The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Duke consult on Monday with Dr. Tyler

Forums General Melanoma Community Duke consult on Monday with Dr. Tyler

Participant

Les and I are heading to Duke on Monday morning for a consult with Dr. Tyler.  I know that we are going to discuss the clinical trial "Feasibility and Safety of Minimally Invasive Inguinal Lymph Node Dissection in Patients with Melanoma".  Based on conversations with our local surgical oncologist, the "normal" surgery sounds pretty involved for an outpatient surgery.  Moving a muscle, or at least part of a muscle, to cover exposed major blood vessels sounds a little bit on the "involved" side to us.  Les wants to do whatever it takes to make sure that this cancer is out of her body, though. 

We are also going to ask about the E1609 trial as well, though I will admit that I don't like the statistics I'm seeing on the Interferon success rates.  Interferon was the only treatment offered locally.

Any advice on what questions to ask would be greatly appreciated.

David

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        hbecker
        Participant

David,

Two questions – first, have Leslie ask the doctor what assurance there is that doing the surgery will make sure the cancer is out of her body. I'm pretty sure I know the answer – there is no assurance. So, whether to have the surgery boils down to a risk/benefit analysis, in my opinion.

Second, find out how much this procedure has been tested, not so much for effectiveness as for side effects and what can/does go wrong.

Best of luck – please let us know the answers and what you decide.

~Hazel

Leslie’sHusband
            Participant

Thank you, Hazel.

I'll post back after the consult tomorrow.

Leslie’sHusband
              Participant

Thank you, Hazel.

Leslie’sHusband
                Participant

Thank you, Hazel.

hbecker
                Participant

David,

Two questions – first, have Leslie ask the doctor what assurance there is that doing the surgery will make sure the cancer is out of her body. I'm pretty sure I know the answer – there is no assurance. So, whether to have the surgery boils down to a risk/benefit analysis, in my opinion.

Second, find out how much this procedure has been tested, not so much for effectiveness as for side effects and what can/does go wrong.

~Hazel

hbecker
                  Participant

David,

~Hazel

BrianP
                    Participant

David,

I don't really have any suggestions for questions but I will tell you that Dr. Tyler is a fantastic surgeon.  I think you are in great hands with him.  He may seem a little stiff and dry but after you get to know him you will occasionally see him crack a smile.  He is really highly regarded in the melanoma surgical oncology community.

Brian

BrianP
                      Participant

David,

I don't really have any suggestions for questions but I will tell you that Dr. Tyler is a fantastic surgeon.  I think you are in great hands with him.  He may seem a little stiff and dry but after you get to know him you will occasionally see him crack a smile.  He is really highly regarded in the melanoma surgical oncology community.

Brian

BrianP
                        Participant

David,

Brian

Momrn5
                          Participant

After much research I decided to have an inguinal node dissection.  I was lucky in that they were able to easily access my nodes without having to move muscle, etc. so that made recovery time that much easier. It was still no walk in the park.  The thing is, there is a study out there now that says for the 20% that have spread to additional nodes! this surgery is a life extender or curative. So, I wasn't ready to take my chances by not doing it.  Best wishes in your decision. Not an easy road for sure.

Leslie’sHusband
                              Participant

Momrn5,

She is definitely having the inguinal node dissection, the only question right now is who will be doing it.  We both like the local surgical oncologist, but we wanted to look into the minimal invasive surgery at Duke, also.  We should know more by this time tomorrow.

Thank you,

Dave

Leslie’sHusband
                                Participant

Momrn5,

She is definitely having the inguinal node dissection, the only question right now is who will be doing it.  We both like the local surgical oncologist, but we wanted to look into the minimal invasive surgery at Duke, also.  We should know more by this time tomorrow.

Thank you,

Dave

Leslie’sHusband
                                  Participant

Momrn5,

Thank you,

Dave

Momrn5
                                  Participant

After much research I decided to have an inguinal node dissection.  I was lucky in that they were able to easily access my nodes without having to move muscle, etc. so that made recovery time that much easier. It was still no walk in the park.  The thing is, there is a study out there now that says for the 20% that have spread to additional nodes! this surgery is a life extender or curative. So, I wasn't ready to take my chances by not doing it.  Best wishes in your decision. Not an easy road for sure.

Momrn5
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics