The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Do you know of any east coast doctors with facilities to also stain

Forums General Melanoma Community Do you know of any east coast doctors with facilities to also stain

Participant

I'm looking for a doctor located within the facility that can read the biopsies taken during MOHS surgery with in the same day.  I think it is horrifying to have to have MOHS then go home and come back day after day for more until they have gotten all of the melanoma.  I am looking for somewhere other than Duke University .  I live in VA. 

Thanks

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

They probably do the staged Mohs for a reason.  Melanoma is easier seen under a microscope when the pathology uses paraffin and stains.  Mohs, itself, typically uses frozen sections techniques for squamous and basal cell — much quicker.  So while you say it is barbaric, it is probably the safest method if they indeed are doing actual pathology and that is the cause of the staged delay.

Janner
          Participant

They probably do the staged Mohs for a reason.  Melanoma is easier seen under a microscope when the pathology uses paraffin and stains.  Mohs, itself, typically uses frozen sections techniques for squamous and basal cell — much quicker.  So while you say it is barbaric, it is probably the safest method if they indeed are doing actual pathology and that is the cause of the staged delay.

Janner
            Participant

BrianP
              Participant

I've had a couple MOHS procedures to remove basal cell from my face.  The facility I had it done did it all at once.  Thery'd remove some, look at it, then come back and take more and repeat until they got it all.  It was done at Coastal Dermatology in New Bern NC.  I just figured that's how everyone did it.  I think if you call around it shouldn't be too hard to find someone capable of doing it all in one visit.

BrianP
                Participant

I've had a couple MOHS procedures to remove basal cell from my face.  The facility I had it done did it all at once.  Thery'd remove some, look at it, then come back and take more and repeat until they got it all.  It was done at Coastal Dermatology in New Bern NC.  I just figured that's how everyone did it.  I think if you call around it shouldn't be too hard to find someone capable of doing it all in one visit.

BrianP
                  Participant

Julie in SoCal
                    Participant

As I understand it, they are recommending the slow MOHs because with melanoma it is impossible to read the pathology of the excised specimen quickly as it does not freeze well.  So in order to get clear margins they will need to cut away until they reach the no-melanoma zone +5cm.

You could try to get a second, or third opinion at Moffat in FL, or Sloan Kettering in NY, but I'm guessing that you'd get the same answers your Dr is giving you now: fast WLE or slow MOHs.

I'm really sorry you are going through this,

Shalom,

Julie

BrianP
                        Participant

Maybe the MOHS procedure is a little different when they are removing melanoma vs. basal cell. 

BrianP
                          Participant

Maybe the MOHS procedure is a little different when they are removing melanoma vs. basal cell. 

BrianP
                            Participant

Julie in SoCal
                            Participant

As I understand it, they are recommending the slow MOHs because with melanoma it is impossible to read the pathology of the excised specimen quickly as it does not freeze well.  So in order to get clear margins they will need to cut away until they reach the no-melanoma zone +5cm.

You could try to get a second, or third opinion at Moffat in FL, or Sloan Kettering in NY, but I'm guessing that you'd get the same answers your Dr is giving you now: fast WLE or slow MOHs.

Shalom,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                              Participant

Shalom,

Julie

ET-SF
                                Participant

Duke is a very good place to be!  Local to Virginia, depending on your part of Virginia, is Dr. Brian Johnson in Norfolk and Newport News.  He's an excellent MOHS surgeon who has achieved astonishingly good cosmetic results on a couple of neighbors of ours.  My understanding is that they read biopsies the same day and keep nibbling until all is clear, but you would need to confirm with him  I don't know whether he handles melanomas.  ET's melanoma was a bit more advanced than anything addressable with MOHS, so we were referred to a general surgeon (Elizabeth O'Neil — also quite good) for the WAE and SLNB.  Even after all the nibbling, the tissues would need more careful confirmation, and it's possible you would need to come back in to nibble more.  This was true even with ET's WAE and SLNB.  It was a few days before we got the "all clear" confirmation from the lab for the surgery that was done.  We were prepared for the possibility ET would have to go back under the knife, which thankfully she didn't.

ET-SF
                                  Participant

Duke is a very good place to be!  Local to Virginia, depending on your part of Virginia, is Dr. Brian Johnson in Norfolk and Newport News.  He's an excellent MOHS surgeon who has achieved astonishingly good cosmetic results on a couple of neighbors of ours.  My understanding is that they read biopsies the same day and keep nibbling until all is clear, but you would need to confirm with him  I don't know whether he handles melanomas.  ET's melanoma was a bit more advanced than anything addressable with MOHS, so we were referred to a general surgeon (Elizabeth O'Neil — also quite good) for the WAE and SLNB.  Even after all the nibbling, the tissues would need more careful confirmation, and it's possible you would need to come back in to nibble more.  This was true even with ET's WAE and SLNB.  It was a few days before we got the "all clear" confirmation from the lab for the surgery that was done.  We were prepared for the possibility ET would have to go back under the knife, which thankfully she didn't.

ET-SF
                                      Participant

PS It may clarify things to understand that formalin-fixing, paraffin embedding, staining, slicing, and mounting are not instant chicken soup.  It takes considerable time to process the tissues.  This is why the best answers take days to come back.

ET-SF
                                        Participant

PS It may clarify things to understand that formalin-fixing, paraffin embedding, staining, slicing, and mounting are not instant chicken soup.  It takes considerable time to process the tissues.  This is why the best answers take days to come back.

ET-SF
                                          Participant

ET-SF
                                          Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics