The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

does melanoma appear out of nowhere?

Forums General Melanoma Community does melanoma appear out of nowhere?

Participant

Hello,

The last time I am reading a lot about melanoma, because my boyfriend has a family history of melanoma and he and I want to stay on top of things.

So I understand 50% of all melanoma's develop from pre-excisting moles, and the other 50% out of new moles. So are this new moles immediately melanoma or is it always first a atypical mole to some degree what will eventually develop in melanoma?

I saw that there are a lot of people on this forum who are having a lot of knowledge about melanoma, so I hope I can get some answers.

All my prayers to you who are battling this disease, I wish you al the best!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Aloha14
        Participant

Mine just showed up as a blister and there was no mole, just plain skin. Mine was atypical melanoma.

Aloha14
          Participant

Mine just showed up as a blister and there was no mole, just plain skin. Mine was atypical melanoma.

Aloha14
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

It can be either.  A new mole appears that eventually turns into melanoma, or a new mole appears that is melanoma, or a new "lesion" appears that isn't a mole and is melanoma. 

New and like all your other lesions is considered ok.  New and different from everything is considered worrisome and should be checked.

dutchygirl
                  Participant

Thank you Janner!

So what do you recommend, get it checked right away or wait a few weeks/months? I don't know how long it will take for melanoma to get invasive or dangerous.

My boyfriend does not have a lot of moles, maybe 10 to keep an eye on. But all do look very different from one another.

dutchygirl
                    Participant

Sorry I posted the post anonymous by accident

ed williams
                      Participant

Hi Dutchygirl, if you want to get some extra research to what has been given I have an excellent link for you. It is kind of detailed but gives a super detailed explaination of early stage melanoma with explainations of the various types of types of Melanoma alone with what pathologist look at. Best Wishes!!!Ed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wmeyNjFKQw

ed williams
                        Participant

Hi Dutchygirl, if you want to get some extra research to what has been given I have an excellent link for you. It is kind of detailed but gives a super detailed explaination of early stage melanoma with explainations of the various types of types of Melanoma alone with what pathologist look at. Best Wishes!!!Ed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wmeyNjFKQw

ed williams
                          Participant

dutchygirl
                            Participant

Thank you!

dutchygirl
                              Participant

Thank you!

dutchygirl
                                Participant

Thank you!

dutchygirl
                                  Participant

dutchygirl
                                    Participant

dutchygirl
                                      Participant

Thank you Janner!

So what do you recommend, get it checked right away or wait a few weeks/months? I don't know how long it will take for melanoma to get invasive or dangerous.

My boyfriend does not have a lot of moles, maybe 10 to keep an eye on. But all do look very different from one another.

dutchygirl
                                        Participant

Thank you Janner!

Janner
                                        Participant

It can be either.  A new mole appears that eventually turns into melanoma, or a new mole appears that is melanoma, or a new "lesion" appears that isn't a mole and is melanoma. 

New and like all your other lesions is considered ok.  New and different from everything is considered worrisome and should be checked.

Janner
                                          Participant

sarah.brannon
                                            Participant

Mine was a new mole. When it showed up, I didn't really pay it much attention. Then one day, it hurt to the touch, and I started noticing the color changing.

I say if it gives you anxiety, get it checked out. Since being declared cancer free, I've already had 2 other moles tested, just for peace of mind.

sarah.brannon
                                              Participant

Mine was a new mole. When it showed up, I didn't really pay it much attention. Then one day, it hurt to the touch, and I started noticing the color changing.

I say if it gives you anxiety, get it checked out. Since being declared cancer free, I've already had 2 other moles tested, just for peace of mind.

sarah.brannon
                                                Participant

Lhawkins
                                                  Participant
                                                    Melanoma can also develop in birthmarks. My husband’s showed up in a lentigo he had on his side. It was just a small patch of darker colored skin that began to not look right. Please, please get your skin checked once a year.
                                                    Lhawkins
                                                    Participant
                                                      Melanoma can also develop in birthmarks. My husband’s showed up in a lentigo he had on his side. It was just a small patch of darker colored skin that began to not look right. Please, please get your skin checked once a year.
                                                      Lhawkins
                                                      Participant
                                                    Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics