The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Doctor saw “blue halo”- melanoma highly likely – new mom

Forums General Melanoma Community Doctor saw “blue halo”- melanoma highly likely – new mom

Participant

I went in to have a spot on my neck looked at and the doctor(s) said they saw a blue halo, did a punch biopsy and said it's highly likely that it's melanoma. Combine that with me having an 8 week old and recently pregnant, I'm scared out of my mind from the correlation some people put with pregnancy and melanoma and how it makes it spread faster.

any input would be so appreciated. Everything I'm reading is setting me up to believe that this could be very very bad. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

You can google and scare yourself all you want, but nothing changes the fact that NOTHING can be officially determined by just looking.  Wait for the biopsy results.  THEN you can come back and ask questions.  Until then, scaring yourself and googling are just pointless.  You know nothing and everything is open game.  Not a good scenario.  WAIT WAIT WAIT.

Janner
          Participant

You can google and scare yourself all you want, but nothing changes the fact that NOTHING can be officially determined by just looking.  Wait for the biopsy results.  THEN you can come back and ask questions.  Until then, scaring yourself and googling are just pointless.  You know nothing and everything is open game.  Not a good scenario.  WAIT WAIT WAIT.

Janner
            Participant

Nemesis
              Participant

Hang in there! You don't know what it is yet. My doctor told me it was likely it wasn't melanoma, and it was. An 8 week old baby and newly pregnant – well, that takes some balls, no?

I have an almost 6 month old baby and it's been less than a week since my diagnosis. I completely understand your fear. I have read the same articles that say women who are pregnant and post partum are more likely to have metastasis and have a higher mortality rate than the rest.

When are you getting the dfefinite results?

Scared_th
                  Participant

I get the definite results tomorrow. I have an 18 month old and my 8 week old – I'm going crazy not knowing and so scared to find out. 

Scared_th
                    Participant

I get the definite results tomorrow. I have an 18 month old and my 8 week old – I'm going crazy not knowing and so scared to find out. 

Scared_th
                      Participant

Scared_th
                        Participant

the pathology report came back with "junctional melanocytic nevus, dysplastic type with severe atypia". My doctor said this was the best report I could have gotten since clinically, what her and the other doctor were seeing was melanoma. I am having it removed next week where she is going to take wider margins than usual (5-6mm) and then that will be sent to pathology. 

can anyone help me understand what exactly the path report means. Could I still have melanoma? The doctor basically said, it is an atypical mole and cells that are changing and we're lucky to have caught it now. 

Scared_th
                          Participant

the pathology report came back with "junctional melanocytic nevus, dysplastic type with severe atypia". My doctor said this was the best report I could have gotten since clinically, what her and the other doctor were seeing was melanoma. I am having it removed next week where she is going to take wider margins than usual (5-6mm) and then that will be sent to pathology. 

can anyone help me understand what exactly the path report means. Could I still have melanoma? The doctor basically said, it is an atypical mole and cells that are changing and we're lucky to have caught it now. 

Scared_th
                            Participant

Nemesis
                            Participant

Hang in there! You don't know what it is yet. My doctor told me it was likely it wasn't melanoma, and it was. An 8 week old baby and newly pregnant – well, that takes some balls, no?

I have an almost 6 month old baby and it's been less than a week since my diagnosis. I completely understand your fear. I have read the same articles that say women who are pregnant and post partum are more likely to have metastasis and have a higher mortality rate than the rest.

Nemesis
                              Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                                Participant

I had a stage 1a 6 weeks after having my daughter.. back in march..  a WLE, a pet scan, and several dyplastic nevis with WLEs later I'm still here.. now whether it is spreading or not because of my postpartum status I don't know.. my anxiety level stays on high but with a full time job and a 10 month old I don't have much time to dwell.. I feel fine.. nothing strange is going on with me and I'm seeing my dermatologist on a regular basis.. I'm very new to this and not much help but if you search this board you will find a lot of mothers who found out during or right after their pregnancies and they are still here raising their babies.. there are the exceptions of course and I've found them in my insane googling.. best advice is wait and see.. if it is get it treated.. but most importantly live and take care of your baby.. don't do like I've done and dwell and worry.. Best of luck and prayers.. Traci 

Scared_th
                                    Participant

Thanks for the reply – I'm certainly busy bc I have an 18 month old, my newborn and I work full time too – I just cannot disconnect from thinking the worse bc everything I do know is setting me up for the worse. In all of my insane blog reading etc during my pregnancy, I never once heard about the correlation. I'm praying my oversight isn't going to cost me time with my babies. 

Scared_th
                                      Participant

Thanks for the reply – I'm certainly busy bc I have an 18 month old, my newborn and I work full time too – I just cannot disconnect from thinking the worse bc everything I do know is setting me up for the worse. In all of my insane blog reading etc during my pregnancy, I never once heard about the correlation. I'm praying my oversight isn't going to cost me time with my babies. 

Scared_th
                                        Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                                        Participant

I had a stage 1a 6 weeks after having my daughter.. back in march..  a WLE, a pet scan, and several dyplastic nevis with WLEs later I'm still here.. now whether it is spreading or not because of my postpartum status I don't know.. my anxiety level stays on high but with a full time job and a 10 month old I don't have much time to dwell.. I feel fine.. nothing strange is going on with me and I'm seeing my dermatologist on a regular basis.. I'm very new to this and not much help but if you search this board you will find a lot of mothers who found out during or right after their pregnancies and they are still here raising their babies.. there are the exceptions of course and I've found them in my insane googling.. best advice is wait and see.. if it is get it treated.. but most importantly live and take care of your baby.. don't do like I've done and dwell and worry.. Best of luck and prayers.. Traci 

Aubreesmommy41
                                          Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics