The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Does interferon keep you from getting sick?

Forums General Melanoma Community Does interferon keep you from getting sick?

Participant

If you are able to get through the year of interferon, does it keep you from getting common illnesses as well as keep the melanoma at bay?

By common illnesses I am referring to colds, flu, etc.

I am aware that it doesnt keep melanoma away forever, but since it does pump up the immune system, it would make sense that common illnesses would be rare as well, doesn't it?

If you are able to get through the year of interferon, does it keep you from getting common illnesses as well as keep the melanoma at bay?

By common illnesses I am referring to colds, flu, etc.

I am aware that it doesnt keep melanoma away forever, but since it does pump up the immune system, it would make sense that common illnesses would be rare as well, doesn't it?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tracy Chicago
        Participant

I felt like I always had a slight head cold while I was on interferon. I finished in March and then I got my first sinus infection for the year in October…it hasn't gone away yet!

Tracy Chicago
          Participant

I felt like I always had a slight head cold while I was on interferon. I finished in March and then I got my first sinus infection for the year in October…it hasn't gone away yet!

Phil S
            Participant

It seems to me that Interferon is often times as unpredictable as melanoma itself.  My husband has had low white cell counts for his entire 10 months of treatment, although not low enough to have to change dosage.  He got pneumonia in December during the beginning of our brutal winter.  He is doing well now, and didn't have to interrupt treatment.  Valerie (Phil's wife)

Phil S
              Participant

It seems to me that Interferon is often times as unpredictable as melanoma itself.  My husband has had low white cell counts for his entire 10 months of treatment, although not low enough to have to change dosage.  He got pneumonia in December during the beginning of our brutal winter.  He is doing well now, and didn't have to interrupt treatment.  Valerie (Phil's wife)

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics