The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dr. Allison of MD Anderson article.

Forums General Melanoma Community Dr. Allison of MD Anderson article.

• Replies
      jennifer83
      Participant
        Thanks for this post, Ed! I’m being treated at MD Anderson and it was great to get an insight on an amazing doctor there. I really thought I was going to die – that this melanoma was going to take me out… after four ipi/nivo infusions, I don’t feel that way any more. Scans on 2/15 and am excited as can be. Fingers crossed.
        Johnjk04
        Participant
          Great article about Dr. James Allison. Thank you very much Ed. In 2012, I had melanoma in my brain, both lungs, liver, kidney, gall bladder, left adrenal gland and spinal cord.
          I received two brain surgeries plus Gamma Knife followed up with the very first clinical trial of Yervoy and Opdivo. Six and a half years later, all is well, still no cancer.
          Jennifer, best wishes to you, everything is going to be all right.
          Bubbles
          Participant
            Thanks for sharing, Ed!!! OMG!!!!:

From the article – per Allison ~ “The big pharmaceutical companies are now all players. Many, many early biotech firms are also trying to gain a presence. What you see, though, is that a lot of companies with patents on older, more conventional drugs are experimenting by combining them with checkpoints, just because they have the drugs. This is being done, in my opinion, without a lot of thought. A lot of them fail, but that information is usually lost because there’s no requirement for reporting. That’s still important information. So many combinations that are being tried are duplicative. It’s just a mess.”

Interviewer ~ “Are these trials being done on actual cancer patients?”

Allison ~ “Oh, yeah. They’re wasting patients. By that, I don’t just mean a large number of patients are not getting the treatments most likely to provide them benefit. Because we have a limited pool of patients, the most promising trials are not accruing sufficient patients fast enough to get these drugs to the clinic as quickly as we can.”

Interviewer ~ “Is that ethical?”

Allison ~ “I think it’s unethical. I think there shouldn’t be any trial where you don’t learn something.”

THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is what I’ve been YELLING!!!!! Maybe folks will listen to HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way to go Jennifer and John! Ratties Rock! – les

BrianP
            Participant
              That’s a very well done article. I’ve still haven’t watched the Documentary on him. One of these days I will. Thanks for the post.

Brian

Rocco
              Participant
                This is my hero, my rock star. Simply put, thank you Dr. James Allison for your dedicated research – it saved my life.
                Stage IV in Aug 2005, cancer free since Jan 2009 thanks to the 5 doses of Ipi I received in the MDX-010 trial only after having exhausted all then standard care options.
                There are no words…..
            Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics