs, the largest being about 1.1cm.  I haven't started treatment of any kind since my diagnosis in late March and am spending my days researching treatments and trials.  Although I believe that TIL Therapy is the eventual answer, I need to decide on a treatment right now.  I am not BRAF+, but actually NRAS so a lot of the fancy new inhibitors don't work for me.  It's really tood bad that TIL is so labor and cost intensive as it is done one patient at a time while the big pharmas want to create a pill that can be duplicated quickly at enormous profits.  The latest hospital, St Lukes in Wisconsin, started a TIL therapy program via a $5 million dollar gift.  Look forwrd to hearing from you.  Robert

Terra
                                Participant

Derek and I have a prescreening appoint at NCI in Washington next Tuesday for the TIL treatment.  We are deciding between the TIL and IPI, our main concern is the time it will take to get Derek into a bed and get treatment.  Of course, he can have ipi next week (done wash out period), but we will also go through the scrfeening process for TIL and get a timeline and then decide.  If he is HLA positive I think it takes about 3 weeks to grow cells and if not it takes about 4-6 weeks to grow cells.  

So we go next Tuesday to meet with them and then his case is presented the following Monday and the decision whether or not he is eligible.  

Our onc was down there two weeks ago and feels it is a very good option with promising results.  He is favours it for Derek slightly more than ipi dependingon timeline.

Terra 

Terra
                                  Participant

Derek and I have a prescreening appoint at NCI in Washington next Tuesday for the TIL treatment.  We are deciding between the TIL and IPI, our main concern is the time it will take to get Derek into a bed and get treatment.  Of course, he can have ipi next week (done wash out period), but we will also go through the scrfeening process for TIL and get a timeline and then decide.  If he is HLA positive I think it takes about 3 weeks to grow cells and if not it takes about 4-6 weeks to grow cells.  

So we go next Tuesday to meet with them and then his case is presented the following Monday and the decision whether or not he is eligible.  

Our onc was down there two weeks ago and feels it is a very good option with promising results.  He is favours it for Derek slightly more than ipi dependingon timeline.

Terra 

Gene_S
                                    Participant

Hello Robert,

Yes I did do Ipi (Yervoy) starting in March for 4 treatments. I was on the trial arm that also included GM-CSF which is a shot that you give yourself for 14 days out of 21. I began to show results after the second treatment. My tumors on the back of my scalp that are visible shrank dramatically. As far as the side effects, I had a rash on my chest and back and the usual Ipi itch. Side effects from the shots were swelling and some burning sensation as well as itching.

I have completed my 12 weeks and Friday I go for my scans. I hope that my lungs and liver mets also decreased as well as the one on my scalp near my spine.

Here is a site that may be of interest to you:  http://www.collabrx.com

I hope I was able to answer some of your questions.

Best Wishes,

Gene

rbruce
                                      Participant

Thanks Gene for your comments.  I'm so glad you got through the treatment so well!  I pray for your continued healing and know that God has a strong hold on you. 

Waiting and deciding on a treatment has been rough.  I visited with Dr. O'Day at The Angeles Clinic so got the scoop on IPI first hand and and have decided on using it as a second line treatment.  I am approved for a trial at UCSF that I'm supposed to start tomorrow of Axitinib, Carbo and Paxol which I am putting on the back burner until I see Calif Pacific Medical Center in SF tomorrow to discuss their Biochemotherapy program.  Initially I had dismissed BCT, but because of how I presented, my ldh level and where my mets are, I seem to be a good candidate for the treatment.  Here's a link to their website if you want to check it out: http://www.cpmc.org/services/cancer/melanoma/treatment/

Anyways, the sun is out and shining today and I feel good.  My kids are coming up for the holiday weekend and I'll be in a treatment soon kicking this disease's butt.  Life is good!  Take care and have a great day.  Robert  p.s. have you been to http://www.strongholdministry.org?  Started by a stage IV melanoma survivor whose story is a miracle.  I communicate regulary with Joe now and it has been a real blessing.  Check it out if you haven't already. 

Suzan AB
                                        Participant
                                          Hi Robert,
                                          Sounds like you and I are mulling over the same thing, which treatment do I begin with first?…I finally decided to start a trial out of UCD with IL-2. I requested a referral from Dr. Daud to Dr. Potter @ Enloe in Chico. My first appt. is with him is 6/8. I decided to be closer to home for my treatments and one of my daughters lives in Chico…Bonus!

I don’t know if I will get into the trial that I want, but I will do IL-2 first. Dr. Potter is also associated with UCSF just in case I have to change treatment plans. Now that I have finally made up my mind, I hope it is not too late, I get short-of-breath quiclky and tire easy…Once those buggers begin to multiply…Anyways, make your decision sooner than later.

My best to you and yours with many blessings of light and love,
                                          Suzan AB
                                          Stage IV lung mets

rbruce
                                          Participant

Suzan, we really are in the same place.  I had been seeing Dr. Daud at UCSF but his suggestion was the carbo/paclataxol + axitinib and there is NO case for complete response.  I have another brain MRI and cardio stress test this week and if all is ok I start Biochemotherapy at California Pacific Medical Center with Dr. Wang and Dr. Minor on June 6th.   What I found is that for biochemo, the facility and amount of, and the order in which they give you the drugs. is critical. The way your melanoma presents and a normal ldh are also considered when offered the regimen. It includes 3 chemo drugs + IL-2 and Interferon.  1 week in hospital, then 3 weeks out X 4 sessions, then IPI for maintenance.  After 2 months of searching and considering, I am at peace with my decision and look forward to it. 

What trial are you trying to get into?  You may not even need it after IL-2 as there are a good number of complete responders to IL-2, it is still the only verified treatment so far that has shown complete responses.  Another good thing about IL-2 is that it doesn't disqualify you from most trials. 

You said UCD, are you in Sacramento?  We live in El Dorado Hills and will have to trek to SF every week for 4 months (4 weeks of treatments and then weekly checkups in between). 

I hope you feel better.  Have you discussed the shortness of breath with your Doctor?  I'm going to see a physical therapist to help me develop an exercise regimen.  I found one that works a lot with cancer patients.  I'm told that keeping active and getting at least 30 minutes of exercise 4 days a week helps prepare for chemo/il-2 and then after treatment to feel better sooner. 

Keeping you in my prayers.

Robert

rbruce
                                            Participant

Suzan, we really are in the same place.  I had been seeing Dr. Daud at UCSF but his suggestion was the carbo/paclataxol + axitinib and there is NO case for complete response.  I have another brain MRI and cardio stress test this week and if all is ok I start Biochemotherapy at California Pacific Medical Center with Dr. Wang and Dr. Minor on June 6th.   What I found is that for biochemo, the facility and amount of, and the order in which they give you the drugs. is critical. The way your melanoma presents and a normal ldh are also considered when offered the regimen. It includes 3 chemo drugs + IL-2 and Interferon.  1 week in hospital, then 3 weeks out X 4 sessions, then IPI for maintenance.  After 2 months of searching and considering, I am at peace with my decision and look forward to it. 

What trial are you trying to get into?  You may not even need it after IL-2 as there are a good number of complete responders to IL-2, it is still the only verified treatment so far that has shown complete responses.  Another good thing about IL-2 is that it doesn't disqualify you from most trials. 

You said UCD, are you in Sacramento?  We live in El Dorado Hills and will have to trek to SF every week for 4 months (4 weeks of treatments and then weekly checkups in between). 

I hope you feel better.  Have you discussed the shortness of breath with your Doctor?  I'm going to see a physical therapist to help me develop an exercise regimen.  I found one that works a lot with cancer patients.  I'm told that keeping active and getting at least 30 minutes of exercise 4 days a week helps prepare for chemo/il-2 and then after treatment to feel better sooner. 

Keeping you in my prayers.

Robert

Suzan AB
                                              Participant
                                                Hi Robert,
                                                Sounds like you and I are mulling over the same thing, which treatment do I begin with first?…I finally decided to start a trial out of UCD with IL-2. I requested a referral from Dr. Daud to Dr. Potter @ Enloe in Chico. My first appt. is with him is 6/8. I decided to be closer to home for my treatments and one of my daughters lives in Chico…Bonus!

I don’t know if I will get into the trial that I want, but I will do IL-2 first. Dr. Potter is also associated with UCSF just in case I have to change treatment plans. Now that I have finally made up my mind, I hope it is not too late, I get short-of-breath quiclky and tire easy…Once those buggers begin to multiply…Anyways, make your decision sooner than later.

My best to you and yours with many blessings of light and love,
                                                Suzan AB
                                                Stage IV lung mets

rbruce
                                                Participant

Thanks Gene for your comments.  I'm so glad you got through the treatment so well!  I pray for your continued healing and know that God has a strong hold on you. 

Waiting and deciding on a treatment has been rough.  I visited with Dr. O'Day at The Angeles Clinic so got the scoop on IPI first hand and and have decided on using it as a second line treatment.  I am approved for a trial at UCSF that I'm supposed to start tomorrow of Axitinib, Carbo and Paxol which I am putting on the back burner until I see Calif Pacific Medical Center in SF tomorrow to discuss their Biochemotherapy program.  Initially I had dismissed BCT, but because of how I presented, my ldh level and where my mets are, I seem to be a good candidate for the treatment.  Here's a link to their website if you want to check it out: http://www.cpmc.org/services/cancer/melanoma/treatment/

Anyways, the sun is out and shining today and I feel good.  My kids are coming up for the holiday weekend and I'll be in a treatment soon kicking this disease's butt.  Life is good!  Take care and have a great day.  Robert  p.s. have you been to http://www.strongholdministry.org?  Started by a stage IV melanoma survivor whose story is a miracle.  I communicate regulary with Joe now and it has been a real blessing.  Check it out if you haven't already. 

Gene_S
                                                  Participant

Hello Robert,

Yes I did do Ipi (Yervoy) starting in March for 4 treatments. I was on the trial arm that also included GM-CSF which is a shot that you give yourself for 14 days out of 21. I began to show results after the second treatment. My tumors on the back of my scalp that are visible shrank dramatically. As far as the side effects, I had a rash on my chest and back and the usual Ipi itch. Side effects from the shots were swelling and some burning sensation as well as itching.

I have completed my 12 weeks and Friday I go for my scans. I hope that my lungs and liver mets also decreased as well as the one on my scalp near my spine.

Here is a site that may be of interest to you:  http://www.collabrx.com

I hope I was able to answer some of your questions.

Best Wishes,

Gene

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics