The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Does anyone know how long I will have to have a drain in?

Forums General Melanoma Community Does anyone know how long I will have to have a drain in?

Participant

As you all may know I am about to have my melanoma removed and skin graft also the sentinel node will be done all at once.. I was told I was going to have a drain in after the node biopsy.. How long did you have yours in for? Or do you know how long? Sorry just super nervous I've never had any surgeries before .. This is my first one ever.. Thanks to the melanoma 🙁 thanks for your support everyone 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Ginger8888
        Participant

Mine was in for a week but i depends on how much fluid is coming out, you have to under a certain # before they'll take it out..Good lucjk, It's really not that bad just annoying..

Ginger8888
          Participant

Mine was in for a week but i depends on how much fluid is coming out, you have to under a certain # before they'll take it out..Good lucjk, It's really not that bad just annoying..

Jsneathen21
              Participant

Oh ok! Yea I'm just not looking forward to it:( where did you have yours at on your body?

Ginger8888
                Participant

My drain came out from my chest/ should area, my surgery went from the back of my ear all the way down my neck to my shoulder and the front of my ear along my jawline..

Ginger8888
                  Participant

My drain came out from my chest/ should area, my surgery went from the back of my ear all the way down my neck to my shoulder and the front of my ear along my jawline..

Ginger8888
                    Participant

Jsneathen21
                      Participant

Oh ok! Yea I'm just not looking forward to it:( where did you have yours at on your body?

Jsneathen21
                        Participant

Ginger8888
                        Participant

SABKLYN
                          Participant

I had two drains in my upper thigh.  I had them in for about 4-5 weeks.  That's longer I believe than what's customary.  But as the other responded mentioned, that's preducated on how much fluid you collect in the drain-bulb and transcribed into your log.  I also had a post-op infection which sent me back to Sloan for about 8 days on IV antibiotics.  That is neither usual nor totally unheard.  All in all I would say more of an annoyance.  In most cases, the drains come out after 2-3 weeks I think.

SABKLYN
                            Participant

I had two drains in my upper thigh.  I had them in for about 4-5 weeks.  That's longer I believe than what's customary.  But as the other responded mentioned, that's preducated on how much fluid you collect in the drain-bulb and transcribed into your log.  I also had a post-op infection which sent me back to Sloan for about 8 days on IV antibiotics.  That is neither usual nor totally unheard.  All in all I would say more of an annoyance.  In most cases, the drains come out after 2-3 weeks I think.

SABKLYN
                              Participant

Janner
                                Participant

FYI. Some people responding here are talking about drains after a complete lymph node dissection, not a SLNB.  Many people having a SLNB don't have drains.  Your graft might be influencing this. 

Janner
                                  Participant

FYI. Some people responding here are talking about drains after a complete lymph node dissection, not a SLNB.  Many people having a SLNB don't have drains.  Your graft might be influencing this. 

Janner
                                    Participant

momof4boys
                                        Participant
                                          That is correct, you do not have a drain for just a sentinel node because the other nodes are still there. I think there is some confusion here and details from both surgeries are being mixed. There is no need for a drain unless you have no nodes or if they do not work.
                                          momof4boys
                                          Participant
                                            That is correct, you do not have a drain for just a sentinel node because the other nodes are still there. I think there is some confusion here and details from both surgeries are being mixed. There is no need for a drain unless you have no nodes or if they do not work.
                                            momof4boys
                                            Participant
                                            Everymoment
                                            Participant
                                              Hey,
                                              I had a SNB done and the drain was in for 2 weeks. Not bad, at all. Very little pain & I could work.
                                              Isabel
                                              Everymoment
                                              Participant
                                                Hey,
                                                I had a SNB done and the drain was in for 2 weeks. Not bad, at all. Very little pain & I could work.
                                                Isabel
                                                Everymoment
                                                Participant
                                                  Hey,
                                                  Isabel
                                                  milerstar1
                                                  Participant

I have had 2 lymph node dissections now, both arms have no lymph nodes and both drains stayed in about 2 weeks.  No issues with them, just annoying, but could work and all just fine.  Even go for a run.

milerstar1
                                                    Participant

I have had 2 lymph node dissections now, both arms have no lymph nodes and both drains stayed in about 2 weeks.  No issues with them, just annoying, but could work and all just fine.  Even go for a run.

milerstar1
                                                      Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics