The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Does melanoma metastasize first to lymph nodes distant from original site?

Forums General Melanoma Community Does melanoma metastasize first to lymph nodes distant from original site?

Participant

Since it is 2-1/2 weeks before my next appt with my onc, so I am wondering…. So last night, in the process of trying to reassure my son that the swollen lymph nodes in his neck are NOT cancer, and reminded him that his doctor told us Friday that the more worrisome ones are supraclavicular and he doesn't have any of those, at which point I was demonstrating where the clavicles actually are…  I happened to feel a fairly large swollen node below and sort of attached to my left clavicle!  Sheesh.  Anyway, I love this board and thought I would take advantage of the combined wisdom of all of you and ask if a melanoma can or does actually metastasize to a distant node?  My original melanoma was vulvar, stage 1-2, 4 years ago.  Vulvar is quite some distance from clavicular, so I would think a metastasis would tend to be closer.  But who knows.  My last PET-CT was last summer and normal.  Anyway, just wondering if it is even possible.  If any of you have any experience or insight with this, would appreciate.

Cheri

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Lymph nodes are tricky and this could very well be something else causing it to be enlarged. But, to answer your question, yes melanoma can travel to distant lymph nodes. It is much more common for it to go to closer lymph nodes first and then travel to distant ones. My melanoma was on my left calf, it went to lymph nodes in my left groin first, then it traveled all the way up to my left armpit. I am grateful for it staying in the lymph system and skipping over a bunch of organs it could have gone into, but it was also a little scary knowing it got that far within a year of diagnosis. Hopefully this swollen node you have is just from some other benign infection you have going on that your body is fighting off right now. 

liberty04281
          Participant
            Melanoma does not play with the rules.
            Anything is possible.
            liberty04281
            Participant
              Some people on the board trying to be nice and give you courage. Maybe it is not melanoma, but from my experience every enlarged lymp node had melanoma cells on it. We have to face the reality.
              Good Luck!
              cancersnewnormal
              Participant

I've had swollen lymph nodes for a variety of reasons in my life… none having to do with my diagnosed cancer. That said… melanoma is a tricky player, and can spread anywhere. Mine skipped right on by the lymph system, and went straight for the lungs and brain. It is wise to take precautionary measures and get yourself checked, particularly if it persists. 

adrianc
                Participant

Only biopsy can confirm or rule out melanoma. Melanoma is self opinionated cancer that doesn't follow any rules.It can pop up at any time, anywhere  and it can go from the top of your head to your little toe,this is the reality of it.Best wishes

CHD
                  Participant

The node is hard to feel at first, just a slight bump, but if you hit it in just the right way, which I must have done the other night, comes up and can easily be moved to the top of the clavicle.  It's probably 1/2 inch, firm but doesn't hurt at all.  Maybe that's a good sign?  It's kind of close to the lung, which is one of the places my oncologist told me vulvar melanoma is most likely to spread to.  I suppose if it's not malignant, it might just shrink.

Thank you for all the thoughtful replies.  I don't want to mention it to anyone I know and cause them needless worry.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics