The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dry Heaves?

Forums General Melanoma Community Dry Heaves?

Participant

Has anyone experiened dry heaves? If so, what did you do to stop them?  (Please note that we spent the day at the Cancer Center yesterday meeting with his team for this issue, urinary issues, and getting IV fluids for dehydration). 

Husband started getting them occassionally after #2 ipi/nivo combo infusion. It was only a couple of times over the 3 week span. This was, unfortunately, when a nasty cold was making rounds through the family, and he got hit big time – so lots of coughing and feeling yucky (on top of ipi/nivo!). Then, after infusion #3 as cold symptoms were disapating, the dry heaves became a bit more frequent, triggered by either sips of water, sitting at the dinner table, after taking a bite of food, or brushing his teeth. Always preceded by a small cough (tickle in his throat). Often, he could avoid it if he had eaten something or had a smoothie. Now, after last infusion the dry heaves are happening a lot more frequently. Last night he had 3 bouts one after the other from 1 am to 2 am. A smoothie seemed to calm whatever triggered this. 

This is really putting him through the ringer. Does anyone have any experience with this and what can be done to stop it? Docs have no answers. 

(History – dx Stage IV Aug '17 – brain, lungs, liver, bones, lymph / craniotomy 8/'17 for largest lesion / Taf/Mek mixed response, stopped after 5 months / WBR Feb '18, ipi/nivo started 2/28/18, finished 5/2/18)

Thank you in advance for any insight, thoughts, or suggestions.

Diane

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Hukill
        Participant

I had 5 combos but never experience any digestive issues. I really tried to drink plenty of fluids and would eat a PB&J sandwich everyday plus bananas to help stay "thick". I did lose my appetite and lost 28 pounds in the first 5 weeks. With everything he is experiencing I would think his immune system is reacting to the combo.

dmarie
            Participant

Thank you for the reply. We just got back from oncologist, and apparently all tumors have increased, including those in the lungs. This could be the cause. (Although the esophagus looks clear, but could still aggrivate the vagus nerve, causing dry heaves). 

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics