The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Do You Believe In Monsters?

Forums General Melanoma Community Do You Believe In Monsters?

Participant

August 14, 2010

August 14, 2010

I have personally known a few monsters at different times in my life, some who have loved the dark places in my youth. For example, in my bedroom at times they loved to lie in wait for me just to scare the pants off me. Sometimes from my closet or even more closely from under my bed was a favorite place for my monsters to hide, which made going to sleep almost impossible. The dark… the monsters… the unknown… the long shadows moving this way and that way just waiting to consume me. I will never forget that feeling of absolute terror.

Bob and I visited the doctor’s office (Oncologist) on Wednesday listening to our options for treatment. I do say “our” because we are in this together, I have taken my vow of  “for better or worse” seriously as I look over at him with tears in my eyes. It’s the first time I could not hold them back and for that I am sorry, very sorry.

We are in stage 3 (stage 4 involves an organ), but today Bob is cancer free.

Today all tests indicate there is no sign of melanoma seen within/without his body (that any machinery to find). But we still can’t forget that the primary melanoma that caused the cancerous tumor in his leg in the first place is still at large and too small for any test to find.

The monster is in the dark and waiting.

Since all is quiet within Bob’s body, this melanoma can’t be treated by any chemotherapy, the doctor says. Option 1, Try Interferon which boosts up the immune systems, it takes 2 years and makes one very sick the whole time you are on it, and has only a 5% chance of working. Option 2, Join a trial study group that uses a vaccine for melanoma. 2 of 3 people get the vaccine, 1 person gets a placebo. Option 3? Do nothing.

I looked over at my husband realizing if love ever had a meaning for me it was today as it slammed against my chest beating wickedly, straining as my heart tried to catch up to the very foundation of what our lives going to be from this day forward. What if…

If you would like to follow our family blog page please go here:

http://redesign08.blogspot.com/

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        joy_
        Participant

I just wanted you to know that we are in a very similar situation.  My husband has recently moved to stage IIIc.  Like you, we are in this together.  My husband will be entering the vaccine trial that you mentioned if his qualifies for antigen they are looking for.  When he was first diagnosed he was given the option of interferon and entered a randomized clincial trial and was placed on the observation end receiving no interferon.

I wish you both all the best.  Feel free to email me if you ever need someone to talk to who is going through the same thing.

Tracy

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics