The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Does melanoma keep changing?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Does melanoma keep changing?

Participant

I have several (ok, more like a dozen) moles that my primary care doctor pointed out, saying they should be removed. I know they have been there for at least 5-10 years and they haven't changed. (I'm 32). 

Should I really have ALL of these removed? Would melanoma be continuously changing over time, or does it reach a point where it IS cancer, but it stops changing?

Would you remove them all? 

thank you!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Oldwife
        Participant

Our primary doc was the one who immediately sent my husband to the surgeon, and good thing he did!  Ask for a referral to a dermatologist asap, and if he/she concurrs, by all means get those moles off.  You want a dermatologist who works with melanoma especially, if you can find one. Please don't mess around or wait with this if your primary doctor thinks they are suspicious. Denial and 'waiting to see if they change more' are not good options. Please let us know the results?

Definitely have these checked.  If it is something it's better to deal with it before it progresses too far.  Melanoma is aggresssive so don't wait.

Janner
          Participant

If they haven't changed in 5-10 years, pretty unlikely to be anything concerning.  Take photos.  Watch for change.  If any itch or bother you, take those off.  Most PCP aren't the best at identifying melanoma – one study showed they missed melanoma 73% of the time.  If you are concerned, see a derm. 

I've had 3 melanoma primaries and I ONLY remove lesions that show change.  I monitor with photos.  You do what YOU think is good for you but before you undergo a lot of biopsies, I'd suggest seeing a dermatologist.

Girlfromohio
              Participant

Thanks for the reply. I did make an appointment with a dermatologist on Sept. 12th. (Earliest available). I guess looking for reassurance that if there hasn't been a change in over 5 years.., will an extra 5 weeks make a difference?!?

Janner
                Participant

If it were me and I hadn't seen changes in 5 years, then I wouldn't stress 5 weeks at all.  I'm not an alarmist, though.  If it changes, then it's gone.  If it's stable, it stays.  That's all I live by and it's worked for me for 25 years now.  You need to do what works best for YOU!

Swanee
                  Participant

Janner's advice is good!  My family doctor told me I had a blood blister and it turned out it was melanoma that I ignored upon his advice:( five years later showing up as sub cutaneous melanomas throughout my trunk! You must be with a good dermatologist that shows interest in melanoma.  The first dermatologist I had still misdiaganosed it, which delayed it even further!  If you are not satisfied with their response and/or don't feel your questions are being answered adequately, move on or ask that it be biopsied! It can be a tricky world out there with melanoma because so many GP's are not trained and they are usually the first line that we are directed to and if you don't have a clue (like me:( you trust their direction or delay your response, and in my area it takes another 3 months to get in for an appt!

Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics