The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Drain tubes

Forums General Melanoma Community Drain tubes

Participant
      Tomorrow will 7 weeks since surgery. Still sound 200 ML per day. Yesterday, the stitch holding one of the tubes pulled out, and the tube came out enough to lose vacuum in reservoir. I will be calling doctor in the morning, but just want to hear from others that this has happened to. Right now, I’m taped and strapped up.

Tomorrow will 7 weeks since surgery. Still sound 200 ML per day. Yesterday, the stitch holding one of the tubes pulled out, and the tube came out enough to lose vacuum in reservoir. I will be calling doctor in the morning, but just want to hear from others that this has happened to. Right now, I’m taped and strapped up.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tina D
        Participant

My plastic surgeon pulled my drainage tubes before they got down to the low limit because he was certain that by that point they were draining lymph fluid… which it would probably do forever. I dont know if they can test it to see if that is what is going on, but 7 weeks seems a very long time for a post-op drain.

Tina 

Tina D
          Participant

My plastic surgeon pulled my drainage tubes before they got down to the low limit because he was certain that by that point they were draining lymph fluid… which it would probably do forever. I dont know if they can test it to see if that is what is going on, but 7 weeks seems a very long time for a post-op drain.

Tina 

Tina D
            Participant

Tina 

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

I'm kind of suprised that I didn't have the stich pull loose, all the  un-authorized things I did with my drain.  I particularly remember the drain geeting bent and the stitch pulling on a nerve!  NOT a nice feeling!

Is there any sign of infection? What does the fluid look like? Is it the bloody looking discharge or is it fairly clear?  Mine got more clear when I finally got the flow rate down and the blockages stopped.

You are in our prayers.

Wishing you the best.  Let us know what the doctor says/does.

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

I'm kind of suprised that I didn't have the stich pull loose, all the  un-authorized things I did with my drain.  I particularly remember the drain geeting bent and the stitch pulling on a nerve!  NOT a nice feeling!

Is there any sign of infection? What does the fluid look like? Is it the bloody looking discharge or is it fairly clear?  Mine got more clear when I finally got the flow rate down and the blockages stopped.

You are in our prayers.

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

You are in our prayers.

Wolverine
                    Participant

The exact think happened to me.  As the tube comes out of the wound, it loses suction.  Your tube is probably just inches away from coming out.

Wolverine
                      Participant

The exact think happened to me.  As the tube comes out of the wound, it loses suction.  Your tube is probably just inches away from coming out.

Wolverine
                        Participant

washoegal
                          Participant

My drains were in for about that long, never did get down to a reasonable amount of drainage.  Onc pulled the tubes for fear of my getting an infection.  Hang in ther I'll be they are coming out soon!

mary

stage 3

washoegal
                            Participant

My drains were in for about that long, never did get down to a reasonable amount of drainage.  Onc pulled the tubes for fear of my getting an infection.  Hang in ther I'll be they are coming out soon!

mary

stage 3

washoegal
                              Participant

mary

stage 3

mama1960
                                Participant

So I called the surgeons office who supposed to remove tubes at 9:00. Received a reply at 2:00. He can see me a week from Wednesday….if the tubes come out or see infection, go to emergency room. Called oncologist around noon, still have not heard from him…

mama1960
                                  Participant

So I called the surgeons office who supposed to remove tubes at 9:00. Received a reply at 2:00. He can see me a week from Wednesday….if the tubes come out or see infection, go to emergency room. Called oncologist around noon, still have not heard from him…

mama1960
                                      Participant

Finally heard from oncologist. Said to go straight to ER to have tubes removed. Waited FOUR HOURS! When I went to check on how much longer they said maybe two more. Went home and husband removed tubes. Everything clean and bandaged. Will keep a close eye on things, but I feel 100% better!

mama1960
                                        Participant

Finally heard from oncologist. Said to go straight to ER to have tubes removed. Waited FOUR HOURS! When I went to check on how much longer they said maybe two more. Went home and husband removed tubes. Everything clean and bandaged. Will keep a close eye on things, but I feel 100% better!

Tina D
                                          Participant

Well, I am glad they are out!!! Pretty sure I could never offer enough incentives for my hubby to pull a drainage tube, HAHAHA! He's a great help and tremendous sport, but NO WAY he would have done that one smiley. Glad yours did!

Watch closely for infection signs esp in the coming several days ( NOT because of your hubby, but just because of the invasive nature of the tubes and the length of time they were in.)

It is such a GREAT feeling to have those things out — I remember it well!

Tina

Tina D
                                            Participant

Well, I am glad they are out!!! Pretty sure I could never offer enough incentives for my hubby to pull a drainage tube, HAHAHA! He's a great help and tremendous sport, but NO WAY he would have done that one smiley. Glad yours did!

Watch closely for infection signs esp in the coming several days ( NOT because of your hubby, but just because of the invasive nature of the tubes and the length of time they were in.)

Tina

Tina D
                                              Participant

Tina

mama1960
                                                Participant

mama1960
                                                Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics