The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dr Ellis dermatologist in Nashville TN

Forums General Melanoma Community Dr Ellis dermatologist in Nashville TN

Participant
      Hey friends,
      I have an app to see a Dermatologist Dr Ellis in Nashville soon. Just wondering if any of you have ever been to him and have any tips as to what I should bring or questions to ask while there. I have had 3 melanoma primaries first in 2006 stage 3 with positive sentinel node did interferon, second was July 2010 stage 1 Clark 2, and third melanoma primary surgery this Jan 2011 stage 2 Clarks level 4. I see a dr at Vandy who is referring me to dr Ellis cause he says I have a genetic mutation and all melanomas occurred after pregnancy thinking the decreased immune system plays a big part in these new primaries. Im still seeing my local derm In ky but my dr at Vandy feels it’s important to see this derm cause he sees a lot more melanomas and possibly may have a clinical trial or better advice. It’s just a bit far 5 hr drive and I just wonder if u all think it’s beneficial or would I be just fine seeing my local derm. I want the best care and to be ahead of the game if something does pop up. Have any of you ever been to him and what did u think?
      I just turned 29 and was diagnosed with my first Mel after just turning 24 I feel like I have a black cloud over me but Im still trying to live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment with my babies n family. I know a lot of you are dealing with way more scarrier situations than me and I continue to pray for u all as I read the devastation on this board. Thanks for taking the time to listen and be there for me. You all are truly great:-)

Thanks so much for your time,
      Alicia

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        SharonK
        Participant

Hi Alicia,

I have no advice on the doctor because I am from Mass. I too have had multiple primaries. You can read my profile for that story. I can understand the black cloud. It is scary. I would see the guy and see if he has anything else to offer you and maybe as a back up plan. If he did and  was not going to differ much from you regular derm I would probably stick with my regular derm.

As long as you trust your derm and he watches you very closely I don't think I would add to my stress level of traveling that far on a regular basis. Your derm seems pretty good to even recommend it.

It is ok to be afraid. Once you get some well checks under your belt and have some distance it does make it easier and the fear eventually subsides a bit. It never totally goes away. I was once like you, I had 2 small babies and was terrified. I kept getting primaries but we kept catching them early and I am still here after 8 primaries and 10 years of ups and downs. Melanoma is no longer the first thing I think about every morning and the last thing at night. I have found a peace about it. I still get worked up and have insomnia for a week before every skin check and while waiting on biopsy resuts etc.. Overall though I am living a good life and melanoma is now on the back burner. Give yourself time it really does make a difference after some has passed.

Best Wishes

Sharon

alicia
            Participant
              Sharon, thanks so much for your reply:) I read your profile and you have had so many melanoma primaries have they all been stage 2 or less? I have read an article recently that said people who have multiple primaries tend to have better prognosis as far as survival for some reason. Have you heard that before? My oncologist thinks it’s odd that I’ve had multiple primaries that were intermediate thickness and stage. Most people I’ve read about with multiple primaries have more earlier stage melanomas. I was shocked that the most recent melanoma I had removed was stage 2 cause it popped up almost over night and I’m seen every 3 mo by a derm. My derm said it was pretty aggressive to grow that deep in such a short time. Thankfully it wasn’t in my nodes this time:) were your melanomas pigmented? All of mine are amelanotic and I don’t have any moles just freckles, I saw where u said your melanomas aren’t typical either. Again thanks so much for posting and it’s so comforting to see you doing well after having melanoma that many times:)
              SharonK
              Participant

Hi Alicia,

Yes, All of my melanomas have been stage 2 or less. I am officially 2b becuase 1 was ulcerated. My onc and Derm both find it odd and fascinating that I make thick melanomas and I have never had a positive node. I had alot of moles. Not too many left because of so many biopsys. My case is similar because I have had some in exisiting moles and some that seem to just pop up and have been amelanotic also. My derm also said he has had other patients with mutiple primaries but not usually thick ones either. I guess we are special 🙂

I know I have a mutation because of the study my derm performed on my family. I believe he is going to write a paper or something on it. He told me off the record they did find the cancer causing gene, It is not a known melanoma gene but rather another gene they know causes other types of cancer but until now,they were not able to connect it to melanoma.  Pretty exciting stuff for a genetics guy. I know he is pleased about it.

Unfortunately, at this time there is no way to prevent us from getting melanomas but to just be watched very closely. I, like you go every 3 months and if anything is supicious it comes off.

Another thing my derm and I talked about was pregnancy because I wanted another baby and he was against it. My melanoma was crazy for a few years after kids and eventually it slowed down to 1 or 2 a year . My last one was 2 years ago.  Even though there are studies that say it has no effect he did not think it wise. It seemed every time we thought about it I would get another one. My husband and I opted to be satisfied with the 2 we had. It was a hard decision but for me personally, I felt I had a responsibility to be here for the babies I already had.

I really hope yours slow down too. I hope you get some peace. The surgeries never bothered me, it was way more the mental side of it. Good Luck.

Sharon

SharonK
                Participant

Hi Alicia,

Yes, All of my melanomas have been stage 2 or less. I am officially 2b becuase 1 was ulcerated. My onc and Derm both find it odd and fascinating that I make thick melanomas and I have never had a positive node. I had alot of moles. Not too many left because of so many biopsys. My case is similar because I have had some in exisiting moles and some that seem to just pop up and have been amelanotic also. My derm also said he has had other patients with mutiple primaries but not usually thick ones either. I guess we are special 🙂

I know I have a mutation because of the study my derm performed on my family. I believe he is going to write a paper or something on it. He told me off the record they did find the cancer causing gene, It is not a known melanoma gene but rather another gene they know causes other types of cancer but until now,they were not able to connect it to melanoma.  Pretty exciting stuff for a genetics guy. I know he is pleased about it.

Unfortunately, at this time there is no way to prevent us from getting melanomas but to just be watched very closely. I, like you go every 3 months and if anything is supicious it comes off.

Another thing my derm and I talked about was pregnancy because I wanted another baby and he was against it. My melanoma was crazy for a few years after kids and eventually it slowed down to 1 or 2 a year . My last one was 2 years ago.  Even though there are studies that say it has no effect he did not think it wise. It seemed every time we thought about it I would get another one. My husband and I opted to be satisfied with the 2 we had. It was a hard decision but for me personally, I felt I had a responsibility to be here for the babies I already had.

I really hope yours slow down too. I hope you get some peace. The surgeries never bothered me, it was way more the mental side of it. Good Luck.

Sharon

alicia
                  Participant
                    Sharon, thanks so much for your reply:) I read your profile and you have had so many melanoma primaries have they all been stage 2 or less? I have read an article recently that said people who have multiple primaries tend to have better prognosis as far as survival for some reason. Have you heard that before? My oncologist thinks it’s odd that I’ve had multiple primaries that were intermediate thickness and stage. Most people I’ve read about with multiple primaries have more earlier stage melanomas. I was shocked that the most recent melanoma I had removed was stage 2 cause it popped up almost over night and I’m seen every 3 mo by a derm. My derm said it was pretty aggressive to grow that deep in such a short time. Thankfully it wasn’t in my nodes this time:) were your melanomas pigmented? All of mine are amelanotic and I don’t have any moles just freckles, I saw where u said your melanomas aren’t typical either. Again thanks so much for posting and it’s so comforting to see you doing well after having melanoma that many times:)
                  SharonK
                  Participant

Hi Alicia,

I have no advice on the doctor because I am from Mass. I too have had multiple primaries. You can read my profile for that story. I can understand the black cloud. It is scary. I would see the guy and see if he has anything else to offer you and maybe as a back up plan. If he did and  was not going to differ much from you regular derm I would probably stick with my regular derm.

As long as you trust your derm and he watches you very closely I don't think I would add to my stress level of traveling that far on a regular basis. Your derm seems pretty good to even recommend it.

It is ok to be afraid. Once you get some well checks under your belt and have some distance it does make it easier and the fear eventually subsides a bit. It never totally goes away. I was once like you, I had 2 small babies and was terrified. I kept getting primaries but we kept catching them early and I am still here after 8 primaries and 10 years of ups and downs. Melanoma is no longer the first thing I think about every morning and the last thing at night. I have found a peace about it. I still get worked up and have insomnia for a week before every skin check and while waiting on biopsy resuts etc.. Overall though I am living a good life and melanoma is now on the back burner. Give yourself time it really does make a difference after some has passed.

Best Wishes

Sharon

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics